FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Nov 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #4,846 of 6,777
I would try it. It is reversable if it doesnt work for me or i dont like the results?
Quote:

It may not be your cup of tea, but there's a little free app that optimizes pc resources for audio processing. If you are game to let it tune your machine without telling you exactly what it's doing, then google 'fidelizer'. You may find some discussions on it in the computer audio section.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #4,848 of 6,777
Hi all,

Since this clearly has become an Alpen e17 Appreciation/Problems/Help thread I'll pose my question here. 

I've only had tube head amps since getting into the hobby in a somewhat 'serious' (if relatively small in my case) way, and I must say my choice to go with the e17 for my first portable and solid state amp was a wise one.  It's been glued to my newest headphone purchase of the Focal Spirit Ones since I got the e17, using either my HP 8740w over USB or (very aged) legacy iPod 60 gig as a source.  If something sounds better I don't want to know because I'm pretty damn happy after spending so little (I kid, I do know about the multitudes of other/better portable options). 

But I've sort of been on a quest since getting the e17 to find a digital source to make my new portable player and put the ol'iPod out to pasture.  And that brings me to my question... 

Am I wasting my time trying to find a source that has S/PDIF out (and what extremely futile task it's been at that) to be able to make use of the higher bit & sampling rates the e17 can support?    Should I just find a source capable of USB-Data out and be done w/it and be happy with 24/96K?  The 'only' choice today seems to be the Cowon D3 for a 'budget' digital player that could make full use of my e17, and tho I don't know what they are, I hear it's not a trouble-free/consistently experience using it (and there's that long cable I'd have to wind tight but only utilize a short portion of the digital coax part of it).  And other players with S/PDIF out also have a comparable or superior DAC built in, are many X more $, and only the analog amp stage of the e17 could be utilized to any real effect.

So in short, should I just get a digital source with USB-Data capabilities out like the HM-601, and be done w/it?  Is there an android player you'd recommend for USB-data out as I very much enjoy being able to utilize an EQ for minor but important freq. resp. tweeks.  Ideally a small 5 inch screened windows tablet that ran Foobar2K and had USB-data out would be the ultimate, but I don't believe that exists... does it? (hrrrm, just found the many "Archos" product offerings; maybe it does)

Any informed replies appreciated.  Thanx.

Nov 26, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #4,849 of 6,777
Quote:
Am I wasting my time trying to find a source that has S/PDIF out (and what extremely futile task it's been at that) to be able to make use of the higher bit & sampling rates the e17 can support?    Should I just find a source capable of USB-Data out and be done w/it and be happy with 24/96K?  The 'only' choice today seems to be the Cowon D3 for a 'budget' digital player that could make full use of my e17, and tho I don't know what they are, I hear it's not a trouble-free/consistently experience using it (and there's that long cable I'd have to wind tight but only utilize a short portion of the digital coax part of it).  And other players with S/PDIF out also have a comparable or superior DAC built in, are many X more $, and only the analog amp stage of the e17 could be utilized to any real effect.

From my experience with much higher grade equipment than the e17, the difference between 96k and 192k is nearly impossible to distinguish, at least when you upsample from 44.1k. I think this mode has been provided in e17 just to increase compatibility with other equipment. Don't expect spectacular results - in the end it's only a decent entry level DAC/amp.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #4,850 of 6,777
Quote:
From my experience with much higher grade equipment than the e17, the difference between 96k and 192k is nearly impossible to distinguish, at least when you upsample from 44.1k. I think this mode has been provided in e17 just to increase compatibility with other equipment. Don't expect spectacular results - in the end it's only a decent entry level DAC/amp.

Thank you PleasantSounds for being the voice of reason against my musings and confusions.  :)  It sounds like sound advise.

-steve

Nov 26, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #4,852 of 6,777
Quote:
While it is always better not to adjust volume digitally, it is hard for average consumer to understand why they are not allow to use it. So it the end, it is just reason of convenience to let the user to decide how to use it. The USB implementation on E17 is every bit better than that of E7, just adding another option to make everyone happy because digital volume control seems like a better feature for average Joe than better resolution, especially since most don't understand resolution correctly.

If normal resolution music plays fine on iPad + E17, then it is almost certainly an issue of driver.

@BlancoTheBull - Human hearing only goes up to 20kHz on average when you are very young, tend to drop below 18kHz when you are adult and below 16kHz (or much worst) as you get old. Don't get confused by the number manufacturer put out - you are neither superman or a bat to hearing anything over 20kHz.

Also, all music are recorded within 20Hz ~ 20kHz, nothing more.

Hey all, sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm wondering how to disable the software volume control over the E17. I'd prefer letting the dac of the E17 handle the conversion, instead of the PC soundcard (as I assume it must if the volume and eq for usb out are adjustable in the software).

Thanks for any help anyone wishes to give. (And sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find anything...)

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,853 of 6,777
Hey all, sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm wondering how to disable the software volume control over the E17. I'd prefer letting the dac of the E17 handle the conversion, instead of the PC soundcard (as I assume it must if the volume and eq for usb out are adjustable in the software).

Thanks for any help anyone wishes to give. (And sorry if this is answered elsewhere, I couldn't find anything...)

Someone else can add their opinion, but I think you need a FiiO L7.

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM Post #4,854 of 6,777
Quote:

Someone else can add their opinion, but I think you need a FiiO L7.

The E7 had software volume control disabled. However their user base is huge. And many complained as they didn't understand it so now all their DAC's allow the computer to also use its own volume control. Just set computer volume to 100 when you are using as DAC

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4,855 of 6,777
Quote:

As said, the software volume control is now enable due to popular demand, even though it is better not to. You just have to stop yourself from trying to adjust the volume on the PC....

Nov 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #4,856 of 6,777
Exactly, put everything to 100% and then don't touch it. Set Windows volume to 100%, and then set whatever music player you are using to 100% as well. That's it. 
Quote:

As said, the software volume control is now enable due to popular demand, even though it is better not to. You just have to stop yourself from trying to adjust the volume on the PC....

Nov 28, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4,857 of 6,777
Today my E17 arrived. I charged it in my car ready for use when I got home. It's connected via a Fiio Lod to my iPod Classic. I used either HD558 or Bose AE2i.

This little black box is a wonder. Really lovely sound on BOTH headphones. In fact it does wonders with the Bose. Also stunning with the Sennheiser HD558. Very pleased.

Wondering now if there is a need to get the E12 when it's released.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #4,860 of 6,777
Glad you like it. I like mine a whole lot.
Quote:
Today my E17 arrived. I charged it in my car ready for use when I got home. It's connected via a Fiio Lod to my iPod Classic. I used either HD558 or Bose AE2i.
This little black box is a wonder. Really lovely sound on BOTH headphones. In fact it does wonders with the Bose. Also stunning with the Sennheiser HD558. Very pleased.
Wondering now if there is a need to get the E12 when it's released.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back