FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #3,091 of 6,777

Quote:
It is hard to detect humour on forums sadly 
tongue.gif
 So use Emoticons instead! Super Awesome! 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks, I had more in depth stuff I could have typed...but I had my main thread to attend and answer so I just gave a half answer and was getting my typing guns ready in case anybody want's to debate. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

De-arming my typing guns. 
biggrin.gif

LOL. I need to learn to use the smilies more... [typing guns] that needs it's own smilie
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #3,093 of 6,777

Quote:
Okay, please don't throw any cabbages, but does the e17 benefit/change with burn in? 
ph34r.gif

It depends on what you believe in through reading or experience, If you think solid state devices need or require burn in. If you don't then it doesn't matter. IF you do then the review and other members say around 15 hours or less to lessen brightness or something. I have yet to play with enough device and I've had the e17 for too long so I don't remember pre burn in and post burn in(15 hour) sound.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #3,094 of 6,777

Quote:
Okay, please don't throw any cabbages, but does the e17 benefit/change with burn in? 
ph34r.gif

If so I hope not much. I love how it sounds out of the computer comboed with the V-moda M-80. These two synergize well. For lack of a better term the music has a SNAP to it. You know what I mean? Very tight and detailed.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,095 of 6,777

Quote:

If so I hope not much. I love how it sounds out of the computer comboed with the V-moda M-80. These two synergize well. For lack of a better term the music has a SNAP to it. You know what I mean? Very tight and detailed.

I'll stop posting after this and go back to my support role(hehe)

But to let you know, Vmoda is just about to introduce their own amp and DAC combo...but don't worry..it's priced in $600 range so don't worry.(from my sources that had beta access at a meet that Val attended.)

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #3,096 of 6,777

Quote:

It depends on what you believe in through reading or experience, If you think solid state devices need or require burn in. If you don't then it doesn't matter. IF you do then the review and other members say around 15 hours or less to lessen brightness or something. I have yet to play with enough device and I've had the e17 for too long so I don't remember pre burn in and post burn in(15 hour) sound.

I believe it does require a bit of a break/burn in. out of the box i found it to be too bright to my liking... played music with it the whole night then tried to listen to it again, the brightness lessened. i dont know why.. maybe it's just adjusting to my d5k.lol

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #3,097 of 6,777

Quote:

But to let you know, Vmoda is just about to introduce their own amp and DAC combo...but don't worry..it's priced in $600 range so don't worry.(from my sources that had beta access at a meet that Val attended.)

does anyone have a dac/amp/headphone combo?:) must be nice like having denon making their own dac/amp intended for their particular set of headphones:)

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #3,098 of 6,777

Quote:

does anyone have a dac/amp/headphone combo?:) must be nice like having denon making their own dac/amp intended for their particular set of headphones:)

Well this is a question so I guess Im comming back. 

Does Denon make or have products that utilize amp's and DAC's for a more pleasurable listening experience?(although consumer) YES!

They make a wide range of receivers with decent chips in it..

anyway I know what your question is, to my knowledge the only companies that make full amp and DAC's and also headphones is:
Fostex (oem for many headphones including Denon)
Vmoda(now)

Vmoda VAMP uses teh same OPAMP as teh E17 for those wondering, the AD8397

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #3,099 of 6,777

Quote:

Yeah I've been loosely following the "vamp" thread. Sounds interesting.

Apr 27, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #3,100 of 6,777
Okay, so the e17 is a touch bright to me out of the box. I've EQ'd it down to -4 and it sounds about right to me. I'll burn in over the weekend and adjust as needed. To me, the bass does seem to hit quite as hard as the e10. Anyone want to comment here?

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3,101 of 6,777

Quote:

I attended that meet, and i got to try out the Vamp. Stylistically, the Vamp is very sleek it fits the iPhone like a glove, and the vamp is designed specifically for the iPhone. If you guys haven’t seen it.... picture it looking like a custom molded case for the iPhone that makes the back of it about half an inch thicker.

Val is an awesome guy so this is hard to say, but i was not impressed with the vamp at all. I turned up the volume as loud as it goes... didn’t seem to get much louder than the internal iPhone amp. It has an analogue control for volume and bass. Bass output is nowhere near the E17. 

The vamp bypasses the iPhones internal Dac, but i couldn’t not notice a difference between the iPhone dac and his vamps. I did a/b comparison plugging it in and out of the vamp... i didn’t notice an overwhelming difference. To be fair i only used it for about 6 minutes, so i am sure if i spent more time with it i hear the difference in sound signature.

To sum up the Vamp... The thing is the coolest looking dac/amp for iPhone. It fits is perfectly, i have pictures but i am not sure if i am supposed to post them. Lacking in bass and sounds output, and sound signature isn’t immediately discernable, unlike when you plug the E17 to iPhone or computer, you can HEAR the sound difference right away, even if you are new to audiophile stuff.

I think this is still a prototype, and if he can improve it, this thing will be pretty cool.

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #3,102 of 6,777
Can someone help with setup on the e17. I'm wondering about setup for my music files. I play through foobar using the waspi plugin. My music collection is ripped to flac and I've connected the e17 through usb. The fiio reads only 48k 16 bit. What do I need to do to get the best sound?

thanks...

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3,103 of 6,777

Quote:
Can someone help with setup on the e17. I'm wondering about setup for my music files. I play through foobar using the waspi plugin. My music collection is ripped to flac and I've connected the e17 through usb. The fiio reads only 48k 16 bit. What do I need to do to get the best sound?

thanks...

What OS are you running Matt? I have Win7 64. Playing my E17 now and it reads 24/96 on E17 readout. You have to set up win7 and foobar both to read 24/96.
Oh also I just reread your post. Do you have any 24/96 flac files. The E17 wont upgrade your 16/48 flacs.

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #3,104 of 6,777
Maybe I need to learn more about ripping flac files. I used foobar to rip my cd's to flac. Why am I not getting 24/96? Please advise. I use W7 64 bit.

thanks...

Apr 27, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3,105 of 6,777
CDs are always going to be 16/48. The FLAC rip is a bit for bit transfer of the original and CDs are recorded 16/48(or 16/44). So you have to purchase hi-res files from somewhere like HD tracks.
In Win go to control panel/hardware and sound/sound. Find the Fiio and switch it to 24/96.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back