FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Aug 22, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #4,321 of 6,777
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

When I select the "ASIO: FIIO E17 DAC ASIO DRIVER" in the foobar output, there is a lag/buffer time of about 1 second whenever a new track plays, or when skipping through a track.

This does not happen if I select the standard "DS: SPDIF OUT (2-FIIO USB DAC-E17)" or "WASAPI: SPDIF OUT (2-FIIO USB DAC-E17)" outputs.

I would just use the WASAPI output, however it's really annoying having to close foobar and restart firefox every time you want to stream something online.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

Aug 22, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #4,322 of 6,777
Quote:
Wondering if anyone else is having this problem?

When I select the "ASIO: FIIO E17 DAC ASIO DRIVER" in the foobar output, there is a lag/buffer time of about 1 second whenever a new track plays, or when skipping through a track.

This does not happen if I select the standard "DS: SPDIF OUT (2-FIIO USB DAC-E17)" or "WASAPI: SPDIF OUT (2-FIIO USB DAC-E17)" outputs.

I would just use the WASAPI output, however it's really annoying having to close foobar and restart firefox every time you want to stream something online.

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.

Everything is ok! :) It's not a problem, it's normal behaviour.

Aug 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4,323 of 6,777
Quote:
Everything is ok! :) It's not a problem, it's normal behaviour.

I was afraid of that as it's very annoying when trying to skip through tracks to find certain parts fast.

Also, I have many albums that blend seamlessly between tracks, and this driver introducing a skip at the beginning of each new track does not make for pleasant listening at all.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #4,324 of 6,777
Sorry, this may have already been asked but as I do not want to look through 289 pages of info/posts I thought I would just ask.   Has anyone paired this with their Westone 4's or 4R's and what are you impressions of this amp/dac combo with the westones?  Thanks!

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #4,325 of 6,777
Quote:
Sorry, this may have already been asked but as I do not want to look through 289 pages of info/posts I thought I would just ask.   Has anyone paired this with their Westone 4's or 4R's and what are you impressions of this amp/dac combo with the westones?  Thanks!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/1005#post_8108791
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2670#post_8294711

This is only some of them. There is a search function at the bottom of the page, type westone 4 or whatever into it. I did a quickie for you.

But please note that as this is an appreciation thread of sorts, and the E17 is an amp with no sonic defecinceis...the feedback will of course be positive.So it's not much use, it only tells you that the E17 works well with the W4's with no hiss or distortion that one would hear or mind.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #4,326 of 6,777
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/1005#post_8108791
http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2670#post_8294711

This is only some of them. There is a search function at the bottom of the page, type westone 4 or whatever into it. I did a quickie for you.

But please note that as this is an appreciation thread of sorts, and the E17 is an amp with no sonic defecinceis...the feedback will of course be positive.So it's not much use, it only tells you that the E17 works well with the W4's with no hiss or distortion that one would hear or mind.

Sorry, I'm not as familiar with this forum.  I didn't see the "search Thread" tab.  Will do next time.  Thanks though.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #4,327 of 6,777
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not as familiar with this forum.  I didn't see the "search Thread" tab.  Will do next time.  Thanks though.

This forum has many features most of them work half or a quarter as well as you would expect though but it still "has" them. :) Such as the upvote button next to the "Multi button" near the reply button.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #4,329 of 6,777
Quote:
I was afraid of that as it's very annoying when trying to skip through tracks to find certain parts fast.

Also, I have many albums that blend seamlessly between tracks, and this driver introducing a skip at the beginning of each new track does not make for pleasant listening at all.

Are you sure you need ASIO or WASAPI? Have you tried a blind test if you can hear a difference with and without these protocols? :)
BTW which player do use?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #4,330 of 6,777
Quote:
Are you sure you need ASIO or WASAPI? Have you tried a blind test if you can hear a difference with and without these protocols? :)
BTW which player do use?

Yeah I'm going to try a blind test later tonight with 2 laptops as I'm skeptical myself of the whole ASIO/WASAPI feature.

I think really I just want the "cleanest/purest" signal possible coming from my laptop to the E17.

I'm currently using Foobar, I may post a little review/my feelings on the E17 if I get chance too for anyone interested.

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #4,331 of 6,777
Quote:
Yeah I'm going to try a blind test later tonight with 2 laptops as I'm skeptical myself of the whole ASIO/WASAPI feature.

I think really I just want the "cleanest/purest" signal possible coming from my laptop to the E17.

I'm currently using Foobar, I may post a little review/my feelings on the E17 if I get chance too for anyone interested.

Sure, it will be interesting! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #4,332 of 6,777
Guys, today I expected a problem with my E17. I was listening Deep Purple's Child in Time at high volume from my laptop, when some distortion ( audible buzzing ) came with loud vocals ( not generic interference buzz ).Pause/ Stop/ Play didn't solve this issue. After reconnecting device the sound was OK.

Foobar2000, USB, 96/ 24, no WASAPI/ no ASIO.

Sadly, I'm not able to reproduce the problem: what could it be?
I am nervous to such things. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #4,333 of 6,777
Quote:
Guys, today I expected a problem with my E17. I was listening Deep Purple's Child in Time at high volume from my laptop, when some distortion ( audible buzzing ) came with loud vocals ( not generic interference buzz ).Pause/ Stop/ Play didn't solve this issue. After reconnecting device the sound was OK.

Foobar2000, USB, 96/ 24, no WASAPI/ no ASIO.

Sadly, I'm not able to reproduce the problem: what could it be?
I am nervous to such things. 

It may be EMI from other network signal producing thigns or if your E17 or cables nearby were near electrical sources like the power plug of an lamp

There is also a "click click click" sound that happens with the E17 sadly that can't be fixed but a loud buzzing? Low power maybe?

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #4,334 of 6,777
Quote:
It may be EMI from other network signal producing thigns or if your E17 or cables nearby were near electrical sources like the power plug of an lamp

There is also a "click click click" sound that happens with the E17 sadly that can't be fixed but a loud buzzing? Low power maybe?

Well, by buzzing sound I was meaning that click-click sound... What's that, does it concern all units? 

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #4,335 of 6,777
Quote:
Well, by buzzing sound I was meaning that click-click sound... What's that, does it concern all units? 

From what it seems..yes. And it happens more often when you are at a higher gain than needed and or at high volumes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back