FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Aug 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #4,231 of 6,777
Next week i'll be getting my fiio e17, when I will connect the device to my imac whats the best cable i should use ?
3,5 mm to 3,5 mm or the optical ? and if it is the optical should it be like this ? 
optical 3,5 mm -> fiio e17 -> optical 3,5mm
optical 3,5 mm -> fiio e17 - > 3,5 mm

which of the two is the best?

thx :wink:

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #4,232 of 6,777
Quote:
Next week i'll be getting my fiio e17, when I will connect the device to my imac whats the best cable i should use ?
3,5 mm to 3,5 mm or the optical ? and if it is the optical should it be like this ? 

it would be the second, usb would work too.

the first option is useless and not possible, digital in to digital out would make the e17 unnecessary, and it only has one output to a 3.5mm headphone jack.

usb > e17 > headphones limited to 24bit 96khz
opti > E17 > headphones 

would be your options

Aug 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #4,233 of 6,777
Quote:

For iMac

Mini Toslink (3.5mm) to mini toslink (3.5mm) where one end goes into iMac and other into E17 would be best. S/PDIF on E17 supports 192KHz @ 24 bit.

USB would also be good and is limited to 96KHz @ 24 bit

Heres a video I made:
http://youtu.be/FXJm0XmVyus

Yeah just an old drawing I did.

Anyway the female vocals definitely bloom better out of my HE400s with the E17s, they often sounded thin with the E7 (it was one of the very few flaws I nitpicked when I just got the headphones).

Shameless advertising incomming:

We have an anime club here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586040/official-asian-anime-manga-and-music-lounge

Basically it generally moves fast and has members talking about many subjects from Audio, DIY audio,snake oil stuff to everything on computers including the good ole anime and what not. You don't have to keep up, just drop by, say some stuff you like, random rant on something ubelieveable you saw or whatever. You don't need to follow and reply toe verything :) So yeah, we would love to have you

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #4,234 of 6,777
Quote:
Received my E17's yesterday, such a huge upgrade from my E7. My Hifiman HE400s open up much more now in sound, bass gets more 'growl', 3D imaging improves noticeably, general mids/treble signature seems to be retained from the E7 to the E17. The build quality seems to have improved quite a bit, the E17s feel very nice in the hand. The 'hold' button is glorious.

Best of all, these can drive my HE400s VERY loud without any background noise coming in, very nice.

I tried to tell "the boys" over at the he400 thread just how good that the he400 sounded on the e17, but I think that there were a few noses turned up. It's alright though...each to his own. I have a nice full size desktop amp, but the e17, now with the e09k, get plenty of play. 
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #4,235 of 6,777
Quote:

I tried to tell "the boys" over at the he400 thread just how good that the he400 sounded on the e17, but I think that there were a few noses turned up. It's alright though...each to his own. I have a nice full size desktop amp, but the e17, now with the e09k, get plenty of play. 
wink.gif

Some might want more accuracy, transparency, speed and clean-ness than the E17 can produce.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #4,237 of 6,777
Quote:
ok i will buy a mini toslink then, is there alot of difference in brands? which one should in get? and what optcal cable should i get also?
thx

Get one that is light but has good reviews. Reviews on buying site are more like feedback. They basically will all say it sounds great but look for ones that say stuff about build quality. don't go super expensive $20 total after shipping is enough IF EVEN THAT. At this price range, Optical toslink cables will generaly not advertise (or even accurately have) speed(MHz/Hz) and fiber optic thickness that most have in very expensive ones. As such, it is impossible to compare the sound of each one. Just a good quality one. I recommend mono price or any other from amazon with decent reviews

DO NOT GET THE HEAVY FANCY CABLES FROM MONO PRICE OR OTHER SUPER THICK ONES.......they are for A/V dedicated home theatre setups. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #4,240 of 6,777
Quote:
Get one that is light but has good reviews. Reviews on buying site are more like feedback. They basically will all say it sounds great but look for ones that say stuff about build quality. don't go super expensive $20 total after shipping is enough IF EVEN THAT. At this price range, Optical toslink cables will generaly not advertise (or even accurately have) speed(MHz/Hz) and fiber optic thickness that most have in very expensive ones. As such, it is impossible to compare the sound of each one. Just a good quality one. I recommend mono price or any other from amazon with decent reviews

DO NOT GET THE HEAVY FANCY CABLES FROM MONO PRICE OR OTHER SUPER THICK ONES.......they are for A/V dedicated home theatre setups. 

With all due respect, Monoprice is the one place that does't rip you off. Warn him about buying a $500 interconnect from Best Buy but not Monoprice. First, they don't have $500 cables. And even the "premium" version of a optical toslink from them is $4 for 1.5 feet

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #4,241 of 6,777
Quote:
Just be sure to max out the volume bar on your Macbook (on iTune and on sound panel) and use E17 for volume control.
The point about gain is, always use the lowest gain setting if you can get enough volume out of it. If you can't, then you move up to the next higher setting. If 12dB is what you need to be, then it is the best for you.

Thanks ClieOS for the tip! I'd notice that when im going for a full volume of the laptop, I hear more tones, instruments, than usual. I will give it a test later when I get back home for full volumes on both and make adjustments with the amp itself.

Quote:
What ohm version of the 770's are you using?

Oh, I forgot to mention its an 80ohm! 

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #4,242 of 6,777
Quote:
With all due respect, Monoprice is the one place that does't rip you off. Warn him about buying a $500 interconnect from Best Buy but not Monoprice. First, they don't have $500 cables. And even the "premium" version of a optical toslink from them is $4 for 1.5 feet

I must have forgot to say that I recommend going to Monoprice. Monoprice has two versions of Optical Toslink, regular thin and fancy. Don't get the fancy. Not for the e17. I did. Worst mistake for a portable unit. IT is heavily imobile, and actually swings the e17.

Aug 4, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #4,245 of 6,777
Quote:
Heres a video I made:
http://youtu.be/FXJm0XmVyus

Wow.... "never made the connection" that the you here is the guy in those great videos! :)  Originally just happened across your videos re: E17 on YouTube, when researching which DAC/headphone amp to buy. Have watched several others since and you do a GREAT job and make things more easily understood by we "newbies"! :) Thanks! and glad to "meet you"! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back