FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #5,221 of 6,777
So would a e17 (or e7 for that matter) help if I have a dodgy headphone jack on the ipod itself?  I assume the setup would be Ipod>amp>headphones?

Short answer is yes. If you were to purchase a L9 line out dongle (LOD) with your E17, you can plug it into the 30 pin connector on the bottom of the iPod and the other end to AUX in on the E17. Your headphones would plug into the headphone jack on the E17 - the iPod headphone jack isn't even used. This setup is the most common way E17 users attach to iPods/iPhones. A very small percentage will use the included L8 dongle to connect the headphone jack from the iPod to the AUX in on the E17, but this results in double-amping. and poorer sound quality. A really small number of users will spend big money to buy something like the Fostex HP-P1 so they can use the iPod/iPhone digital output and bypass both the internal amp and DAC.

L8 dongle:

L9 LOD:

Dale

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #5,223 of 6,777
I currently solely use an iPod nano 3g as source / dac / amp.

But seeing as I recently bought a Denon D5000,
I think I've got 2 options:

to only take the amping part away from the iPod (If so, I like the looks of the FiiO E12)
or to lift both the task of DAC & amp to another portable device (for example fiio e17)

haven't really looked further & thought I might make some use of the expertise of you guys :wink:
Budget would be about 150 - 200$

Any suggestions guys, thanks in advance :DD

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #5,224 of 6,777
Quote:

But seeing as I recently bought a Denon D5000,
I think I've got 2 options:

to only take the amping part away from the iPod (If so, I like the looks of the FiiO E12)
or to lift both the task of DAC & amp to another portable device (for example fiio e17)

haven't really looked further & thought I might make some use of the expertise of you guys :wink:
Budget would be about 150 - 200$

Any suggestions guys, thanks in advance :DD

No. FiiOs do not bypass DAC of iPod and E17 is not an example. HP P1 and CLAS and that new sony and the VAMP is.

I'm guessing you want these for portable purposes right? Some take their Denon's D series out but they do look big.

I believe Denon's aren't hard to drive but hey, who knows. Everyone is different. If you want a portable amp for those. There are Headroom's, iBasso's, the E17/E07K/and soon to be E12 and a few others.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #5,225 of 6,777
Might create my own thread for this but I figured I'd post here first. Which would you say is better DAC for DAC the Fiio E17 vs ASUS Xonar Essence? 

I can't decide which to go for I used to have the Essence a long time ago so that's at least familiar, however I really like the Fiio E7/E9 combination. 

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #5,226 of 6,777
Quote:
No. FiiOs do not bypass DAC of iPod and E17 is not an example. HP P1 and CLAS and that new sony and the VAMP is.

I'm guessing you want these for portable purposes right? Some take their Denon's D series out but they do look big.

I believe Denon's aren't hard to drive but hey, who knows. Everyone is different. If you want a portable amp for those. There are Headroom's, iBasso's, the E17/E07K/and soon to be E12 and a few others.

Ah sorry for not stating clearly that I do use my D5000's both at school and at home, so I need a device to complete my portable rig

I'm going to trade my beats studio for an iPod Touch 4G 32GB,

and I think / assume an iPod Touch 4G has got a better dac compared to iPod Nano 3G.

So FiiO devices don't bypass internal iPod dac when u use an LOD-cable? I misunderstood then, and then I'd be looking for a portable amp to power the D5000 when combined with the iPod Touch I'm soon getting.

I really like the look of the FiiO E12, any thoughts?

Much obliged & appreciated bro :DD

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #5,227 of 6,777
Quote:
So FiiO devices don't bypass internal iPod dac when u use an LOD-cable? I misunderstood then, and then I'd be looking for a portable amp to power the D5000 when combined with the iPod Touch I'm soon getting.

Correct, a LOD is a line out dongle, i.e. it provides an analog line out from the iPod/iPhone 30 pin connector (or from the Lightning connector with a 30 pin adapter). The DAC in the iPod/iPhone is still used. You could use the E17 as just an amplifier by using the AUX input, but I suspect the E12 is going to become the preference for iPod/iPhone users that just want better, cleaner amplification than the amp built in to the iPod/iPhone.

The alternative of buying a HP-P1, CLAS, or any of the others that bypass the iPod/iPhone DAC is just too cost prohibitive for most folks, me included. 

Dale

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #5,228 of 6,777
Quote:
Ah sorry for not stating clearly that I do use my D5000's both at school and at home, so I need a device to complete my portable rig

and I think / assume an iPod Touch 4G has got a better dac compared to iPod Nano 3G.

No idea. It is kinda hard to get accurate chip models off Apple devices. Org/Companies like Chipworks do it sometimes but mainly for the phones. It wouldn't help anyway. The models that are on the chips are special and don't relate to any product Cirrus Logic or Wolfson had. Post 2008, most DAC's they use on their portable products use custom models and are custom designed.

No, they do no. They are only able to bypass iPod amp and headphone jack.

There are devices that can do what you want. But they are very expensive. The licensing  from Apple is a huge cost addition.

Thoughts are all on the page for it. It is not available yet. Only specs are out. It is quite powerful for the price and portability thoughl

Keep in mind that Lightning based iPod/iPhone devices can not directly use LOD's. The work arounds and what not are still a little problematic. It seems you can use an LOD if you use the Apple lightning to 30 pin adapter but from the looks of it, you will be using the cheap low class wolfson inside of it instead of the proper good DAC.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5,229 of 6,777
Quote:

No more Beats?

Very nice. Congrats.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #5,230 of 6,777
Quote:

That's a killer deal, congrats! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #5,231 of 6,777
I listen to majority of my music on my iPod, with college and all, I'm just not at the laptop that much. Would I be better off with this E17 or the E11?
At the moment I've nothing hectic that needs incredible power, Suoerlux HD668B,Denon AH-D1100 and some Alessandros. I do plan to upgrade when finances allow.
So guys, what yous think?

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #5,232 of 6,777
I would still go with the E17, it's just as good as the E11 as a portable amp, but has the option to be an amp AND a DAC when you are near your laptop. The EQ in the E17 is also fantastic, and is nice to have. 
Quote:
I listen to majority of my music on my iPod, with college and all, I'm just not at the laptop that much. Would I be better off with this E17 or the E11?
At the moment I've nothing hectic that needs incredible power, Suoerlux HD668B,Denon AH-D1100 and some Alessandros. I do plan to upgrade when finances allow.
So guys, what yous think?

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #5,235 of 6,777
Yep. While I do value functionality and versatility very much, at the current price difference it may be hard to recommend the E17 over the E11. But consider these 4 points:
1) Extra battery life on the amp
2) More flexibility and control on EQ
3) Cost constraints (regardless of "value", simply and purely total cost)
4) Occasional DAC use or probably purely amp

Assuming you've answered NO for the points not mentioned below, and you are looking purely at FiiO products (which are great at value IMO):
If you answered YES for 1 & 3, then E11 might be better.
If you answered YES for 2 & 4, then E17 might be better.
If you answered YES for 1 and/or 3 in addition to 2 & 4, then maybe you can consider the E07K also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back