FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,201 of 6,777
Okay, so I have the e17 and just bought the e09k. My question is this. When docked is the e17's 3.5mm jack still operational. I'd like to be able to use some of my hp's without adapters which is the reason for the question.

thanks...

I don't see a question mark :wink:

... yes, you can.

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #4,202 of 6,777
Quote:
I don't see a question mark
wink.gif

... yes, you can.

Perfect!! Thank you for the response. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #4,203 of 6,777
I log on to this site periodically, and i am surprised to see some of the same posters posting in several threads. You guys are hardcore posters man! take a break from this site!!! lol

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #4,205 of 6,777
Just ended up sending back an HRT Music Streamer II. Everything about the E17 beats it, I found the HRT harsh in comparison. The E17 is so much warmer, plus when you add in the fact that it's really portable, plus an amp.. it's a no brainer really.

I was surprised though, was expecting for the HRT to be a whole lot better, seeing as its only function is a DAC. Maybe it was just a bad match for my DT880's. Either way...

E17 FTW!

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #4,206 of 6,777
Quote:
Hi. recently I received my E17 and got an issue described here but on E17. :frowning2:((( + sometimes I get white ( or other :) ) noise ( I mean I can't hear the music, I hear only static noise ) after toggling pause button.
Is the device faulty? Can this be a motherboard/ USB problem?

EDIT:

More facts about this issue from me:

1. When I don't use pause button on my software player ( foobar/ wmp ) and use stop button, everything is ok;
2. This issue doesn't appear everytime;
3. If problem appears and I turn off -> on E17 WITHOUT removing the USB, the problem is still there;
4. If problem appears and I remove -> place back the USB WITHOUT turning off the device, sound is OK;
5. If problem appears and I press stop -> play on my software player, sound is OK.

Quote:
I received my E17 less than a week ago and have been having the SAME problem, as you describe. To me, it sounds like a distortion/crackling during high midrange to high playback i.e. electric guitar, piano etc. This is my 1rst headphone amp/DAC so, am a definite newbie at use and troubleshooting, but believe my Foobar player settings and computer device settings are correct, based on the great advice for set-up here. I too am using Foobar with the WASAPI plug-in. Here have been my observations...

1. Gain setting on E17 makes no difference
2. Problem mostly appears when selecting Output device... WASAPI : SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E17) using the Foobar preferences
3. Using Foobar preference Output device... SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E17) the problem does not seem to occur
4. Problem very seldom appears using other players, including the iTunes player, but has occurred occasionally
5. The only way I'm able to stop the crackling/distortion, is to unplug and re-plug the USB cable from/in the E17
6. Problem does not occur using aux to/from my iTouch, using the L9 adapter
7. When using aux and the Output device SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E17) the E17 display indicates 96K 24bit
8. When using the Output device WASAPI : SPDIF Interface (FiiO USB DAC-E17) the display switches to 48k 16bit when playing songs from my iTunes library
9. Problem appears to occur when E17 is cycling between the 96K 24bit and 48k 16 bit, which apparently even happens, when switching songs, stopping and pausing while playing songs and   using Foobar.
10. I have not switched USB cables, but ghardashyan indicated above that doing so does not solve the problem

If the above is correct, would this indicate a defect in the E17? Almost always happens if using Foobar and the WASAPI Fiio setting, but has occurred in other situations, such as when switching from iTouch L9 to USB where E17 switches from 48k 16 bit to 96K 24bit. Problem is remedied for a listening session if the USB cord unplugged/plugged, but if settings cycling occurs, crackling/distortion returns. Any suggestions/input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hi again!

More information from me, maybe this'll be useful for somebody...

Just tried WASAPI: SPDIF interface. @ 24 / 96 setting sound is OK until first ( or second ) pause/ play. After that pause/ play you get very-very distorted sound. Without WASAPI interface problem still exists but appears more rarely. Tried this with different cables/ USB ports/ motherboards ( ASUS, Foxconn... )/ OS ( WinXP/ Win7 ), so it's definitely not cable/ USB/ PC/ OS/ motherboard/ interference problem.
But... @ 16 / 48 setting everything is OK. 

So, if you have such symptoms, you definitely have a defective device ( it seems like the USB receiver is faulty in a such device ).
On the good side you get fully functioning 16 / 48 DAC via USB.

Going to contact FiiO or MP4Nation customer support...

EDIT:

Works flawlessly on my work second PC. :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #4,207 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
Hi. recently I received my E17 and got an issue described here but on E17. :frowning2:((( + sometimes I get white ( or other :) ) noise ( I mean I can't hear the music, I hear only static noise ) after toggling pause button.
Is the device faulty? Can this be a motherboard/ USB problem?

EDIT:

More facts about this issue from me:

1. When I don't use pause button on my software player ( foobar/ wmp ) and use stop button, everything is ok;
2. This issue doesn't appear everytime;
3. If problem appears and I turn off -> on E17 WITHOUT removing the USB, the problem is still there;
4. If problem appears and I remove -> place back the USB WITHOUT turning off the device, sound is OK;
5. If problem appears and I press stop -> play on my software player, sound is OK.

Hi again!

Just tried WASAPI: SPDIF interface. @ 24 / 96 setting sound is OK until first ( or second ) pause/ play. After that pause/ play you get very-very distorted sound. Without WASAPI interface problem still exists but appears more rarely. Tried this with different cables/ USB ports/ motherboards ( ASUS, Foxconn... )/ OS ( WinXP/ Win7 ), so it's definitely not cable/ USB/ PC/ OS/ motherboard/ interference problem.

So, if you have such symptoms, you definitely have a defective device ( it seems like the USB receiver is faulty in a such device ).

I have the same problem with my NFB 12.1...except its a lot less .....prevalent. The White noise happens when it is set on 192KHz or even higher as the NFB supports over sampling  and windows plays something. If youtube or windows sound plays when it is on the high setting, constant white noise happens on my NFB unit. It never happened with my E17.

In Windows sound properties, does the device have exclusive control?

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #4,210 of 6,777
its been about a month since i got my e17 and i used it everyday.

I love it. But it does have that 'tick' noise that appears every few minutes or ten minutes.
Its not strong but it is def there.

Anyway, what does gain do? does it distort or damage the sound when increased?
0gain was enough for my phones but just curious

Aug 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #4,211 of 6,777
I always start at +0 on the gain and raise it only when necessary. Some of my harder to drive hp's do need some additional gain. ie modded fostex t50's. It your hp is plenty loud at 25-30 then you probably don't need to add any gain. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4,212 of 6,777
So it has been months since i got my E17, I still use it every day. I love this thing, well worth the money i pad for it.

Aug 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4,213 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:

Hi again!

Thanks for the update ghardashyan! It appears that both of our E17s have the same malady/behavior.... Still thinking that it might be player related, but got authorization for a return. I'm going to try something different and since my iTouch/iPhone can't utilize the portable DAC will probably get an E11 for them, as the prices are really good right now. Very interested in the coming E12 but the release date being at least a few months off.... I've been spoiled by the E17 amp with the them, so will probably act now. Good luck with your E17.....  Thanks for the help also Panda-sama!

Aug 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #4,215 of 6,777
Quote:
I always start at +0 on the gain and raise it only when necessary. Some of my harder to drive hp's do need some additional gain. ie modded fostex t50's. It your hp is plenty loud at 25-30 then you probably don't need to add any gain. 

+1
You really should start at 0 gain. At first I thought my DT 1350 needed +6 gain when using the E17 as DAC/amp, but it just sounds right to just 0 with volume 28-36. Much cleaner to my ears compared to +6 gain with volume 24-30 (using max volume in wasapi/asio). However when paired to my J3, I use +6 gain to have some juice in it. I really love my E17. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back