FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #3,826 of 6,777
Has anyone found a way to use the E17 DAC with iPad, other than buying the Matrix converter for over $50? Why does the iPad think USB power is required when charging is "off" on the E17? Very disappointing...

[=http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/3495#post_8399026]This[/] is how I did it, but it actually cost no less than the Matrix solution.

The iPad current limit for the USB CCK is 20 mA. The E17 draws 150 mA (according to a FiiO employee who occasionally posts in this thread.)

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #3,827 of 6,777
Hey guys, How does this Alpen compare in terms of sound quality and sound stage to the Pico Slim? Also, does the Alpen pair well with sensitive IEMs? I currently have a pair of customs that running unamped gives a slight hiss and having my Pico Slim attached to the back of my iPod is great and all but i want something with more options for when I get other audio gear and to have a second amp. I was looking into the E17 for it's pairing with the E9 which would definitely help make it valuable to have as I look into the future of my audio gear career.

I don't want to replace the Pico Slim, but merely have a secondary amp, let me know what you guys think for this situation. Is the Pico Slim a whole lot better?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/1035#post_8110107

These are not my thoughts and the device is not a slim. But hope you find it useful.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #3,828 of 6,777
We are developing a new portable DAC for Android phone which is fully self powered by build in battery, which means it will suitable for iPad too. but I think the iPad DAC is a very narrow market.  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,829 of 6,777
Quote:
We are developing a new portable DAC for Android phone which is fully self powered by build in battery, which means it will suitable for iPad too. but I think the iPad DAC is a very narrow market.  

Awesome news! Would you mind posting a render or concept art of the device just so i can get my excitement juices pumping 
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #3,830 of 6,777

If you make it work for android, make it work for the ipad too. I doubt it would be harder , allows more "fiio famous universality". I wish it would work with my phone as dac, but apple liscense...... is a problem.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3,831 of 6,777

You are my hero.

I want to have a portable amp/DAC, but I find most of them don't work on Android for some odd reason. This is very good news indeed.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,832 of 6,777
Quote:
You are my hero.
I want to have a portable amp/DAC, but I find most of them don't work on Android for some odd reason. This is very good news indeed.

You are forgetting the best news Rikkun. This is FiiO, and it doesn't seem like the Android DAC will be a flagship unit....so look at or think about how much it will maybe cost.... With the E10 and E7 as baseline price.......  and not some $400 snake oil

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,833 of 6,777
You are forgetting the best news Rikkun. This is FiiO, and it doesn't seem like the Android DAC will be a flagship unit....so look at or think about how much it will maybe cost.... With the E10 and E7 as baseline price.......  and not some $400 snake oil

Exactly. I didn't forget about that, I merely assumed it as common knowledge :D

Only thing left is the form factor. I'm already carrying around pretty much the biggest phone on the market. If the thing is too thick, then the discomfort when carrying it in my pocket will be too great.

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #3,834 of 6,777
Quote:
Exactly. I didn't forget about that, I merely assumed it as common knowledge
biggrin.gif

Only thing left is the form factor. I'm already carrying around pretty much the biggest phone on the market. If the thing is too thick, then the discomfort when carrying it in my pocket will be too great.

FiiO is still actively releasing line out or cable based instruments so they will like they did with the L9 release a universal android very minimalistic cable(not always at the same time as release) that works with either a plethora of android devices that support OTG or at least the very popular ones...or variants of cables(unlikely?) FiiO's portable amps and products...are actually very small. The E17 was pretty small considering it had a two stage amp and a DAC and a screen with all those inputs...unless something happens I expect something like this:

(although the shadow isnt a DAC)

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3,835 of 6,777
FiiO is still actively releasing line out or cable based instruments so they will like they did with the L9 release a universal android very minimalistic cable(not always at the same time as release) that works with either a plethora of android devices that support OTG or at least the very popular ones...or variants of cables(unlikely?) FiiO's portable amps and products...are actually very small. The E17 was pretty small considering it had a two stage amp and a DAC and a screen with all those inputs...unless something happens I expect something like this:

(although the shadow isnt a DAC)

A universal Android cable? Not really possible, different phones use different outputs. Mine uses micro-USB B, but mini or other connectors are common too.

And yeah, I do kinda need a DAC as well. HP out from my phone isn't exactly audiophile quality, although good enough for portable use in most cases. However, if and when I get CIEM's I want a DAC/amp

Jun 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3,836 of 6,777
Quote:
A universal Android cable? Not really possible, different phones use different outputs. Mine uses micro-USB B, but mini or other connectors are common too.
And yeah, I do kinda need a DAC as well. HP out from my phone isn't exactly audiophile quality, although good enough for portable use in most cases. However, if and when I get CIEM's I want a DAC/amp

Oops, forgot about that part, and the need for an amp :)

Hmmm.. What would be awesome but would add size, cost and other stuff is that in addition to the android dac and amp..there is the option to again line out the amplifier so you can essentially use it like a CLAS AND a HP-P1..but for Android..

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #3,837 of 6,777
Oops, forgot about that part, and the need for an amp :)

Hmmm.. What would be awesome but would add size, cost and other stuff is that in addition to the android dac and amp..there is the option to again line out the amplifier so you can essentially use it like a CLAS AND a HP-P1..but for Android..

That's not possible without modding the phone itself, which I won't since I'll be losing my warranty over stuff like that.

Line-out over USB is not possible either. The apple connectors are different, as they also have plugs dedicated to audio, instead of USB which only supports digital transfer and DC power.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #3,838 of 6,777
Quote:
That's not possible without modding the phone itself, which I won't since I'll be losing my warranty over stuff like that.
Line-out over USB is not possible either. The apple connectors are different, as they also have plugs dedicated to audio, instead of USB which only supports digital transfer and DC power.

What i meant is that as you will be using a external DAC and amp in the soon to be FiiO unit, having Fiio allow the DAC to send a fixed(or variable..or both, but I like fixed) line signal out of another port..or even the same one to another amp would be a nice nifty addition.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3,839 of 6,777
What i meant is that as you will be using a external DAC and amp in the soon to be FiiO unit, having Fiio allow the DAC to send a fixed(or variable..or both, but I like fixed) line signal out of another port..or even the same one to another amp would be a nice nifty addition.

Yeah, but I won't be using such a function since it won't fit in my pocket anymore if I do.

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #3,840 of 6,777
Quote:
Yeah, but I won't be using such a function since it won't fit in my pocket anymore if I do.

Well Fiio universality is quite well known... but just saying that many would love to have it. Using a DAC..but have the option to add an even more expensive small form ($500) amp from who knows what. Pico and what not for their IEM's, or even the Ray Samuels pictured above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back