FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #3,962 of 6,777
Quote:
I was just adding some precaution that brand name doesn't equal everything is fine and dandy in the receiver. I have heard of Denon's having audio problems and Yamaha's(I own two of them worth $800 each) and etc. Take Nuforce's amp/dac problems for example.

the panda goes where the panda sees....but only his destiny, is revealed.To those...that carry the light of Azarath!

I currently have 3 Yamaha pieces.  All three are 2-channel stereo items.  One is an integrated amplifier and the other two are receivers.  Two are from the latest model line-up and one is from the last generation that was retired less than 2 years ago.  All of my Yamaha pieces have outstanding headphone sections.  I feed them with Squeezebox devices, which feature Burr-Brown DACs.  Though one of my Squeezebox devices is the "Touch" and I'm not sure which DAC was used in that device.

I was actually surpirsed at how good the sound was.  They do an excellent job of driving my HifiMAN headphones, too.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #3,963 of 6,777
Quote:

I currently have 3 Yamaha pieces.  All three are 2-channel stereo items.  One is an integrated amplifier and the other two are receivers.  Two are from the latest model line-up and one is from the last generation that was retired less than 2 years ago.  All of my Yamaha pieces have outstanding headphone sections.  I feed them with Squeezebox devices, which feature Burr-Brown DACs.  Though one of my Squeezebox devices is the "Touch" and I'm not sure which DAC was used in that device.

I was actually surpirsed at how good the sound was.  They do an excellent job of driving my HifiMAN headphones, too.

This is blasphemous of me. But I have never used them for headphone audio. They are sitting downstairs...the Denon broke and I never bothered to hear it and now we have a Yamaha we bought a few years ago. I've more or less neglected them for audio.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #3,964 of 6,777
The tip just came off my optical converter inside the FiiO E17.....only about a week old and had just got it set up to use with my TV and CIEM's and it breaks. What do I do guys? I cant fish it out. The bottom one is the broken one, the top one is the one that came with the E17

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #3,965 of 6,777
The tip just came off my optical converter inside the FiiO E17.....only about a week old and had just got it set up to use with my TV and CIEM's and it breaks. What do I do guys? I cant fish it out.

DISCLAIMER: do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible.

If you can't get a really small set of tweezers in there, this is what I would try: Put the tiniest dot of superglue on the broken end of the connector, push it into the E17, wait 30 seconds or so, and pull it out. You will definitely want to use the more gel-like superglue - the liquidy stuff will probably drip and make the connector stick to the E17 jack.

This is probably a really bad idea, but it's the only thing that came to mind.

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #3,966 of 6,777
It's less than two weeks old, i'm not even attempting to put glue near it. I emailed FiiO immediately. Hoping to hear a good response
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: do this at your own risk. I'm not responsible.
If you can't get a really small set of tweezers in there, this is what I would try: Put the tiniest dot of superglue on the broken end of the connector, push it into the E17, wait 30 seconds or so, and pull it out. You will definitely want to use the more gel-like superglue - the liquidy stuff will probably drip and make the connector stick to the E17 jack.
This is probably a really bad idea, but it's the only thing that came to mind.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3,967 of 6,777
Is that FiiO's mini Toslink to Toslink adapter? If so then contacting them would be best, as it's only 2 weeks old.

Another member had a problem with the "glass" falling out. Those Toslink adapters came from an OEM of course. I bought a adapter from monoprice that was, I think 100% exactly the same so it might be that the OEM may have some issues possibly. But then again, like CLIEOS's post, there will always be a percentage of error.

Jul 13, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #3,968 of 6,777
Quote:
Is that FiiO's mini Toslink to Toslink adapter? If so then contacting them would be best, as it's only 2 weeks old.

Another member had a problem with the "glass" falling out. Those Toslink adapters came from an OEM of course. I bought a adapter from monoprice that was, I think 100% exactly the same so it might be that the OEM may have some issues possibly. But then again, like CLIEOS's post, there will always be a percentage of error.

Just curious. Do you work for Fiio?
You reply to every comments in this thread and have that Panda identity thing :)

Jul 13, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #3,970 of 6,777
Jul 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #3,972 of 6,777
Is there any theoretical or real improvement in switching from usb to toslink?

Just wondering...

Theoretically jitter should be lower, depending on the USB receiver chip used. But the jitter induced distortions should be far below the level of normal noise in both cases, so it's inaudible.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #3,973 of 6,777
I am very happy to report that I received the Matrix USB to SPDIF Converter this morning and I am now listening to 24bit/96kHz FLAC files on my iPad using the E17.  Sounds Glorious!!!  No distortion and no powered USB hub.

Oh, and it only hurt my wallet a little bit relative to everything else head-fi...

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3,974 of 6,777
So, I just got the Beyer DT880's (250ohm) and a Fiio E17 amp, but I'm having a bit of an issue.

To get to a pretty loud and full (but not ear blasting) level, the Fiio has to be turned up to around 55 on 12db, but around there it starts to peak and distort slightly. When it is set to 6db, it has to be on max, which is 60. Which is a pretty nice level, quite loud. Just seems very strange that it has to be on max volume to achieve that level.

Does that sound right to you, or is the E17 just not powerful enough to drive the 250ohm DT880's? I'm trying to work out if there is a defect with something, or that's just how loud they go.

This is running through USB-DAC to my Macbook (96khz - 24bit) with volume max on the laptop. All files are FLAC, with the lowest quality I've tried being 320k.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jul 13, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,975 of 6,777
Quote:
So, I just got the Beyer DT880's (250ohm) and a Fiio E17 amp, but I'm having a bit of an issue.

To get to a pretty loud and full (but not ear blasting) level, the Fiio has to be turned up to around 55 on 12db, but around there it starts to peak and distort slightly. When it is set to 6db, it has to be on max, which is 60. Which is a pretty nice level, quite loud. Just seems very strange that it has to be on max volume to achieve that level.

Does that sound right to you, or is the E17 just not powerful enough to drive the 250ohm DT880's? I'm trying to work out if there is a defect with something, or that's just how loud they go.

This is running through USB-DAC to my Macbook (96khz - 24bit) with volume max on the laptop. All files are FLAC, with the lowest quality I've tried being 320k.

Any help would be appreciated!

Check "Audio Midi Setup" to see if your things are down. This may be similar but hold the "option" key and click on the volume control in the upper right hand(default) corner. The "advanced" or extended options should drop down. Hit Sound Preferences. See if anything is being limited there as well or raise it.

Ex pic:

This is what audio midi setup looks like.

So you are going:
Macbook Pro-->E17(with USB input)-->HEadphones 
right? Your wording was a bit weird.

Are there any other programs that may affect this?

Try this with an iPod or another source, be it through AUX in or anything and see if it gets loud enough. Try with a different comptuer and iPod, USB in and AUX in, getting your PMP and doing aux in(with the pmp on max) should work just fine to test this out.

Most have said the E11 is fine and has enough power for this(250ohm beyers) but how "loud" something gets really depends on the user.

Are you listening to oldies or classical? With Foobar and even iTunes, you should be able to do "sound check" as iTunes calls it or Foobar's own extension to "raise" the volume of the songs. I would sometimes max to 60 on my Q701's when I play classical and classic rock songs.

The bolded parts are probably what is happening, but check the top part as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back