FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #4,472 of 6,777
Hey, so I took your advice and searched around and read a bunch of forums, and after about a month of deliberating I decided to get the O2 amp from JDS. I understand a lot more now about pairing amps with headphones, however I can't seem to find information about the considerations that should be made when pairing a DAC with a certain headphone or a DAC with a certain amp. Is one more important than the other? That is, should I look for information about a good DAC to pair with the O2, or should I look for info about a good DAC to go with my AKG k702s? Regardless, there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on a less expensive DAC to go with the AKG k702s other than the fiio e7 or e11, and there is even less info about DACs to pair with the O2. I have a pretty cheap HP laptop I had to buy for school after I cracked the screen on my other one, so I assume I don't have a great sound card. Can you point me in the right direction, or do you have any suggestions on a DAC?

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #4,473 of 6,777
Quote:
Hey, so I took your advice and searched around and read a bunch of forums, and after about a month of deliberating I decided to get the O2 amp from JDS. I understand a lot more now about pairing amps with headphones, however I can't seem to find information about the considerations that should be made when pairing a DAC with a certain headphone or a DAC with a certain amp. Is one more important than the other? That is, should I look for information about a good DAC to pair with the O2, or should I look for info about a good DAC to go with my AKG k702s? Regardless, there doesn't seem to be a ton of info on a less expensive DAC to go with the AKG k702s other than the fiio e7 or e11, and there is even less info about DACs to pair with the O2. I have a pretty cheap HP laptop I had to buy for school after I cracked the screen on my other one, so I assume I don't have a great sound card. Can you point me in the right direction, or do you have any suggestions on a DAC?

The "syngery" that some call it is mainly understood through direct and secondary experience. Meaning someone else telling you and having others confirm that the REd Wine is awesome with the LCD's. And what not, and then there are personal synergy's where you use technical knowledge on how the device sounds from others that give you a general description to form custom synergizings like taking a maybe "darker" amp and pairing it with a "cleaner" one for weird or awesome results. The last kind would be just looking at what people say of that type of equipment and using your knowledge of another, try to mix the two together.

Look at dedicated source components. Basiucally standalone dAC's from Muse and others.

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4,475 of 6,777
Quote:
A man don't read no stinking manuals!

True, I rarely do as well either but when I have questions, it would be a good place to go. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #4,477 of 6,777
So if the rumors are true and there is a chance of the new "i" products "lightning dock" being able to bypass the onboard DAC. Look like Fiio will in a good position to come out with a new dock cable... Hmmm, hmmm?
biggrin.gif
  L10? Maybe...

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #4,478 of 6,777
Quote:
So if the rumors are true and there is a chance of the new "i" products "lightning dock" being able to bypass the onboard DAC. Look like Fiio will in a good position to come out with a new dock cable... Hmmm, hmmm?
biggrin.gif
  L10? Maybe...

It will be a great news if lightning can support universal USB audio interface. or it will be a very bad news if lightning can only support digital out when the DAC includes a secret chip and has the MFi licence. 

anyway, none can confirm it till Apple release the technical specification 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #4,481 of 6,777
RTFM brother. :D  Just giving you a little crap. You know I got nothing but love for ya!!

The only time I read a manual is if I can't get something to work. The E17 worked. :p

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #4,482 of 6,777
Real men don't read manuals unless they are trying to set up a Home Theatre system PROPERLY!
wink_face.gif

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #4,483 of 6,777
just hooked this guy up for the first time.  and after much putting off buying a dac, because, well, it aint fun buying dacs.....i am blown away.  this thing just took my phones to a new level.  WOW.  very happy with it.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #4,484 of 6,777
Quote:
just hooked this guy up for the first time.  and after much putting off buying a dac, because, well, it aint fun buying dacs.....i am blown away.  this thing just took my phones to a new level.  WOW.  very happy with it.

That's just because you don't hang out haven't been here long enough...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #4,485 of 6,777
Quote:

Be happy!
Getting a better DAC will cost you! LOL
$500-1000 and half of what you get for your money is more features, a nicer display, a nicer case, more bragging rights, etc. 
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back