FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #5,057 of 6,777

What can I say? Your headphone rig sounds really complicated, I wouldn't expect to get good results from this, but if it works for you, cool!

Looks like your computer sound card has a damn good DAC!

The FiiO E17 & E09K (or E09?) etc is really just a good DAC & amp for the money. It's not supposed to be the world's greatest DAC and Headphone Amp.

I guess you would have been happier with one of the expensive Headphone Amps you listened to in the shop?

But I guess they are too $$$ ?

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #5,058 of 6,777
Quote:
Yes. But noy recommended. You are amping a terrible source.

Yes, E17 uses class 1 self contained audio drivers. It should work unless there are heavy restrictions on the PC

Yeah there are restrictions so i will have to use AUX. Will that still do a decent job and only the amp not the dac works then right?

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #5,059 of 6,777
What can I say? Your headphone rig sounds really complicated, I wouldn't expect to get good results from this, but if it works for you, cool!
The FiiO E17 & E09K (or E09?) etc is really just a good DAC & amp for the money. It's not supposed to be the world's greatest DAC and Headphone Amp.
I guess you would have been happier with one of the expensive Headphone Amps you listened to in the shop?

Computer onboards have high specs but suck. The majority support 192/24 but are terrible dac and amp.

Yeah there are restrictions so i will have to use AUX. Will that still do a decent job and only the amp not the dac works then right?

It will just amp a bad signal

Aux in only uses amp of Andes and Alpen

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #5,060 of 6,777
Quote:

I wish it was less complex and I could get rid of the SS amp eventually. I also preferred the look of the E17 "married" to the E09K (yes, it's the updated version). Like yourself, it's not at all what I expected, what with the extra components and wires (which I think would have added all kinds of hiss, muffle etc.). Anyway, I guess I got lucky for once. Can't tell you how impressed I am with the sound now!
smile.gif

Of course, in an ideal world I'd go for the best headphone amp out there, but
neither do I see the point of spending a fortune (diminishing returns) nor would I have the funds. Regarding laptop soundcards, there was someone on Amazon who also didn't think the E17 made much of a difference to his setup - apparently his Apple Mac came with a superior card. Mind you, it's a very different story with my old desktop PC.

Apologies if what I said sounded too much like a bashing of the E09K/E17. It's just my opinion that, as a stand-alone unit, it should have better amplification, i.e. sound fuller and a bit less tinny than it does, given it has such a great DAC. (The "shortcomings" were less obvious to me with more stripped-down and rhythm-based music (I mostly listen to funk, soul and electronic music) but the busier rock and indie stuff got rather tiresome. I guess it's okay at lower volume levels but not satisfactory to me at higher levels (and no, I rarely listen past 12 o'clock). I also think that adding bass or treble on the E17 compromises the clarity to a degree. I prefer a clear signal and then add some EQ on Foobar if needed.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #5,063 of 6,777
I'm just curious why anybody would need headphone amps for regular low Ohm headphones?  I was all over amazon (probably bad start) and everybody was buying the audio-technica pro770 (probaby another bad move) with one of these amplifiers. 

I come from the studio world and having been using beats solo HD and my android to walk the dog.  I wanted bigger over ear headphones. 

The ATs came and plugged right into the android they sound horrible, horrible, compared to the beats solo.  Why is this?  Why at similar resistance would
the ATs sound so bad? 

so why do 1)I need an amp for AT-PRO770s

if the OHMs are fine for my phone to drive if the quality is bad isn't it that the cans sound bad and why would I fix that by buying more stuff instead of an AMP.

I get the DAC use, but not really when you can buy a real audio interface like a transit or a DUO or something that will give you a great DAC.

I get headphone AMPs for pushing high Ohm headphones. 

But what is the E17 going to do for me to my ATPRO770s out of my android after I charge it for 12 hours.

The AT770s plugged into my ipod or into my home studio have a huge gross disgusting muddy low end that I can't fix. 

Is this what "bass heads" wants?  

I just don't get the market for the E17 the headphone AMP or the DAC....if you need a DAC get an audio interface for not much more.  If you have 300 OHM headphones you probably already
have pro stuff that can amplify the cans.

I really don't get why AT770s, that I should be able to power just fine with a droid and poweramp, sound HORRIBLE, also out of my RME fireface.  

I will try this amp once its charged but I think its all going back to be replaced with the Pioneer DJ2000s which should sound great and bassie without their box.

Why polish a turd????? 

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #5,064 of 6,777
Quote:
I'm just curious why anybody would need headphone amps for regular low Ohm headphones?  I was all over amazon (probably bad start) and everybody was buying the audio-technica pro770 (probaby another bad move) with one of these amplifiers. 

I come from the studio world and having been using beats solo HD and my android to walk the dog.  I wanted bigger over ear headphones. 

The ATs came and plugged right into the android they sound horrible, horrible, compared to the beats solo.  Why is this?  Why at similar resistance would
the ATs sound so bad? 

so why do 1)I need an amp for AT-PRO770s

if the OHMs are fine for my phone to drive if the quality is bad isn't it that the cans sound bad and why would I fix that by buying more stuff instead of an AMP.

I get the DAC use, but not really when you can buy a real audio interface like a transit or a DUO or something that will give you a great DAC.

I get headphone AMPs for pushing high Ohm headphones. 

But what is the E17 going to do for me to my ATPRO770s out of my android after I charge it for 12 hours.

The AT770s plugged into my ipod or into my home studio have a huge gross disgusting muddy low end that I can't fix. 

Is this what "bass heads" wants?  

I just don't get the market for the E17 the headphone AMP or the DAC....if you need a DAC get an audio interface for not much more.  If you have 300 OHM headphones you probably already
have pro stuff that can amplify the cans.

I really don't get why AT770s, that I should be able to power just fine with a droid and poweramp, sound HORRIBLE, also out of my RME fireface.  

I will try this amp once its charged but I think its all going back to be replaced with the Pioneer DJ2000s which should sound great and bassie without their box.

Why polish a turd????? 

Some people really like their first headphones as it is their first step into this. They haven't gotten the upgrade bug yet so they love it. And thus they will spend money to perfect it.

I'm not advocating for spending $150 on a DAC and amp for a $150 headphone unless you are about to upgrade.

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #5,065 of 6,777
I think I am understanding things.....

There are cheaper headphone that can give you lots of bass but aren't made for studio monitoring.  I.e. the AT 770PRO, and btw, the new ear pad may have something to do with mudiness.

By playing with power amp I've gotten the ATs to sound pretty good...kinda like the sub in my car.  Thats what I was going after.  Its a huge unweildly bass sound and I could see using an EQ to tame the power but why do I need an amp with such low impedance headphones.  They require less power than my beats solo HD. 

I could see possibly using the F17 to sculpt the sound so the super lows on my mixes made for my truck don't blow my cans.  (i.e. mad mike's bass mix, and more popularly, and musical, the new little Boosie...bass heads check it out!!!  I hope this is what you mean by bass head because if you walk around listening to the the tuning CDs for subwoofers man there is something wrong with you).

But still I don't get the amp feature or why I'd need it. 

I have come around to these headphones.....they can cheaply give me the feel of rolling in my 1200watts of sub while walking the dog, thats all I want, but I want some clarity too.0

The problems came in that the impedance is SOOOO low that you have to keep outputs down or it muddies stuff up.  Could be the new ear pads someone mentioned too.   But taming the volume, and using power amp along, and using my beats cable with mic for the phone I've gotten these cans to sound all right.

I still don't see why I need an amp.

And I still don't see why I shouldn't spend same money as AT plus AMP, buy the pioneer DJ200s which are COMFORTABLE, give you bass head response, and give you studio monitoring clarity.   If you aren't afraid of taking studio cans out on a walk or for a trip (or snowboarding!!!!) why not just get the pioneers forget all this amp crap.

I still don't get why I need an amp for these headphone.  Is there an awesome EQ on the e17 that beats what the full poweramp can do? 

Sorry for the posts I won't reply till my E17 has had its 12 hours and I can mass with it. 

I do see the possible value of the AT770pros but compared to the pioneer DJ2000 the Reloop HI Ends (3Hz??????? wow) 

If you really just want a Dac for your computer there is a great one that is just a USB stick with a line out.  Me?  I'd get a full on audio interface for a few bucks more.

But buying an E17 just to pair with LOW IMPEDENCE headphone I don't get it! 

I can blow these headphones with my android.  Is that the idea, I turn down the amp on the Fiio and bump volume on my droid? 

RIght now I'm getting great great bassie sound out of bass heavy music.  Pretty bad sound for regular pop. 

I come from hip hop....little Boosie's new album, thats bass head to me...do people really just listen to music with no mids and HIs and therefore I'm talking way out of my depth?

I've never thought much about CANs...I think I'm happy I found this site....more stuff to learn about

-Pablo Rotter
   - producer, musician, computer tech,

Dec 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #5,066 of 6,777
Quote:
I think I am understanding things.....

There are cheaper headphone that can give you lots of bass but aren't made for studio monitoring.  I.e. the AT 770PRO, and btw, the new ear pad may have something to do with mudiness.

By playing with power amp I've gotten the ATs to sound pretty good...kinda like the sub in my car.  Thats what I was going after.  Its a huge unweildly bass sound and I could see using an EQ to tame the power but why do I need an amp with such low impedance headphones.  They require less power than my beats solo HD. 

I could see possibly using the F17 to sculpt the sound so the super lows on my mixes made for my truck don't blow my cans.  (i.e. mad mike's bass mix, and more popularly, and musical, the new little Boosie...bass heads check it out!!!  I hope this is what you mean by bass head because if you walk around listening to the the tuning CDs for subwoofers man there is something wrong with you).

But still I don't get the amp feature or why I'd need it. 

I have come around to these headphones.....they can cheaply give me the feel of rolling in my 1200watts of sub while walking the dog, thats all I want, but I want some clarity too.0

The problems came in that the impedance is SOOOO low that you have to keep outputs down or it muddies stuff up.  Could be the new ear pads someone mentioned too.   But taming the volume, and using power amp along, and using my beats cable with mic for the phone I've gotten these cans to sound all right.

I still don't see why I need an amp.

And I still don't see why I shouldn't spend same money as AT plus AMP, buy the pioneer DJ200s which are COMFORTABLE, give you bass head response, and give you studio monitoring clarity.   If you aren't afraid of taking studio cans out on a walk or for a trip (or snowboarding!!!!) why not just get the pioneers forget all this amp crap.

I still don't get why I need an amp for these headphone.  Is there an awesome EQ on the e17 that beats what the full poweramp can do? 

Sorry for the posts I won't reply till my E17 has had its 12 hours and I can mass with it. 

I do see the possible value of the AT770pros but compared to the pioneer DJ2000 the Reloop HI Ends (3Hz??????? wow) 

If you really just want a Dac for your computer there is a great one that is just a USB stick with a line out.  Me?  I'd get a full on audio interface for a few bucks more.

But buying an E17 just to pair with LOW IMPEDENCE headphone I don't get it! 

I can blow these headphones with my android.  Is that the idea, I turn down the amp on the Fiio and bump volume on my droid? 

RIght now I'm getting great great bassie sound out of bass heavy music.  Pretty bad sound for regular pop. 

I come from hip hop....little Boosie's new album, thats bass head to me...do people really just listen to music with no mids and HIs and therefore I'm talking way out of my depth?

I've never thought much about CANs...I think I'm happy I found this site....more stuff to learn about

-Pablo Rotter
   - producer, musician, computer tech,

"Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet"

To be honest, studio monitoring headphones are all in the $150-$250 range. M50's and DT770 Pro's and varouis Sony's are extremely popular. We here use headphones that would otherwise not be popularly used in studios. Why buy $1K headphones when you can buy studio monitors and be like all the other producers with their big studio monitors. But as we can tell, a lot of production still sucks in how it sounds.

Besides Beats, you don't see headphones in videos a lot obviously. But one that really shows them is the "We are the World 25 for Haiti" video. It was produced by Quincy Jones who endorses the Q701's and many are using DT770 Pro's or Sony's or Fostex's and AKG's.

If you tracks will have an ill effect on any speaker system that will blow ears without an EQ, then either get different speakers if those are the problems or produce it a bit differently. Like you said, you can polish a turd all you want. But we would love it if the actual finalized track worked without EQ because many times, EQ won't help it as much if everything is congested and what not.

An amp for headphones at your range or easy driving ones isn't recommended unless you know what you are doing. Why put slotted and cross drilled disc brakes with ceramic pads on a toyota Camry? Because some want perfection or better audio. However this relates back to if you can hear it and if it is justifiable.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5,070 of 6,777
As far as i know E17 is slightly better at quality in general than the Fiio E10. it has bass levels -10 -8 -6 -4 -2 0 +2 +4 +6 +8 +10 so its more than 5 levels (im oing this from memory so correct me if im wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back