FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #3,511 of 6,777
So what is your opinion about headphones. Lately i feel like most headphones can be equalized to sound good. I started off my headfi journey thinking I was only gonna get the best unadulterated sound with very neutral phones.

May 23, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #3,512 of 6,777
Just hooked my iPad (version1) to the USB camera kit with a powered hub and it works great. Thanks for helping me get a digital out from my iPad. I thought it was hopeless.

May 24, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #3,513 of 6,777
any chance a future firmware update could enable support for 88.2kHz via USB?
Or maybe it's been already fixed? (sorry I can't really go through this thread's 235 pages)

this is the deal-breaker for me, I would really love to get the E17...

May 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3,515 of 6,777
any chance a future firmware update could enable support for 88.2kHz via USB?
Or maybe it's been already fixed? (sorry I can't really go through this thread's 235 pages)

this is the deal-breaker for me, I would really love to get the E17...

It is impossible to decode 88.2Hz as the USB receiver doesn't support it. However, there is a easy fix. You can try to use software player like FooBar2000 that supports upsampling so all your 88.2Hz file will be upsample to 96kHz on the output. It won't improve the SQ though.

May 24, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #3,516 of 6,777
As I said in an earlier post I love this solution. However after experimenting I found that if you don't own a Y cable it isn't necessary to buy or create one. I just connect the portable power source into one port on the USB hub and the FiiO cable in to another.

Ian

Quote:
I think it's been covered much earlier in this thread or perhaps in another thread, but I though I'd post it anyhow.

Below is the kludge I've worked up to get digital audio out of my iPad and into my E17.  Luckily, I'm not in the habit of trying to lug this around with me, but it's nice to know I can if I want to.

1. iPad 1 WiFi 64GB (from Apple)
2. iPad Camera Connection Kit (from Apple)
3. GearHead UH2100 4-port USB 2.0 Hub (from Fry's Electronics) [Any hub should work]
4. Targus APB25US Battery Backup (also from Fry's) [Cheapest one I could find]
5. FiiO E17 DAC/Amp (from B&H Photo)
6. Hosa MHE-100.5 1/8" right angle to 1/4" adapter (from Best Buy) [Optional, reduces stress on E17 output jack]
7. Sennheiser HD598 (from Amazon) [Substitute your own cans]
8. 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable (from my own supplies, like this one on Newegg)

How To
1) Turn USB charging off on E17
2) Connect items 2 through 8
    (Ensure the power USB connector is in the battery backup and the data USB connector is in the hub)
3) Turn on E17
4) Push button on Targus battery backup
5) Connect items 1 and 2 (Battery has to be feeding E17 before connecting the iPad)

What's Happening
The battery backup supplies the E17 with the 5 V, 150 mA it uses (even with USB charging off).
I really thought this would work without the hub, but alas, it does not.  I don't know exactly what the hub is doing in this setup (e.g. ensuring the battery doesn't try to charge the iPad or some other sort of electrical/signal isolation) - regardless, it's required.
This specific battery backup is rated at 3.7 V, 2000 mAh, so by my calculations, it will keep the E17 going to 9+ hours in this setup (make sure to turn USB charging off).

-IKE

May 25, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #3,518 of 6,777
That's what I did. With shared iTunes libraries, I can now get a digital out of all my lossless music anywhere in the house. Once again, thanks for suggesting this solution.

BTW anyone else driving their AKGs with the E17? Am I crazy to think that this little amp drives the K702 very nicely?

May 25, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3,520 of 6,777
Quote:
Only possible complication is that the USB cable does need to be good quality. I had always rubbished the idea that USB cables can sound different. Then last week I mistakenly used a cheapo USB between DAC and iPAD. I couldn't work out why the sound from the E17 had such a ragged top end, then I realised what I had done.

Ian

Hi Ian,

First let me reiterate my situation.  I've been using the E17 with my iPad via CCK and USB hub to play 96khz-24bit FLAC files using FLAC Player.  Up until the iOS was updated to 5.1, this set up worked perfectly.  After the iOS update to 5.1 I get what sounds like distortion (maybe it is this "ragged top end" you speak of) on any files that are above 48khz. They can be FLAC files on FLAC Player or AIFF files on the Apple music player - it doesn't matter.  I've worked with Dan Leehr (FLAC Player developer) to see if he could do anything to no avail.  I'm desparately seeking a solution!!  My "portable" Hi-Res DAP is rendered useless because of this.

So, a few questions to you...  First, are you listening to files that are higher than 48khz when you hear this "ragged top end"? Second, are you using a 2x USB A to 1x Mini B Cable like what Ike shows in his diagram?  If you are just using a powered USB Hub, what brand and model is it? What brand and model USB cables are you using?

Thanks!

May 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #3,521 of 6,777
Quote:
I have Q701s. Yes it does drive it nicely. Oldies and some classic that doesnt go up to the 96dB ceiling(of 16bit dynamic range) and are a lot lower have some trouble getting to rock hard volume(dont do that) but otherwise it has enough power for the Q701s

Agreed.  Some older recordings don't have enough volume, at least with the gain at +6.  That's as high as I'll take the gain.  To me the +12 setting sounds too grainy.  Most of my recordings sound great though, plenty loud and clear enough.  The E17 is also pretty quiet at +6, no hiss.

May 25, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,523 of 6,777
Agreed.  Some older recordings don't have enough volume, at least with the gain at +6.  That's as high as I'll take the gain.  To me the +12 setting sounds too grainy.  Most of my recordings sound great though, plenty loud and clear enough.  The E17 is also pretty quiet at +6, no hiss.

That is why I use replaygain. Approximately the same volume on all albums, and hence no need to change volume at each new album.

May 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #3,524 of 6,777
@rikkun
Would replaygain be software or hardware based? For you that is? The E17 has no such hardware for that so its software which adds my question of how efficent and good the "replygain" is. Of course this differs from which one you use.... Which one do you use and is the one you use for foobar?
Any audible loss of quality or addition of artifacts or distortion?

May 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #3,525 of 6,777
Quote:
That is why I use replaygain. Approximately the same volume on all albums, and hence no need to change volume at each new album.

I'm interested in this, but I almost always use my iPad (either the Remote app or shared library) and I've gotten used to just changing the volume from the iPad.  I've tried gain levelers in the past and found that they degrade the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back