FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 2, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #5,191 of 6,777
Exactly. Many also think the E17 is not worthy of being paired with the Q701 either, but I think it does an excellent job, especially if you aren't a loud listener. 
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more! While the E17 may not be rated to drive 250 - 600 ohm cans, it certainly surprised me when I tried it with my new HD800s. I don't really have a choice right now as I'm on vacation and only brought the E17 with me. It was that or use my iPhone or MacBook Pro outputs on their own. Each persons ears play a big part in what we hear so what's acceptable to me may not be to you.
Dale

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5,192 of 6,777
By the way, if you want a portable high-impedance-headphone amp, FiiO's E12 seems to pack quite the punch...

Quote: feiao
The input impedance should higher than 10K, and the output impedance is less than 0.5 ohms. the final output power is >850mW at 32ohms.

E17: 
> 220 mW@32Ω​
E09K: ​
> 900 mW@32Ω​

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #5,193 of 6,777
Well, I did clearly say "playing music loud with authority".   I either have a dramatically different threshold for 'loud' than either of you, or that part was skipped before responding.  (p.s. I should have probably said something like "loud, as in irresponsible levels of clear and loud" to make my semantics clear.)

Yes, I think the E17 sounds quite nice w/my DT880 even using a 1V source (iPod or Cable-box output) but only to [ahem] 'responsible' output levels.  When on 12db gain and output turned up to say 55 - 60, the distortion is very prevalent but output is nowhere near what I can get with either of my desktop amps; and I'd imagine the E09K dock would however be able to match my two Little Dots.  ...that's all I'm saying. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5,194 of 6,777
I was only adding the information that the E12 is coming out soon 
biggrin.gif

Sorry if it seemed like I was saying anything against you. Let me edit it to make it sound more like a random statement about higher output power choices.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #5,195 of 6,777
Hahaha... no no, I meant "the two of you" in response to the two prior post to you. ... I knew I should have used Multi-Quote.  :p

I appreciate the FYI/reminder you gave me/us.  :)

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #5,196 of 6,777
Well, I did clearly say "playing music loud with authority".   I either have a dramatically different threshold for 'loud' than either of you, or that part was skipped before responding.  (p.s. I should have probably said something like "loud, as in irresponsible levels of clear and loud" to make my semantics clear.)

I'm sure we do have different definitions of "loud with authority'. I never expected the E17 to drive the HD800 to anywhere near what I consider a reasonable level, but for me they do.

Yes, I think the E17 sounds quite nice w/my DT880 even using a 1V source (iPod or Cable-box output) but only to [ahem] 'responsible' output levels.  When on 12db gain and output turned up to say 55 - 60, the distortion is very prevalent but output is nowhere near what I can get with either of my desktop amps; and I'd imagine the E09K dock would however be able to match my two Little Dots.  ...that's all I'm saying.

I'm using the E17 with the HD800s with settings of gain 12, bass +8, treble -2 and listen at volumes between 25 and 35. I'll agree that distortion sets in at volumes above 45 but thankfully I haven't had need to go higher.

I wasn't trying to entirely dismiss your comments, especially since we all have different ears. I just disagreed with the thought that the E17 shouldn't be used with 250 - 600 ohm cans.

Dale

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #5,197 of 6,777
Wow, bass +8 and treble -2? To me, it sounds like the HD800 may not be the best option for you anyway. I don't have a problem with a small amount of EQ, but I don't consider an 8db boost to me a small amount. With my Q701 I usually use +2 bass, but sometimes +4 bass with electronic music.

On the other hand, if it sounds good TO YOU, then keep on rockin. 
L3000.gif

Quote:
I'm sure we do have different definitions of "loud with authority'. I never expected the E17 to drive the HD800 to anywhere near what I consider a reasonable level, but for me they do.
I'm using the E17 with the HD800s with settings of gain 12, bass +8, treble -2 and listen at volumes between 25 and 35. I'll agree that distortion sets in at volumes above 45 but thankfully I haven't had need to go higher.
I wasn't trying to entirely dismiss your comments, especially since we all have different ears. I just disagreed with the thought that the E17 shouldn't be used with 250 - 600 ohm cans.
Dale

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM Post #5,199 of 6,777
Couldn't agree more Chris! The E9 opens up my old DT770 Pro 250 ohm Beyers, so it'll be interesting to hear what it does with my HD800s.
McNuggetsPie - don't fret yet! If the E09K doesn't work out for you, you should be able to resell it at a minimal loss, if any.
Dale

If you don't like the E09K with Q701, keep it.
It may work with headphones you get in the future.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #5,201 of 6,777
Is E17 better for low impedance headphones? Is it more suited to those?

Short answer:

The E09K outputs more power into low impedance loads than the E17.

The E17 works best with mid to high efficiency low impedance 'phones.

OTOH, the E17 has a lower output impedance.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #5,202 of 6,777
Quote:

Short answer:
The E09K outputs more power into low impedance loads than the E17.
The E17 works best with mid to high efficiency low impedance 'phones.
OTOH, the E17 has a lower output impedance.

So for low impedance E17 is better by itself?
And how do i find out the efficiency of headphones? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in specs.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5,204 of 6,777
Quote:
And how do i find out the efficiency of headphones? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in specs.

If I am correct, Chris is saying that since the E17 doesn't sport as much power as E09K (designed to work for 600ohms impedance headphones), the E17 is meant for headphones with low to medium amount of impedance (let's say "medium" is around 300 ohms) with mid to high sensitivity. Sensitivity & impedance = rough idea of efficiency.
And by efficiency it's sound level per unit of power.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #5,205 of 6,777
Quote:

You determine the efficiency of headphones by listening to them and coming to your own conclusions, or reading trusted reviews and making informed decisions. Your asking a lot of questions that really don't have definitive answers.Everyone hears things a little differently then someone else, you can't just ask if they E17 is going to sound better in general, because different people have different preferences. You simply need to listen for yourself and make your own choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back