FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 26, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #4,157 of 6,777
Quote:
Now I'm starting to enjoy E17....I think burin-in is required for this

A.R.Rahman's music (best recording in indian music) is coming alive.....

Now I started hating my Clip+ due to E17 (earlier I was hating E17 as it was much brighter compared to my Clip+). Now E17 is getting smoother

In one word E17 is awesome. I really can't go back to my Clip+. I can't believe myself. I was admiring Clip+ a lot (if you refer my earlier posts)

Only thing is, if E17 is supported by android devices through USB OTG it will be great

Anyone tried with new Jelly Bean device (Nexus 7)?

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #4,158 of 6,777
I have the AKG 702s and tried using the e7, but the combo couldn't get some of my older music to a loudness I would like. Can the e17 play an album like Dark Side of the Moon louder than the e7, and what is the spec on an amp that I should look at when I'm comparing amps to determine which can play louder?

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #4,159 of 6,777
Quote:
I have the AKG 702s and tried using the e7, but the combo couldn't get some of my older music to a loudness I would like. Can the e17 play an album like Dark Side of the Moon louder than the e7, and what is the spec on an amp that I should look at when I'm comparing amps to determine which can play louder?

One is personal experience, by knowing what the driveability of your headphone is like, sensitivity and impendece are good "maybe"s but don't hold a good answer, each headphone is different in driveability, knowing how yours is driven is one thing.

E17=215mW @ 32 ohms (12dB gain)
E11=200mW @ 32 ohms (High voltage mode)

E17= 30mW @300 ohms (12dB gain)
E11= 35mW @300 ohms (High voltage mode)

E17= 250 mW @ 16 ohms (12dB gain)
E11= 300mW @ 16 ohms (High voltage mode)

This is another indicator. Depending on what impendence your headphone is closer to, the E17 or E11 may be more "powerful"

For me with the Q701's, the E17 was JUST loud enough for oldies albums and Pink Floyd, maybe getting a desktop amp instead and using E7 as DAC will do

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #4,161 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks that really helped. I'll go search another forum for suggestions on cheap beginners amps.

Getting help from multiple places is awesome, but just so you know, head fi deals with everything in amps. Getting a desktop amp would be best, most portable amps at the $150 price range that are portableand have DAC's at this price range won't have super powers either.

Jul 26, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #4,162 of 6,777
FYI.. that hub isnt powered so the battery backup you're using is providing the mA that the e17 needs. I did some quick searching and found a [COLOR=222222]Ultra Aluminus powered hub that would provide enough power for $15. This would remove the Targus battery backup from the mix.[/COLOR]

My intent was portability, and as Xeroian said, a powered hub tethers you to an electrical outlet. I wish I had known about the Matrix USB DDC, but I already sank $50 into this setup.

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #4,163 of 6,777
I received my E17 from B&H on Wednesday... 4 days ago. Being my 1rst headphone amp/DAC, I've been totally impressed and having a GREAT time rediscovering my music, using my
KRK KNS8400 headphones.... absolutely astonishing improvements! The joy ended a few minutes ago, as my E17 will no longer power on! :frowning2:  I had been using it with my iTouch a few hours ago and when turning it off, still had a nearly full charge. Trying to power it on fails. The hold button is off. I have switched it on and off numerous times to no avail. Any ideas as to what may be happening or something I can do, before returning it? Definitely disappointing to say the least....

*** OMG, newbie totally dumb user error! Was trying to power it on with hold switch in the down or OFF position! Geeeesh.... well happy again! :)

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #4,166 of 6,777
Quote:
But a powered hub requires a mains power supply so you lose portability. Or have I missed something about the Ultra Aluminus?

As documented earlier in this thread I went for the Matrix USB to SPDIF solution which the iPad drives quite effectively, and at 24 bit / 96K rates.

It's more portable but a little more expensive.

Ahhh, didnt realize you were going portable..though thats a big portable rig lol. 

I've actually been using the E17 with my JH16 and I've really been enjoying it! I scoured headfi to see if anyone else had tried the combo, but I couldnt find anything definitive. I'm glad I took the plunge, its a big improvement over my iPhone 4S!

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #4,168 of 6,777
Quote:
I received my E17 from B&H on Wednesday... 4 days ago. Being my 1rst headphone amp/DAC, I've been totally impressed and having a GREAT time rediscovering my music, using my
KRK KNS8400 headphones.... absolutely astonishing improvements! The joy ended a few minutes ago, as my E17 will no longer power on! :frowning2:  I had been using it with my iTouch a few hours ago and when turning it off, still had a nearly full charge. Trying to power it on fails. The hold button is off. I have switched it on and off numerous times to no avail. Any ideas as to what may be happening or something I can do, before returning it? Definitely disappointing to say the least....

*** OMG, newbie totally dumb user error! Was trying to power it on with hold switch in the down or OFF position! Geeeesh.... well happy again! :)

Hi. I got a same issue. I have used it for just four or five hours. Ready to return it, maybe give e17 another try, I don't know. 
frown.gif

It is good to know you have it back to live. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #4,169 of 6,777
Quote:

Hi. I got a same issue. I have used it for just four or five hours. Ready to return it, maybe give e17 another try, I don't know. 
frown.gif

It is good to know you have it back to live. 

What happens when you plug it in through USB? Does the red light come on? Can you try a differnt computer AND OR differnt USB port?

Is the hold switch enabled? Can you see "orange" in the HOLD location? Orange=locked 

Will the device turn on? Can you use a pin with the reset button. 

How about, engaging and then disengaging the hold switch(slide up, and then down, or vice versa) and then pressing power button?

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #4,170 of 6,777
Quote:
What happens when you plug it in through USB? Does the red light come on? Can you try a differnt computer AND OR differnt USB port?

Is the hold switch enabled? Can you see "orange" in the HOLD location? Orange=locked 

Will the device turn on? Can you use a pin with the reset button. 

How about, engaging and then disengaging the hold switch(slide up, and then down, or vice versa) and then pressing power button?

I tried reset button with a pin. It works again. Thank you. 
rolleyes.gif
  Hope it will be ok in the future. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back