FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #4,126 of 6,777
Quote:
Nothing wrong with speculation.Rather trust a specs page than someone's experience(as we all might experience the same things"differently").

The 250 ohm and 600 ohm beyers are the hardest. Because everyone has them...and I kid you not, everyone has said differnt things about them

I have had many say the 250 ohm beyers are driven extremely well with the E17 and E11, and one or two(one recently) say the 250 ohms aren't driven well with it. I have tme over here saying the 600 ohm works well with the E11/E17 and two that say otherwise.
At this point, I basically set a cut off mark. Most people don't use the e17 with the 600 ohm beyers and thus aren't as many input on if it works or not. Many with 250 ohm are using it...and so I leave the cut off at 250 ohm. No sense in playing a 50/50 game with newbies that come.

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #4,127 of 6,777
Thanks for the quick response. I'm still having issues. What do I connect the Aux on the E17 to? It doesn't seem to have a line out.

The Xonar DX has the following ports:
1) Line-In/Mic-In/SPDIF Out (this is all 1 port)
2) Analog Out (Main)
3) Analog Out (Surround)
4) Subwoofer Out
5) Analog Out (Rear)

Jul 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4,128 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks for the quick response. I'm still having issues. What do I connect the Aux on the E17 to? It doesn't seem to have a line out.

The Xonar DX has the following ports:
1) Line-In/Mic-In/SPDIF Out (this is all 1 port)
2) Analog Out (Main)
3) Analog Out (Surround)
4) Subwoofer Out
5) Analog Out (Rear)

You would plug into "front jack" you may need to set it up though depeninng on a few things.

There are some cards that can include the surround effect with the digital out.....and you can try that with the gaming threads but for now, front jack

Jul 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #4,129 of 6,777
Any idea how well would these drive HE-400? Thank you

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4,132 of 6,777
Quote:
Quick question:

For the E17, is there a way to disable the DAC and only use the amplification feature? I want to use the Asus Xonar DX for games (for superior positional sounds) and the E17+DAC for music/light gaming.

A better solution would be an Asus Essence ST(X) card in the PC. It has a dedicated headphone amp. and provides direct ASIO support up to 192K/24 bits. Used to play FLAC files from JRiver MediaCenter it produces an unbeatable PC sound.

Also if you plug the E17 into the Xonar "front speakers out" socket you are double amping.

Try using a decent USB cable to connect the E17 directly to the PC and optionally download the E17 ASIO driver from Fiio's site. I haven't tried connecting my E17 to the Asus SPDIF socket but that should be good also.

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #4,133 of 6,777
Just got the Little Dot MK3. Using the E17 as a DAC (Set to lo-pass) and it sounds amazing. It's crazy what a difference in sound there is. This is what I wanted my DT880's to sound like!

Thanks again for all the advice I gathered from this thread. Much appreciated. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #4,134 of 6,777
Any advice on getting the e17 to output more than 48k on optical or aux... USB will display 98k but everything else seems to stay at 48k

-edit Managed to get 96k out of optical and it sounds fine but if i set my computer output to 192k i get some strange static.

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #4,135 of 6,777
Quote:
Any advice on getting the e17 to output more than 48k on optical or aux... USB will display 98k but everything else seems to stay at 48k

-edit Managed to get 96k out of optical and it sounds fine but if i set my computer output to 192k i get some strange static.

That has happened to me on rare occasions as well, sorry but I have no solutions as of right now.

Jul 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #4,138 of 6,777
Quote:
This device will not work with Android, since Android lacks proper USB audio drivers.

I have heard of the E17 working with some devices, depends on the build of the system they are using, be it cyanogen or something else, then we have OTG support(if it has it or not) and if the software can or is compatible with that devices hardware and then since we are talking abotu the E17, there needs to be an external power source between the E17 USB input and the phone or tablet's USB output.

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #4,139 of 6,777
Quote:

This is fairly normal depending on what gear you have.  Optical has LOTs of jitter esp if you have a cable that doesn't lock in place (not all mine do).  All my DACs can do 24/192 nicely with coax or bnc but with optical nothing I have can output and transmit a 24/192 signal without lots of static.  Actually I'm not sure any of them are listentoable at 24/174.  plus if you are moving cables and hit the optical cable - the static gets much worse. It's just too picky.  I also have several devices that offer optical out but I've noticed that the output on my Oppo universal player is much brighter/stronger than all other optical outputs that I have - so depending on what chip and circuit you have, what type of adapters you're using and the cable you could be loosing a too much signal by the time it gets picked up.  just observations from playing with my own system.

note, my optical works flawlessly if I keep it below 24/96

Jul 23, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #4,140 of 6,777
Quote:
Mine came today and I am very happy with the purchase
but one thing is bothering me when I change my computer settings to 
24bit 192k optical line out to Fiio E17,it generates bad noise. Lowering it to 24bit 96k makes it fine again.

Any idea?

same as above... can you go coax instead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back