FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #5,206 of 6,777
Is E17 compatible with USB audio output on Synology NAS? Anyone tried it?
Thanks

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #5,208 of 6,777
What was the problem with it and the Dell?
Quote:
Yay, the E17 never played nice with my Dell latitude XT, but it works great with my new Lenovo X230.

So glad to have good sound with my portable writing station now :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #5,210 of 6,777
Gotcha. Glad the new laptop works better.
Quote:

That model always had grounding issues, so who knows what the root problem was, but any attempt to play music over USB was met with a layer of static over the intended sound.  Tested it in Windows 7, 8, and Ubuntu, no change.

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #5,211 of 6,777
Quote:
If I am correct, Chris is saying that since the E17 doesn't sport as much power as E09K (designed to work for 600ohms impedance headphones), the E17 is meant for headphones with low to medium amount of impedance (let's say "medium" is around 300 ohms) with mid to high sensitivity. Sensitivity & impedance = rough idea of efficiency.
And by efficiency it's sound level per unit of power.

You got all that basically correct.      Someone should buy you a drink!
I'll try to expand.............with a short, oversimplified answer:

The E17 outputs less voltage so is less suitable for high impedance headphones
and outputs less current and less power so would be more suitable for high efficiency 'phones.
E17 should be able to drive any Grado, for example.

Obviously the E09K outputs more voltage so better for high impedance 'phones
and outputs more current and power so would be more suitable for lower efficiency 'phones.
So if you had a low impedance, low efficiency 'phone, you may need the E09K.
The Audeze LCD-2 guys would want the E09K.          In actual practice, anyone with enough $$$ for the LCD-2 would buy a much more $$$ headphone amp anyway.

Yes, efficiency is the sound level per unit of power:  for example: 96 dB SPL @ 1 milliWatt

Sensitivity is sound output per unit of Voltage,   for example:      105 dB SPL @ 1 Volt

Having said all that, I use the E09K + E17 for my Q701s because I like the sound of that system even though the E17 + Q701 alone is loud enough for me.

Here's your drink by the way:
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #5,212 of 6,777
has anyone had a problem with their fiio e17 only playing music out of one side of their earphone/headphone? I have to manually adjust it for a few mins to be able to hear both channels

tried my headphones in other things such as my phone and pc and it works fine. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #5,217 of 6,777
has anyone had a problem with their fiio e17 only playing music out of one side of their earphone/headphone? I have to manually adjust it for a few mins to be able to hear both channels

tried my headphones in other things such as my phone and pc and it works fine. 

Does your E17 say "E17" on its back or "Alpen"?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #5,218 of 6,777
Not necessarily, one chap has been driving a set of HD800's (300 ohms) with great results apparently. I hope to test mine out in a week or so's time...

That chap would be me, although now that I'm home from vacation, the E9 is being used pretty much exclusively. The E17 does a fair job with my new HD800s but the E9 and numerous other even better amps are the prefered solution. I'm amazed that the E17 did an admirable job, albeit using some equalization to suit my tastes. Now with the E17 docked to my E9 and using the USB input with no equalization, the HD800s have opened up even more.

I'm looking forward to the day I have enough money to get a decent balanced cable and likely a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir amp/dac combo! BTW - here's a pic of my temporary setup in the living room - too much craps on my desk for my E9/E17 and my cheap-***** headphone stand. :D

Dale

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #5,219 of 6,777
Quote:
That chap would be me, although now that I'm home from vacation, the E9 is being used pretty much exclusively. The E17 does a fair job with my new HD800s but the E9 and numerous other even better amps are the prefered solution. I'm amazed that the E17 did an admirable job, albeit using some equalization to suit my tastes. Now with the E17 docked to my E9 and using the USB input with no equalization, the HD800s have opened up even more.
I'm looking forward to the day I have enough money to get a decent balanced cable and likely a Schiit Mjolnir/Gungnir amp/dac combo! BTW - here's a pic of my temporary setup in the living room - too much craps on my desk for my E9/E17 and my cheap-***** headphone stand.
biggrin.gif

Dale

Just makes me lust for HD800s even more!

Jan 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #5,220 of 6,777
So would a e17 (or e7 for that matter) help if I have a dodgy headphone jack on the ipod itself?  I assume the setup would be Ipod>amp>headphones?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back