FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 15, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #4,036 of 6,777
Quote:
If it is only going to be desktop use only, HRT HeadStreamer would be something I would consider myself. However, given the budget you set, I am more incline to recommend O2+ODAC setup with wall adapter, easily the best sub$300 combo there is and should drive most 300ohm or less headphone without any problem. If you want to drive higher impedance headphone, you'll probably need more than $300 (or at least $300) to get something both powerful and good sounding.

I was looking for more unknown devices like Kiteki personally recommended AK4396 and Musiland 01 , I am trying to leave the popular scene and move into lesser known but good things :)

I got an O2 high performance desktop variant for cheap and already have a DAC being the NFB 12.1. I'll be selling the O2 probably

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #4,037 of 6,777
Quote:
If it is only going to be desktop use only, HRT HeadStreamer would be something I would consider myself. However, given the budget you set, I am more incline to recommend O2+ODAC setup with wall adapter, easily the best sub$300 combo there is and should drive most 300ohm or less headphone without any problem. If you want to drive higher impedance headphone, you'll probably need more than $300 (or at least $300) to get something both powerful and good sounding.

Just to throw my 2c in on the hrt ms...I owned it for a couple of months. It was a fair product and just only a notch above the e17 as a dac. It's limited with inputs being RCA only to connect to the amp. It was incredibly buggy in that it was prone to pops and clicks with used with foobar and the WASPI plugin, which happens to be my preferred setup. Note that it is firmware upgradeable and they were rewriting the pluggin so this may no loner be an issue. 

Quote:
But putting it top prospective, ODAC is just a $100 USB DAC without an amp section, or any other input / output / EQ besides line-out (or headphone-out, but limit to one of them IIRC). How much is BiForst again? I don't think it is even fair to compare the two. E17 is by no mean the be-all-end-all amp/DAC and I can certainly point out a few other alternatives that easily beat E17 for its SQ, but as far as I can recall, there isn't any other amp/DAC that has all of E17 features and at the same price range.

You're picking a little on the wrong person. I didn't unfairly make a comparison of apples and oranges here. I was asked to give my opinion of how the e17 sounded as a dac only and so I did. You imply that I don't appreciate the additional features of the fiio. Let me assure you that indeed I do recognize the versatility and features that the e17 brings to the table...I own three of them!! That doesn't change how the device sounds when used exclusively as a dac though. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4,038 of 6,777
Just to throw my 2c in on the hrt ms...I owned it for a couple of months. It was a fair product and just only a notch above the e17 as a dac. It's limited with inputs being RCA only to connect to the amp. It was incredibly buggy in that it was prone to pops and clicks with used with foobar and the WASPI plugin, which happens to be my preferred setup. Note that it is firmware upgradeable and they were rewriting the pluggin so this may no loner be an issue. 

I am talking about HeadStreamer, not the other Streamer series.

You're picking a little on the wrong person. I didn't unfairly make a comparison of apples and oranges here....

You didn't of course, but that doesn't mean those who read your comments will automatically understand the difference between an E17 to an ODAC or a BiFrost.

Jul 15, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #4,039 of 6,777
Quote:

From the manual:
- Red = Charging
- Blue = On
- Purple = On & Charging

Somewhere up in those 1000s of posts in this thread, a FiiO employee said the E17 draws 150 mA even with USB charging off.  I think most USB ports are limited to 500 mA.  If you've got an unpowered hub or splitter, etc. it may be less.  I don't know your setup, but it sounds like you may not be able to charge and use the unit simultaneously.  However, it shouldn't drain while connected.

I just opened wires of USB cable and measured mA with a clamp meter. It was 170-220mA with USB charging off, and 200-300mA USB charging on. The clamp meter isn't very accurate but gives some clue why my Nokia E7-00 doesn't work with E17:

Nokia E7-00 user manual :
"If you connect a hard drive that requires
more than 200 mA of power, use an
external power source for the hard drive."

Jul 15, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4,040 of 6,777
Quote:

I just opened wires of USB cable and measured mA with a clamp meter. It was 170-220mA with USB charging off, and 200-300mA USB charging on. The clamp meter isn't very accurate but gives some clue why my Nokia E7-00 doesn't work with E17:

Nokia E7-00 user manual :
"If you connect a hard drive that requires
more than 200 mA of power, use an
external power source for the hard drive."

iPad with CCK allows up to 100mA and E17 from FiiO said was approx 150mA (which yours sounds about right)
Many users have gotten it to work though with external power.

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #4,041 of 6,777
Sorry for polluting this thread with non E17 chat.. Blasphemy I know, but does anyone have an opinion on the Audiotailor Jade? I've discovered a UK distributor, and it's really not that much more than the Little Dot MK3. 

http://www.ampcity.co.uk/amplifiers/audiotailor-jade-tube-amp.html

I've read that the Jade might be a better pairing with the DT880's (250ohm) as one of the outputs has a nice low end boost. Something that would compliment the Beyers.
..Okay, slightly on topic I guess... I'd still be running the E17 with it. 
L3000.gif

Jul 15, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #4,042 of 6,777
I've read that the Jade might be a better pairing with the DT880's (250ohm) as one of the outputs has a nice low end boost. Something that would compliment the Beyers.

I wouldn't buy it for the low end boost.
Learn how to use an EQ instead. Much cheaper, and gives more customizable results.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #4,044 of 6,777
I think Joe has a guide on EQ?

I think he wants a tube amp to compliment his headphones and to get adequate power.

He said he might go for the Jade specifically for it's bass boost.

I'd go with Little Dot in any case. I used to have a Little Dot amp, and the looks and build quality are excellent. On top of that the contact person over at Little Dot (forgot his name) was very nice, and even gave me a free upgrade.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #4,045 of 6,777
Quote:
I think he wants a tube amp to compliment his headphones and to get adequate power.

Bingo

Quote:
I wouldn't buy it for the low end boost.
Learn how to use an EQ instead. Much cheaper, and gives more customizable results.

Well I wouldn't be buying it solely for the low end boost, but it would be a nice bonus. Yeah, I know how to use EQ, I'd just rather get the sound I'm after before hand. Don't really like relying on E.Q.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #4,047 of 6,777
Sometimes you have to "feel" what the person wants as they may mess up their words and add little other things :)

And then when that person gets called out on it for making it seem like they made it seem like they wanted something else, and a Rikkun-saurus comes by and trolls on that said person, that said person feels like this:

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #4,049 of 6,777
Sometimes you have to "feel" what the person wants as they may mess up their words and add little other things :)

And then when that person gets called out on it for making it seem like they made it seem like they wanted something else, and a Rikkun-saurus comes by and trolls on that said person, that said person feels like this:

Are you trying to troll me with the lie that I was making an attempt at trolling him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back