FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jun 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3,691 of 6,777
Quote:
Good to know, thank you for the info.

B&H is a great place to buy but keep in mind they are not an authorized dealer of FiiO's. However they are friendly and good enough that they should provide you with help in case you get a screen where like another users has a line going across it.
http://fiio.com.cn/where/index.aspx

Here is the full list of authorized dealers. FiiO also gives a 1 year limited warranty. As of last I checked or asked they gave it for all devices be where it was bought from but they have an updated warranty list that sounds like they may be limiting support and warranty to only devices sold by authorized dealers(something many hifi manufactuers do).
http://fiio.com.cn/about/Asissit.aspx?MenuID=020902

My legal knowledge is small to nill and so I do not know their current policies. However rejoice! Micca store SHOULD be at $140 as well with free shipping! They are an authorized dealer and I had no problems with them nor any other users here. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #3,693 of 6,777
I was on the market for this a few weeks ago but I bought them used for $120 from a seller here on head fi. I do think accessoryjack sells them for around 160 shipped though. Best price you can get for it new...for now.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #3,694 of 6,777
Hi. Can I ask for help please!

Have just bought an FiiO E17 and am very happy with the amp when connected via an L9 to my iPhone4.

But am having problems connecting it to my PC running Windows XP. Opt for USB input as required and connect. When I enter Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - the E17 is now happily illustrated as my default playback device. So Properties display is illustrated. Click on Audio. Click on Advanced and opt for headphones output. At that point the E17 display changes from 48k 16bit to 96k 24bit. So far so good. Then try playing a track from Windows Media Mibrary and the E17 display reverts to 48k 16bit immediately.

I cannot see a way to change that setting from the 48k 16bit to 96k 24bit. The PC E17 Properties display shows basic sound, audio and driver details only with no way of making any changes. Have tried this on two separate PC's using Windows XP. Youtube videos show that Windows 7 enables Managing Audio Devices to achieve this change to 96k 24bit. 

Can I effect the change here? I was recommended to use 'foobar' which I have downloaded. However when going to 'preferences and then playback I see no facility to change output settings.

Would be grateful for any advice here!!!  

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #3,695 of 6,777
Hi. Can I ask for help please!

Have just bought an FiiO E17 and am very happy with the amp when connected via an L9 to my iPhone4.

But am having problems connecting it to my PC running Windows XP. Opt for USB input as required and connect. When I enter Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices - the E17 is now happily illustrated as my default playback device. So Properties display is illustrated. Click on Audio. Click on Advanced and opt for headphones output. At that point the E17 display changes from 48k 16bit to 96k 24bit. So far so good. Then try playing a track from Windows Media Mibrary and the E17 display reverts to 48k 16bit immediately.

I cannot see a way to change that setting from the 48k 16bit to 96k 24bit. The PC E17 Properties display shows basic sound, audio and driver details only with no way of making any changes. Have tried this on two separate PC's using Windows XP. Youtube videos show that Windows 7 enables Managing Audio Devices to achieve this change to 96k 24bit. 

Can I effect the change here? I was recommended to use 'foobar' which I have downloaded. However when going to 'preferences and then playback I see no facility to change output settings.

Would be grateful for any advice here!!!  

I think it's because Windows (correctly) recognizes that the source is 16/48 instead of 24/96. You would have to upsample it before passing it through the Windows sound kernel.
In foobar2000, at least in my case, I can go to Preferences -> Playback -> Output and select 24-bit for "output format".
The 96kHz sampling rate is achieved by running the signal through an upsampler DSP. Preferences -> Playback -> DSP Manager. Then add the Resampler (PPHS) plugin, which should come with standard installation of foobar2000. Click "Configure Selected" and set sampling rate to 96000

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #3,696 of 6,777
Tilpo - Thank you!!!

I followed your instructions to the letter and all came good.

Thus I am now listening to the 96k 24 bit splendid track of 'Me and Bobby Mcghee' from Janis Joplin's Big Brother and the Holding Company's CD's.

Such a rich and wonderful experience.

Thank you again.

Peter  

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #3,698 of 6,777
Quote:
What Camera and settings did you use?

Photoshop? Because it seems like the E17 has a chocolate brown tint that is pairing VERY nicely with the IE80's

Canon G11. Setting "P" mode, ISO 100, F2.8 (auto), shutter speed 1 second (auto) and macro. Slightly dim light. No photoshop/software editing. The chocolate brown tint is probably the reflection from my brown desk.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #3,699 of 6,777
Quote:
Nice... great set-up and picture. I have always been nervous about getting expensive in-ear phones, how resilient are those? 

If you are asking about the IE80 cable, the cable is quite soft, comfortable and well made. Some people reported that the cable will harden at low temperature (below 0 fahrenheit). However, that happens to most cables.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #3,700 of 6,777
Is this Amp good enough for the AKG  Q 701 quincy adams? to bring out close to max potentials of it?

No. It is a good portable amp for it if ypu want to use it with it but no. If you want the E17 for portability and what not and then want to use it with the 701. Sure! It drives it well and is musical and fun. However many use $600 equipment with the 701. So yes this amp is good enough, if you want to multi task the features but close to max? No.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #3,701 of 6,777
No. It is a good portable amp for it if ypu want to use it with it but no. If you want the E17 for portability and what not and then want to use it with the 701. Sure! It drives it well and is musical and fun. However many use $600 equipment with the 701. So yes this amp is good enough, if you want to multi task the features but close to max? No.

I have been enjoying my K702s in my desktop setup with the E17. I've been surprised how well the Fiio drives them.

Question: how much better do your AKGs sound through the O2 or whatever other amp you are using?

Jun 13, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3,702 of 6,777
I will be receiving the O2 tomorrow. :)

I am using them with the Audi Gd nfb 12.1. I was not able to make a direct comparison of the E17 to the nfb so i am going off memory. The E17 is warmer, less transparent, not as accurate and more musical and fun. I will say that it is likr tht as it is more universal and caters to first timers as well.

Some may not be able to justify paying an extra $140 for something like this, but as we are on head fi. It happens. The E17 works well and if thats all you have then thats fine as well. It costs more an more money to get better sound.

My poor wallet guys :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #3,703 of 6,777
I am interested in your thoughts about the E17 vs the O2 when paired with the AKGs. The O2 is quite attractive at its price.

Jun 13, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #3,704 of 6,777
I got it to test out and for fun since I got it at a very very attractive price new so its all fine.
It will take a month before I will say anything about the threee though. I will be going on a slight outdoors vacation next week and then I need adequate time to hear and do all that stuff I do :)

That MS2 and WA6 set of yours is no lightweight either!! I am also looking at tubes and the WA6 was recommended for headphones I am interested in(for a long time) wont say what it is though as it will make me feel obligated!!

Jun 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #3,705 of 6,777
I will be receiving the O2 tomorrow. :)
I am using them with the Audi Gd nfb 12.1. I was not able to make a direct comparison of the E17 to the nfb so i am going off memory. The E17 is warmer, less transparent, not as accurate and more musical and fun. I will say that it is likr tht as it is more universal and caters to first timers as well.
Some may not be able to justify paying an extra $140 for something like this, but as we are on head fi. It happens. The E17 works well and if thats all you have then thats fine as well. It costs more an more money to get better sound.
My poor wallet guys :frowning2:

By most people's standard your stuff is entry level.
You're not allowed to complain about cost just yet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back