FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #5,102 of 6,777
Quote:
Too much midrange? What's that?!
Okay okay, too much mids is easier to accept but some good balance is still required.

If you're a flathead then you must be a midrangehead, since we're most sensitive to midrange!
Unless you're the driver variant, then I don't know what you might be sensitive to. Will have to look at your specs sheet!

My specs:
20 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 0.1 dB
20 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 15 degrees phase shift
S/N:    >96 dB
THD:  < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
IM:     < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
SID:    < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
TIM:    <  0.001 % @ 1 kHz, broadband curves available upon request.
I must be nuts......what's wrong with me.....
confused_face_2.gif

Hmmm, maybe we should start a thread for fun and fun only, no judgement:
Thread will allow people to vote on:
are you a basshead
are you a treblehead
are you a midrange head
are you a flathead.....which is really a midrange head?
please discuss your choice 
wink_face.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #5,103 of 6,777
Quote:
Judt thought I would let you know that I purchased an e17 of amazon and I checked on the web site and it shows up as fake.just great I thought

The website will tell you its fake if the code has been inputted more than twice. That is what it said for me. 

I don't think there are any fake E17's? What did the message say?

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #5,104 of 6,777
Quote:
How much do the Bass/Treble adjustments actually affect the sound? eg for the M50 how much would I have to lower/change the bass and treble to get it as neutral as possible?

I have been trying to use them with my 770s (they are on burn in right now....I'm trying to get in some serious burn in time before I try to dial them in again) and the sound is quite neutral.

The changes greatly affect the sound and one thing I thought weird the scale is -10 to +10 but pushing plus move you up by two so fine tuning doesn't seem to be a good goal, just look for the sound you want.   You can effect a wide degree of change between the 3 EQ setting and the gain. Changing the gain will change how the EQ is working as well.

Mostly I just replied to this to say Thanks Guys!  For lightening up on me.  The E17 is perfect if you have a laptop I just didn't get the amp part and I'll keep playing with it with different cans.
My goal would be to get a nicely colored signal and control over those big bass drivers in the 770. 

Amyway you guys are cool, real people, to call me out as a troll and then get real about it is a super cool thing to do that you don't see very often in online communities.  That shows me this one must be pretty solid.

Thanks

-Pablo

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5,105 of 6,777
Quote:
Good question! I was going back and forth between 0 and 6db on both the E17 and E09K and prefer everything on 0db as it keeps the dynamic range of a recording intact, even if the bass often lacks punch. That said, I found too much DR can be a problem too. I guess it also depends on how loud a recording was mastered in the first place.

Thats true.  If you weren't concerned about dynamic range and just needed it louder I think you'd have more punch by going with 6DB.  A lot of this reminds me how car stereos are best setup,
That is if you have a stereo its best to put in an AMP and listen at volume 10 on your deck than just crank your deck to 20.

But I should probably just shut up while I'm ahead.... :)

-peace

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #5,106 of 6,777
Quote:

My specs:
20 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 0.1 dB
20 Hz - 20 kHz, +/- 15 degrees phase shift
S/N:    >96 dB
THD:  < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
IM:     < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
SID:    < 0.001 % @ 1 kHz
TIM:    <  0.001 % @ 1 kHz, broadband curves available upon request.
I must be nuts......what's wrong with me.....
confused_face_2.gif

You lost me there lol.
Oh, I see what you did. Rather, seems I lost you in the previous one. Of course by a flathead driver I meant those used to fasten screws
wink.gif

So no you're not nuts, you're drivers. Need a wrench for nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmm, maybe we should start a thread for fun and fun only, no judgement:
Thread will allow people to vote on:
are you a basshead
are you a treblehead
are you a midrange head
are you a flathead.....which is really a midrange head?
please discuss your choice 
wink_face.gif

If you do make that thread, PM me the link LOL.

I guess we should stop rolling this thread into the hay.

Speaking of which, dropped my E17 the other day :< -slightly- dented the back face. Unlucky that I dropped it on some steel bolt in the bus. Just a scratch, works perfectly, still looks perfect without a proper inspection, move on! :D

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #5,107 of 6,777
The web site came up with a box with a smiley face but it was a sad smiley face and it said it was fake.that was the first time I input the code.
I was going to email Fiio and get them to check the code out for me and if its fake let them know who it was of Amazon.
I have emailed the shop on amazon but they have not come back to me.
They have three days in which to get back to me.
I'm using it with my ipad and a new set of beyers.
Thing is I went on to iTunes and reloaded all my music in 320k so I don't know if its the fiio that's improved the sound of the fiio.
I have an E7 so will try that and compare the 2

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #5,108 of 6,777
You lost me there lol.
Oh, I see what you did. Rather, seems I lost you in the previous one. Of course by a flathead driver I meant those used to fasten screws :wink:
So no you're not nuts, you're drivers. Need a wrench for nuts.

If you do make that thread, PM me the link LOL.

I guess we should stop rolling this thread into the hay.

Speaking of which, dropped my E17 the other day :< -slightly- dented the back face. Unlucky that I dropped it on some steel bolt in the bus. Just a scratch, works perfectly, still looks perfect without a proper inspection, move on! :D

Sounds like I'm just weirdly eccentric!, :p

I'll try and start that thread tonight!

Glad to hear that your E17 still works, sorry about the scratch though. At least you didn't drop it on the front face...........that would be...:mad:

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #5,109 of 6,777
OK guys, sorry if this has been addressed. I searched but did not find any definitive answers.

I want to purchase an E17 and use as my primary portable. I would feed it with an iPhone 5 exclusively. 

Question 1: Will the E17 decode a USB signal from the iPhone5?

Question 2: Is there a full size USB adapter from Fiio? I saw some sort of adapter in the pics in the thread.

I understand that there are lightning to USB adapters from Apple but those have the DAC built in and I want to send a straight digital signal to the E17. 

Thanks.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #5,110 of 6,777
OK guys, sorry if this has been addressed. I searched but did not find any definitive answers.

I want to purchase an E17 and use as my primary portable. I would feed it with an iPhone 5 exclusively. 

Question 2: Is there a full size USB adapter from Fiio? I saw some sort of adapter in the pics in the thread.

I understand that there are lightning to USB adapters from Apple but those have the DAC built in and I want to send a straight digital signal to the E17. 

Thanks.

I don't think the lightning connector has any line out leads to it so there is probably no USB means for it yet. But even for 30pin connection iDevices using LOD's, I believe only those $500+ amp models can get straight digital signal out. The price point is likely in large due to the cost Apple charged them to activate that function.

As usual, if my answer is inaccurate or incorrect, feel free to correct and enlighten me!

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #5,111 of 6,777
Quote:
I don't think the lightning connector has any line out leads to it so there is probably no USB means for it yet. But even for 30pin connection iDevices using LOD's, I believe only those $500+ amp models can get straight digital signal out. The price point is likely in large due to the cost Apple charged them to activate that function.
As usual, if my answer is inaccurate or incorrect, feel free to correct and enlighten me!

I can use my phone in my 2012 model car lightning directly to USB. No adapter required so I am guessing there is a digital signal there to decode. The Go-DAP X also decodes directly from USB on a standard lightning cable. I was hoping someone had tried this with the E17. I was also hoping there was an adapter similar to http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/lightbox/post/8513984/id/640046/user/177424

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #5,112 of 6,777
Quote:

Thanks.

Unfortunately the E17 is not Apple compatible, i.e. it will not read a digital audio bitstream off an iPhone or iPod.
I have a cable that goes between my iPod and the E17, but it takes an analog signal from the multi pin connector on the iPod.

I have an iBasso D12 DAC, it is not Apple compatible either.
frown.gif

Apparently you can buy a camera connector kit from Apple which you plug into an iPad. It, in turn, has a USB port on it, but you need to add some type of special USB port adaptor thingy to go to a DAC with a USB input, apparently you cannot draw much current from the iPad's multi pin connector, and most USB connections draw too much current.  Apparently these adaptors are not expensive.

Several years ago I bought a Wadia 170i dock.  Back then it was the only game in town, other than using the analog (headphone) output on the iPod. 
You put your iPhone or iPod into the dock, the dock has an RCA SPDIF digital output, which you can plug into any DAC with an RCA SPDIF digital input.
Bad news, the Wadia 170i is $tupid expen$ive. Maybe you can find a used one on the market?   This sounds way better than using the iPod's headphone jack. 

Somewhere on Head Fi there is a thread with a title something like "What DACs are Apple compatible?".  This thread has information which can explain this better than I can............I'm not a digital hardware expert!

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5,113 of 6,777
Thanks. Maybe Fiio will make the E18 iDevice compatible. I am going to have to go to the Go-DAP X route I guess. Its the least expensive alternative right now yet still about 4 times the E17. Should have stuck with my iPhone 4S.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #5,114 of 6,777
Thanks. Maybe Fiio will make the E18 iDevice compatible. I am going to have to go to the Go-DAP X route I guess. Its the least expensive alternative right now yet still about 4 times the E17. Should have stuck with my iPhone 4S.

As of right now it cant. You nee to apply for a lisence with them. They have applied every year I believe but Apple doesnt trust Chinese companies

Thanks.

No.

That is the L7 i think you saw. It bypasses E17/E7/E07K amplifiers so you can use your own amp.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #5,115 of 6,777
Quote:
Thats true.  If you weren't concerned about dynamic range and just needed it louder I think you'd have more punch by going with 6DB.  A lot of this reminds me how car stereos are best setup,
That is if you have a stereo its best to put in an AMP and listen at volume 10 on your deck than just crank your deck to 20.

But I should probably just shut up while I'm ahead.... :)

-peace

On a side note: I'm doing the occasional voiceover and a bit of music with my ancient analogue recorder and a while ago a top-notch engineer set the input gain of my microphone extremely low and instead increased the volume quite considerably via the volume control. This made the background hiss very noticeable. He then suggested to kill the noise in SoundForge with the noise reduction plugin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back