FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #3,811 of 6,777
Yeah I get that it may sound biased (since I did purchse the item) but I wanted to throw out there a "newbie's" initial impression.

So far I can tell there is a difference in the sound quality.  I know this is extremely unhelpful to someone wanting specific detail.  For me, I'm glad it does indeed sound better.  It makes me want to listen to my music more often.

Yeah, I'll post specific impressions when I spend more adequate time with the device.

So far songs sound clearer (a little more open too) and the bass is deeper than before.

This may be helped because I am using a LOD on my iPod instead of the headphone jack, although I can tell this has a much larger impact than the LOD + E5 I used in the past.

It also sounds better than the E10 I used before.

Then again those two cost significantly less than teh E17 so you have to take that into consideration I guess... =\

Jun 23, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #3,812 of 6,777
Quote:
Yeah I get that it may sound biased (since I did purchse the item) but I wanted to throw out there a "newbie's" initial impression.

So far I can tell there is a difference in the sound quality.  I know this is extremely unhelpful to someone wanting specific detail.  For me, I'm glad it does indeed sound better.  It makes me want to listen to my music more often.

Yeah, I'll post specific impressions when I spend more adequate time with the device.

So far songs sound clearer (a little more open too) and the bass is deeper than before.

Hahah yeah! I know it was one and I even posted my own back then. People like seeing initial impressions. It makes the device look popular and make them want to buy it even more

The bolded part...... this thread does have 255 pages...... pages 50-80 and 100-120 and who knows what after has the most info on the E17 actually.

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #3,813 of 6,777
My E17 doesnt work with my DV6 USB 3.0 port. Though it detects, installs and shows in the list. But no sound when I connect to USB 3.0 port. USB 2.0 works fine for me. My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit).

I went through this thread and found that E17 works fine with USB 3.0

Is it the problem with my DV6 USB 3.0 port or my E17?

Jun 24, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #3,814 of 6,777
If it works fine with USB2.0 port but not USB3.0 port, then your PC's USB3.0 driver is probably the culprit.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #3,816 of 6,777
@Clieos
Is this an upgrade from Lear  FSM-01

SQ wise, no. It is more like side stepping. In fact, I'll say FSM-01 is slightly better in transparency.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #3,818 of 6,777
I regard the e17 very highly and despite the massive thread here I still don't think that people appreciate just how good this product is overall. With that being said, I'm disappointed with e17 as a dac. 

I've spent quite a few hours with it over the past two days with a Schitt Asgard and Yulong A100 and for me it just falls short. I will be doing some comparisons with the odac and bifrost over the next few days to see just how it stacks up.

Oh well...

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #3,819 of 6,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be doing some comparisons with the odac and bifrost over the next few days to see just how it stacks up.

Looking forward to ODAC comparison
popcorn.gif

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #3,820 of 6,777
I will be doing some comparisons with the odac and bifrost over the next few days to see just how it stacks up.

No wonder you feel disappointed. ODAC and BiFrost? They are not that easy to beat :rolleyes:

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #3,821 of 6,777
Has anyone found a way to use the E17 DAC with iPad, other than buying the Matrix converter for over $50? Why does the iPad think USB power is required when charging is "off" on the E17? Very disappointing...

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #3,822 of 6,777
Quote:
Has anyone found a way to use the E17 DAC with iPad, other than buying the Matrix converter for over $50? Why does the iPad think USB power is required when charging is "off" on the E17? Very disappointing...

It's been said before on this thread. You need to somehow supply extra power to the E17. The USB draw ITSELF is over the iPads limits of 100-150mah. Not very disappointing, it's a regular device that doesn't have the "gift" that other DAC's do. Being able to use your DAC with an ipad or other portable device that allows its usage is not a given, it's a special "addition" that some audiophiles can enjoy(typically on $100 portable DACs) as they won't need as much USB power draw usualy(there is a thread on which DAC's will work with iPad and it's limit).

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #3,823 of 6,777
Thanks bowei006,
Sorry for my whingeing, I'm actually quite satisfied with the E17 through the LOD, and using its DAC instead of the Mac line out is a real pleasure. It's just that I expected it to work like the E7. No big deal, I really like the E17 with my MS1i's. Thanks for responding.

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,824 of 6,777
Quote:
Thanks bowei006,
Sorry for my whingeing, I'm actually quite satisfied with the E17 through the LOD, and using its DAC instead of the Mac line out is a real pleasure. It's just that I expected it to work like the E7. No big deal, I really like the E17 with my MS1i's. Thanks for responding.

Big thumbs up for a nice reply! 
gs1000.gif
 Others usually give me a "go away" remark or something. Or even worse, argue and whine even more about how they want and expected something that was not in the official features or barely talked of.

LIke I said, there is a thread with the list of devies that have a low enough USB powerdraw to be used with the iPad through CCK so give it a look if you would ike :)

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #3,825 of 6,777
Hey guys, How does this Alpen compare in terms of sound quality and sound stage to the Pico Slim? Also, does the Alpen pair well with sensitive IEMs? I currently have a pair of customs that running unamped gives a slight hiss and having my Pico Slim attached to the back of my iPod is great and all but i want something with more options for when I get other audio gear and to have a second amp. I was looking into the E17 for it's pairing with the E9 which would definitely help make it valuable to have as I look into the future of my audio gear career.

I don't want to replace the Pico Slim, but merely have a secondary amp, let me know what you guys think for this situation. Is the Pico Slim a whole lot better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back