FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
May 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #3,391 of 6,777
Quote:
I see that boweii has become an authority over FiiO amps.

Nope. I don't go onto other threads and I don't spend much time in real forums. Mainly on my member thread. I just go to any thread on my notifications list that has a Red number next to it and read it. And if there are questions I answer them. I try not to do discussion on this thread.

I do help out when I do go on regular forums with FiiO stuff though. Only general questions usually.

I wish I was an authority over FiiO amps. Then I would have an E9 sitting next to me. And the E19 next to future me in a year.

May 13, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #3,392 of 6,777
Hi Guys,

Can you use the optical input alongside the L7 in DAC mode?.

I want to pass through optical from my Apple TV to my Schitt Valhalla using the L7 but from what I have read it looks like the L7 only allows the E17 to run as a USB DAC.

thanks

May 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #3,393 of 6,777
Hi Guys,
Can you use the optical input alongside the L7 in DAC mode?.

Yes, you can. Line-out will work with every mode except for AUX-in.

May 13, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #3,395 of 6,777
To extend on his answer and quell confusion it seems the "USB in" on the L7 pic is used for charging. As this was originally for E7 that didnt have SPDIF.

It can be used as USB charging on the E17, but USB-in will work just as well if the USB mode is selected.

May 14, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #3,398 of 6,777
Quote:
Quote:
thanks bowei.  Wow..might be worth getting one of these then (L7)....that way I don't double amp when I plug into any of my sources, right?  I wouldn't need it for Cowon D3 with digital out if I'm not mistaken :)  

hopefully I don't need something like this to connect Cowon D3 and E17..... http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Optical-Toslink-Coaxial-Converter/dp/B000I98ZQY  if I understand correctly, D3 has coax digital output......  :frowning2:  

If the D3 has digital out then no.

E17 supports Coaxil in.

It has a little adapter for it but you need the right coaxil cable and type

I see--allow me to get this straight--with the L7, I can use the E17 as JUST the DAC using digital out via D3...and bypass E17's Amp....and only use the D3 amp, right?  This should be the most ideal, right, if I had the D3 and E17.   

or wait......if I'm using the L7, doesn't that bypass E17's amp as well?  So there'd be no amp in this setup???  

D3 ---> optical/coax digital/spdif/cable/adapter ---> Spdif In (E17) --->  L7 LOD --> headphones....     

May 14, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #3,399 of 6,777
Quote:

I see--allow me to get this straight--with the L7, I can use the E17 as JUST the DAC using digital out via D3...and bypass E17's Amp....and only use the D3 amp, right?  This should be the most ideal, right, if I had the D3 and E17.   

or wait......if I'm using the L7, doesn't that bypass E17's amp as well?  So there'd be no amp in this setup???  

D3 ---> optical/coax digital/spdif/cable/adapter ---> Spdif In (E17) --->  L7 LOD --> headphones....     

If you go straight to digital-out on the D3, and use the L7 and flip the LO bypass switch on the E17, then yes, there would be no amp in the setup.

May 14, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #3,401 of 6,777
Quote:
@drunkn
It doesnt matter if you cant hear the difference. USb will do as its easier to use and maintain and can charge your device.

@hypgen
Yeah if you use L7 there will be no amp. Outputting a digital stream from D3 already means the amp is bypassed on the D3

so....there'd be no point in doing that then, right?  -_-

What could be a useful thing to use the L7 with the E17 then?  Any other source using headphone jack (out) or even the D3 (using headphone out).....  that would be single amping....whereas if you don't use L7 = dual amping no matter what the volume on the source player, right?

Since you've never heard the Galaxy S sound + voodoo....perhaps I should send you one to borrow/test out :-o  Only after I sold the J3, did I realize the J3 IS indeed a better source than the Galaxy S + voodoo.............    the headphone jack sound is extremely clean--and REALLY powerful--no amp needed like a lot of people say.   I was able to tell the difference clearly when plugging into my car audio

May 14, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #3,402 of 6,777
The purpose of the L7 is for people that want to use E17 as DAC but use their own powerful amps instead and not dual amp.

It isnt useless with your D3. It would essentially make your D3 an awesome source as it outputs digital stream but if you want an easy portable setup then you either dual amp.. Or use D3. Unless D3 has line out which i dont think it does as you didnt say that.

Its ok. Ill work my way to get my hands on one, one of these days but again. I doubt that its clean and its probably coloration that makes it sound good. Coloration to fit is needed just as much as flatness. Many mainstream songs dont play well on flat equipment or close flat. So to combat that its needed for some subjective tuning to get it right

May 14, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #3,403 of 6,777
Just to make sure I'm not getting scammed:

The Fiio e17 should cost between $130 and $140 new with prices not being inflated right? Getting it for $185 or $205 means I would be best served waiting a little, right?

May 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #3,404 of 6,777
Quote:
Just to make sure I'm not getting scammed:

The Fiio e17 should cost between $130 and $140 new with prices not being inflated right? Getting it for $185 or $205 means I would be best served waiting a little, right?

It should cost $140 - $150 USD if it is new.

If the prices are higher than that, then it is due to supply and demand driving up the price.

May 14, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,405 of 6,777
Quote:
The purpose of the L7 is for people that want to use E17 as DAC but use their own powerful amps instead and not dual amp.

It isnt useless with your D3. It would essentially make your D3 an awesome source as it outputs digital stream but if you want an easy portable setup then you either dual amp.. Or use D3. Unless D3 has line out which i dont think it does as you didnt say that.

Its ok. Ill work my way to get my hands on one, one of these days but again. I doubt that its clean and its probably coloration that makes it sound good. Coloration to fit is needed just as much as flatness. Many mainstream songs dont play well on flat equipment or close flat. So to combat that its needed for some subjective tuning to get it right

can't it also be used to single amp with any other source such as iPod (via headphone jack)?   thanks--and sorry if you've already made this clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back