FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Dec 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #4,921 of 6,777
Are there any fake e17's? I got mine in and it seems that the security sticker was removed (the glue is still there). If there are fakes, does anyone have compare photos? It was ordered from Amazon, but the place isn't on the blacklist. Everything seems to work really well. I have noticed that others have said they are able to go into the system menu to check the "life", but i dont seem to have that option (see number of hours used).

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #4,922 of 6,777
Quote:
Are there any fake e17's? I got mine in and it seems that the security sticker was removed (the glue is still there). If there are fakes, does anyone have compare photos? It was ordered from Amazon, but the place isn't on the blacklist. Everything seems to work really well. I have noticed that others have said they are able to go into the system menu to check the "life", but i dont seem to have that option (see number of hours used).

This feature has been removed on the latest firmware. Nothing to worry about.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #4,923 of 6,777
Quote:

Last I heard, James said that there have been no sightings yet but you should still buy from Authorized dealer. Why? because they for the majority of the time cost less than the ebay ones.

Why would sticker be gone? Who did you buy it from? Used?

Like jason said, that feature on "life" has been removed from E17 due to some users thinking that their E17 has been used when they first get it. The run time that was there records every second that the device is on so some users might have just "used" it for like 2 hours and then come back to see a run time of 17 hours and be very confused. That is why FiiO reported that they took it out. But weirdly enough, it is back in the E07K.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #4,924 of 6,777
About the playtime , we need to  burn-in each E07K/E17/E12 and other amp for a whole charging circulation, to check out any unit may have problem about battery, it means 

that it will make our customer worry about it is not a fresh new unit from the playtime if we don't remove it. but for E07K, there are some units have not remove this features from

the firmware.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 8, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #4,925 of 6,777
Quote:
About the playtime , we need to  burn-in each E07K/E17/E12 and other amp for a whole charging circulation, to check out any unit may have problem about battery, it means 

that it will make our customer worry about it is not a fresh new unit from the playtime if we don't remove it. but for E07K, there are some units have not remove this features from

the firmware.

I am just a bit curious as to why you guys brought it back in E07K if it caused a few problem with customers worrying?

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #4,926 of 6,777
Last I heard, James said that there have been no sightings yet but you should still buy from Authorized dealer. Why? because they for the majority of the time cost less than the ebay ones.

Why would sticker be gone? Who did you buy it from? Used?

Like jason said, that feature on "life" has been removed from E17 due to some users thinking that their E17 has been used when they first get it. The run time that was there records every second that the device is on so some users might have just "used" it for like 2 hours and then come back to see a run time of 17 hours and be very confused. That is why FiiO reported that they took it out. But weirdly enough, it is back in the E07K.

I had this posted in another thread, and the FIIO rep in the thread had stated that some unauthorized sellers will remove the sticker to hide their supplier. (I think that was the Gist of it). It seems that it is legit.

Now, that said, I am absolutely loving the E17. I really hope that because i bought it from an unauthorized dealer( i had no idea there was such a pervasive problem) that it means that FIIO won't see the money, because it is worth every penny. My wife is getting me the E09K for Christmas (I told her to get it from http://www.miccastore.com/), but I really am not sure if I will need it. I have two sets of headphones, a KRK KNS-8400 and a Grado 325i set. I spent two days using the KRK's, and for me it seems that the 6db gain works really well. I get no hiss even when i put it on 12db gain, however i don't really see an advantage for using the 12db, so the 6db works well. I did find that it seemed to make the sound a bit "brighter" then my old DAC (which was a Lexicon iOnix U22).

Windows 8 had no issues detecting the E17 (although it does show as SPIDF instead of USB, but it does say 'E17'.). Spotify worked great, and the few tracks that i have that are 24/96 played perfectly using VLC, and sounded great. Looking forward to plugging the Grado's in.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #4,927 of 6,777
Those numbers are incorrect. The E17 numbers are correct but the E07K numbers written in the manual show it as having 20-30% more ouput wattage than the E17. FiiO told me that that was incorrect. They will have an update out soon for it.

And kep in mind that I said current. Not power. They are different things. In all actuality, very high impedence 600+Ohm headphones actually require less power BUT more current. 

All else being equal, 600 Ohm headphones will require just as much power as 60 Ohm headphones.

But the 600 Ohm headphones will require a bit more voltage and a bit less current.

The 60 Ohm headphones will require a bit more current and a bit less voltage

Edit: never mind, looks like this was clarified a few posts ago.....:xf_eek:

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #4,928 of 6,777
Quote:
All else being equal, 600 Ohm headphones will require just as much power as 60 Ohm headphones.
But the 600 Ohm headphones will require a bit more voltage and a bit less current.
The 60 Ohm headphones will require a bit more current and a bit less voltage
Edit: never mind, looks like this was clarified a few posts ago.....
redface.gif

Yeah, I got my voltage and current mixed up. I don't go into sound science too much anymore 
ph34r.gif

I have information on the max output voltage and max output current for the E17 and E07K but I am not sure if they want to release it yet. They are very similar with the E17 having a bit more output current and output voltage. 

I was told the E07K has about half the power of the E17 but their output power and max output current and voltage don't seem to show that.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #4,929 of 6,777
Quote:
you need our Mont Blanc(E12) which can push out almost 1.4W into a 32 ohms loader . a Monster Portable headphone amp consider the size of it.

I don't know how I missed this reply; sorry.  I wasn't aware of that model; ah, I see it's upcoming.  Don't get me wrong, I'm quite satisfied w/the E17.  It's a really great amp in so many ways.  In addition I really do enjoy it with my higher impedance headphones in normal situations; especially with TV and my DT880.  It's just that when I have the combination of a input that's only 1V max (cable box out), and I want it quite loud (some live musical performance on TV), it's then that it's not quite up to the task.  But great to know about that E12 coming out!  :D

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #4,930 of 6,777
Quote:

I don't know how I missed this reply; sorry.  I wasn't aware of that model; ah, I see it's upcoming.  Don't get me wrong, I'm quite satisfied w/the E17.  It's a really great amp in so many ways.  In addition I really do enjoy it with my higher impedance headphones in normal situations; especially with TV and my DT880.  It's just that when I have the combination of a input that's only 1V max (cable box out), and I want it quite loud (some live musical performance on TV), it's then that it's not quite up to the task.  But great to know about that E12 coming out!  :D

limited selling of it will start next month. Initial batches have been said to be small. They may allow pre orders if the idea is popular enough for those that want it.
That's what FiiO said in the E12 thread in case you wanted some more info 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #4,931 of 6,777
I did a quick search of this thread, but haven't found any answers to my problem (may have missed it). 
I bought a E17 off ebay recently (didn't consider authorized resellers :S, should have searched staticice)

Nevertheless, just yesterday it completely died. There is no red light when charging, and it will only turn on momentarily to flash the low battery message when plugged into an electricity source or shortly after disconnecting it (ie. after a few hours, the it won't turn on at all).

Would I be correct in thinking this is a broken battery? If so, what are the avenues to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #4,932 of 6,777
Yeah, I got my voltage and current mixed up. I don't go into sound science too much anymore :ph34r:

I have information on the max output voltage and max output current for the E17 and E07K but I am not sure if they want to release it yet. They are very similar with the E17 having a bit more output current and output voltage. 

I was told the E07K has about half the power of the E17 but their output power and max output current and voltage don't seem to show that.

I try and avoid the Sound Science Forum! :D

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #4,933 of 6,777
I did a quick search of this thread, but haven't found any answers to my problem (may have missed it). 
I bought a E17 off ebay recently (didn't consider authorized resellers :S, should have searched staticice)

Nevertheless, just yesterday it completely died. There is no red light when charging, and it will only turn on momentarily to flash the low battery message when plugged into an electricity source or shortly after disconnecting it (ie. after a few hours, the it won't turn on at all).

Would I be correct in thinking this is a broken battery? If so, what are the avenues to get it fixed?

Thanks in advance:D

It may be that your mode of charging it is incorrect? What country are you in? Do you use laptop or wall adapter to charge?
If you are inputting incorrect charge the power management(probably is one) will not allow it to be use to protect unit.

Otherwise it may just be defective battery. I have a how to use vid on youtube, see if the menu matches mine. Some small changes have been made like no run time indicator in new ones.

No fake of e17 detected yet.

Either return to seller you buy from if there is seller or site warranty. If all else fails, you may need to send to fiio.

Contact fiio support

I try and avoid the Sound Science Forum! :D
I avoid it now as they are such lengthy reads based on each persons interpretation of a study

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #4,934 of 6,777
Quote:
Yeah, I got my voltage and current mixed up. I don't go into sound science too much anymore 
ph34r.gif

Man,  I would love to see those current and voltage numbers!

I'm trying to see if the E17 will drive a pair of AKG K1000?
Do you think I am asking too much?

Quote:
I avoid it now as they are such lengthy reads based on each persons interpretation of a study

That actually makes sense!
I would agree with that!
Problem is, too many guys on the Science Fiction Forum seem to think their interpretation is The One And Only Interpretation.  I wonder if they are all religious talk show hosts in there spare time?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back