FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 21, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #3,766 of 6,777
Jun 21, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #3,769 of 6,777
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 22, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,770 of 6,777
I just wanted to say that I would not hesitate to buy another Fiio product again.  The ALPEN was my first Fiio purchase.  I recently had problem with my ALPEN and I had it replaced without any hassle at all.  PM responses from feiao on here, and email and telephone responses from their authorized dealer were prompt and professional.

They back their products and support the customer very well and that makes me a happy customer.

Thanks guys (at Fiio) !

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3,771 of 6,777
How can I connect the E17 to my HDTV?

I have a panasonic plasma (http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P42ST30-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBPW) that has a "Digital audio output: 1 (optical)".

Can I connect the E17 using a M/M toslink cable like this one?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022904&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

It would be nice to connect my headphones directly to my HDTV and use the E17 for volume controls.

I appreciate the help.

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #3,772 of 6,777
You should be able to connect via toslink cable but not sure you'd want to. The sound would be output through the tv speakers or possibly passed through to a receiver. 

What are you after here?

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3,773 of 6,777
Just got the E17 yesterday and I must say that the E17 has turned my Audio Technica 900X into a bass pumping headphone. I would highly recommend the E17 to anyone who thinks that their headphones need more bass. The extra power definitely helps but the EQ adds more bass without distortion not like the Iphone crappy EQ. Thank you to Fiio for such a great product at a reasonable price.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #3,774 of 6,777
Quote:
You should be able to connect via toslink cable but not sure you'd want to. The sound would be output through the tv speakers or possibly passed through to a receiver. 

What are you after here?

Thanks for replying.

What I really would like to do is listen to audio from the television (as a source) using my headphones.

My TV does not have a headphone jack so at the moment I cannot connect headphones unless I ues the optical out.

Will the E17 allow me to connect my heaphones to my tv (via): TV optical out-> toslink cable -> E17 -> headphones or will I need a reciever to feed the audio through?

Thanks again for the help.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,775 of 6,777
It would be really nice to be able to connect all of devices to my TV (Blu-ray player, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) and use the E17 to feed the audio source to my headphones.   I don't know if this is possible though and I currently do not have a reciever.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,776 of 6,777
@afro
All you need is a toslink optical cable from tv optical out to E17. And yea for your second post, you can if your tv has it just plug all those devices into the TV and use input to switch around and... Your tv will send the signal to optical out(you may need to select it)

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #3,777 of 6,777
Quote:
@afro
All you need is a toslink optical cable from tv optical out to E17. And yea for your second post, you can if your tv has it just plug all those devices into the TV and use input to switch around and... Your tv will send the signal to optical out(you may need to select it)

So this cable should work ok then?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022904&p_id=2764&seq=1&format=2

I've never used these types of cables so I'm really unsure what toslink/miniplug/etc cables are.  Male/male toslink should work I think?

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,778 of 6,777
Quote:
So this cable should work ok then?

I've never used these types of cables so I'm really unsure what toslink/miniplug/etc cables are.  Male/male toslink should work I think?

Does the optical output on yout TV look like this? If so then yes, that sort of cable will do, the E17 however only receives and needs a mini toslink adapter

your E17 unit should have come with one of these adapters, all you need is that cable if your TV has the output above and you plug the adapter into the other end and then into the E17.

Please keep in mind that for this purpose, I actually don't recommend that cable. I have it. It is VERY THICK and is meant for FULL A/V speaker setups. It is so thick and heavy that it is not very manuverable and actually can twsit can swing the E17 around due to the weight. Get a normal thin cable or a slightly meatier thin cable. Their won't be a difference in sound quality. There are things like how good the fiber insde is, the frequency and all that but at such a sub $20 price for a cable...and even getting thousand dollar ones, it's very hard to hear the sound quality difference, order from a well received company :)

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #3,779 of 6,777
Wow, thank you very much for all of this information.

I believe my TV looks like the first picture you posted (I'll double check when I get home from work later)

Thanks for the cable recommendation too! (I'll definitely get a thin cable version). 

This is extremely helpful information and exactly what I was looking for. :)

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #3,780 of 6,777
Quote:
Wow, thank you very much for all of this information.

I believe my TV looks like the first picture you posted (I'll double check when I get home from work later)

Thanks for the cable recommendation too! (I'll definitely get a thin cable version). 

This is extremely helpful information and exactly what I was looking for. :)

If your TV has regular RCA and HDMI inputs and your blu ray player and xbox and wii are all connected to those ports, then there should also be a "variable input" switch that allows you to switch between them right? Doing that, you don't need a receiver, you could really then just switch inputs and have the audio pass from the TV into E17, which is what I suspect it should do (normally).

The Xbox360 and I believe PS3 support S/PDIF out but if you can do it through TV, then it should be easier on you.

Just make sure not to buy from a SUPER DUPER cheap ebay or amazon retailer that has shoddy pictures, there could be problems. A $8 optical cable should do. Also make sure you have that mini toslink adapter :) , if not, order one from monoprie as well.

Thin ones bend easier and can damage the cable's fiber optic wiring which is why the "fancy" one was super thick but the thickness of the monoprice one is wway too extreme for the E17 and headphone audio. I currently use it with my desktop unit and it works very well, but it is not manuverable and swung my E17 around. 

ALWAYS cap the optical cable when not in use. Every dust particle will affect the cable's sound...ok I am exxagerating but dust and oil residue form fingers are a big no no! Don't touch the lens or anything. Always cap it and do it slowly and well when you are removing and plugging in the E17.......see the dillema now? Many people have static(non moving) TV and home entertainment setups as removing and constant plugging of optical cables really isn't good and over time...is actually pretty bad since ....it's very hard not to touch it(I have). You don't need to buy another E17 or a desktop unit, but just saying to be careful, if you come in very oily one day and get a big swipe on the optical cable....well....you might have some problems sonically. It is a cheap cable but shipping is the part that matters :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back