FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3,541 of 6,777
hehe, probably the Galaxy S b/c I have a huge extra extended battery and it's super convenient with wifi/download songs right onto it, etc...  I would totally go back to J3 (for the battery life), but it's a little hard to control in the car when I want to listen to a specific song.  I like my D3 just fine, but one of my DAPs have to go...and the Galaxy isn't selling on the classifieds so far..  

I'm probably gonna look for another PSP for super cheap since I have a big memory card for it and since I got my Vita for so cheap.  Just got the dock for it today which has line out sound ($5!!)  Everything Vita is getting cheap---games at walmart for $20 right now.  Bought a couple games plus dock today for $50 total--2 really good games like Lumines and Katamari.  There's another Vita for sale on craigslist right now in portland for $150.......including memory card and game...haha.  People are having a hard time selling their $300/$250 vitas with accessories for even $200 on CL right now..........

May 25, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3,542 of 6,777
The Vita was a massive failure here in the U.S.

Remember that line out doesn't mean perfect. Does the line out bypass just the amp or DAC? Are you use it bypasses the amp?

Remember that the qualty of the DAC and the chips surrounding it from how it extracts the audio and types of materials used and teh sofware and many circuitry will affect sound quality and Wolfson does not just automatically equal awesome.

May 25, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,543 of 6,777
Quote:
Thats strange because I have the same setup and have no hiss. One or two songs have a little bit in the background but the rest of my collection doesn't have it. I've found my e17 makes some noise depending on where i place it. I had it attached to the back of my notebook with velcro but there was some occasional interference.

Maybe it's because I use it as a portable rig with my iPod Classic via LOD connector... I guess I'll try it via USB to see if it makes a difference (And again, it is very low: in a crowded area, even with the isolation that the 535s provide, I probably wouldn't hear it)

May 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #3,544 of 6,777
Is it bad using the +10 bass boost on this? I previously had it on +4 T and +4 B, but I tried +10 Bass and instant eargasm 
basshead.gif

May 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #3,545 of 6,777
Quote:
Is it bad using the +10 bass boost on this? I previously had it on +4 T and +4 B, but I tried +10 Bass and instant eargasm 
basshead.gif

It really is dependant on what you like. Most "audiophile's" think +10dB bass is too much but really it's up to what you subjectivaley prefer. And remember not to ruin your drivers as too much bass at high volumes with bad tracks for extended periods or an instant period at the wrong moment could damage them.

May 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3,546 of 6,777
Quote:
The Vita was a massive failure here in the U.S.

Remember that line out doesn't mean perfect. Does the line out bypass just the amp or DAC? Are you use it bypasses the amp?

Remember that the qualty of the DAC and the chips surrounding it from how it extracts the audio and types of materials used and teh sofware and many circuitry will affect sound quality and Wolfson does not just automatically equal awesome.

it's been an even bigger failure in japan (world's biggest handheld market)....where the PSP is still outselling the Vita 2:1.....and the 3DS is outselling both by more than that....   Lot of people blame Monster Hunter, but.......it could just be that the handheld gaming market has permanently changed towards Angry Birds/Plants vs. Zombies-like games on the go. 

The Vita is one amazing piece of hardware, though...

May 26, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #3,547 of 6,777
Quote:
If you use 0db gain on the E17.......what's the point? Just wondering.. I love the sound of 12db so much more and there is no distortion at all.... So not sure why people would use 0dB gain. Are they even utilizing the E17 at all? I can't hear much of a difference at all with 0dB... 6, and especially 12 sounds wonderfully full and alive

I've had my E17 for about 2 wks.  I love it at the desk with my K702s; +6 on the gain and +2 on the bass sounds very nice.  I am thinking about a desktop amp, perhaps the O2 or the M-Stage.  I haven't tried my SE215s w/o the Fiio hooked up to my iPod Classic (via LOD).  I just got the Shures.   Sounds like a bit of experimenting with the gain is in order.  I can say that the few moments I tried the E17 at +12 gain (w/the AKGs) I did not care as much for the sound as with the lower gain settings.  Maybe I was hasty to judge.

May 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #3,550 of 6,777
Quote:

it's been an even bigger failure in japan (world's biggest handheld market)....where the PSP is still outselling the Vita 2:1.....and the 3DS is outselling both by more than that....   Lot of people blame Monster Hunter, but.......it could just be that the handheld gaming market has permanently changed towards Angry Birds/Plants vs. Zombies-like games on the go. 

Agreed. But let's not forget the fact that the 3DS had similar issues for the first 3 - 6 months on the market that Vita is having. I don't think the Vita will be a runaway success, but I think it'll end up a success rather than a failure for Sony *IF* it gets supported with high quality games throughout it's life. So far it has. It will continue. And sales will pick up. 

I do agree though that nowadays with the handheld market there's limited call for it now that smart phones are essentially portable mini consoles and people are happy just to download Angry Birds for peanuts and play that on journeys out.

May 26, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #3,551 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed. But let's not forget the fact that the 3DS had similar issues for the first 3 - 6 months on the market that Vita is having. I don't think the Vita will be a runaway success, but I think it'll end up a success rather than a failure for Sony *IF* it gets supported with high quality games throughout it's life. So far it has. It will continue. And sales will pick up. 

I do agree though that nowadays with the handheld market there's limited call for it now that smart phones are essentially portable mini consoles and people are happy just to download Angry Birds for peanuts and play that on journeys out.

The Vita has been out for a year in Japan, though..  we'll see if anything at E3 will revive the outlook for both consumers and developers.  Perhaps it'll be a slow burning success like the PSP was, but the even the PSP didn't struggle like this out of the gate.

May 27, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #3,552 of 6,777
Sony is announcing 20 new things at E3.. They could be games or anything. 
Also some great games are still coming to vita such as soul sacrifice. ---->  http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/05/12/25-minutes-of-soul-sacrifice
Also, playstation all stars battle royale, little big planet, resistance, sly cooper, an exclusive bioshock game, final fantasy x hd, mgs collection....... 
Then ps1 games. 

Gonna be good just have to give it a bit of time. 

3ds was slow at the start but picked up later. ps3 was very slow at the start (due to high price tag) but has the best games out of all of the consoles at the moment.

May 27, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #3,553 of 6,777
Quote:
Sony is announcing 20 new things at E3.. They could be games or anything. 
Also some great games are still coming to vita such as soul sacrifice. ---->  http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/05/12/25-minutes-of-soul-sacrifice
Also, playstation all stars battle royale, little big planet, resistance, sly cooper, an exclusive bioshock game, final fantasy x hd, mgs collection....... 
Then ps1 games. 

Gonna be good just have to give it a bit of time. 

3ds was slow at the start but picked up later. ps3 was very slow at the start (due to high price tag) but has the best games out of all of the consoles at the moment.

Unless they release a PMP that has the features below.. *yawn*

1. Very functional (this will cover everything meaning it has to work well)
  2. Great universal UI
  3. Doesn't need web browsing or apps unless they can incorporate it well and knowing Sony....don't do it.
  4. Support for many popular audio formats; FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc etc. (lame mp3, ogg vorbis etc etc)
  5. Sturdy
  6. Good battery
  7. A decent internal size of storage and removable storage through SDHC and not a stupid sony proprietary format
  8. Line Out
  9. Cirrus Logic or Wolfson DAC
  10. Decent headphone amp
  11. Clean circuitry from everything. Even if you have a good Wolfson, have crappy circuitry and inefficiency and it's a crap device.
  12. Price that is competetive to an iPod's
  13. Sounds good

May 27, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,554 of 6,777

• Very functional (this will cover everything meaning it has to work well)
  • Great universal UI
  • Doesn't need web browsing or apps unless they can incorporate it well and knowing Sony....don't do it.
  • Support for many popular audio formats; FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc etc. (lame mp3, ogg vorbis etc etc)
  • Sturdy
  • Good battery
  • A decent internal size of storage and removable storage through SDHC and not a stupid sony proprietary format
  • Line Out
  • Cirrus Logic or Wolfson DAC
  • Decent headphone amp
  • Clean circuitry from everything. Even if you have a good Wolfson, have crappy circuitry and inefficiency and it's a crap device.
  • Price that is competetive to an iPod's
  • Sounds good

I've been looking for such a device for ages. Eventually I couldn't bear waiting any longer until such a device was created. After that I decided to buy a phone with support for 64GB SD cards.
Too bad the sound quality is pretty mediocre, and that Android doesn't support USB audio. Once it does support it properly, I won't hesitate to buy an E17.

May 27, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #3,555 of 6,777
Quote:

1. Very functional (this will cover everything meaning it has to work well)
  2. Great universal UI
  3. Doesn't need web browsing or apps unless they can incorporate it well and knowing Sony....don't do it.
  4. Support for many popular audio formats; FLAC, AAC, MP3, etc etc. (lame mp3, ogg vorbis etc etc)
  5. Sturdy
  6. Good battery
  7. A decent internal size of storage and removable storage through SDHC and not a stupid sony proprietary format
  8. Line Out
  9. Cirrus Logic or Wolfson DAC
  10. Decent headphone amp
  11. Clean circuitry from everything. Even if you have a good Wolfson, have crappy circuitry and inefficiency and it's a crap device.
  12. Price that is competetive to an iPod's
  13. Sounds good

Fair enough.......
Would this system play games? Or would it just be a walkman type device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back