FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 27, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #3,076 of 6,777

Quote:
Also is the balance supposed to cut the R/L completely as you go R/L or is it just by a few dB?

NM. Found my answer. I think the Fiio just has a more sophicated balance control than I'm use to. It seems to be more of a pan control than a side to side volume control.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3,077 of 6,777

Quote:
@sinew4v
You may have a faulty unit. Or a faulty usb cable. Try a different usb cable and plug on your computer heck try it with aux
As this review said even with a 5% faulty batch the more units made, the higher that goes.
Most as you can tell dont have this problem... Most? You are the first to have this specific one.
After i say what i am about to say next you will be " oh yeah i know that" and of course you probably do deep down but didnt connect it yet.
Just because your computer and hardware is new and self built with the most updated drivers does not mean your board or usb ports has some deficiencies by design or by that percent error and those updated drivers do not mean you have the best fix.
Try a front panel and back panel usb port. Ones that are on your chasis connected to the mobo sometimes have static issues.
And as said also try the two way 3.5mm cable with your computers audio out on the back(not on front) direct from the motherboard out is better for tests. And see if aux gives any issues and then report back.

MICCA just tole me that only 3 E17 have problem, one is about headphone socket, 2 are pop noise , so far they sold out about 600pcs ALPEN. we plan to ask our supplier to make headphone socket as we want, it will cost us about $10,000 to make private molding but it will help us improve

the quality to a very high level ( RMA rate may decrease to less than 0.5% ).

BTW, the pop noise may be not the problem of ALPEN itself.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #3,078 of 6,777

Quote:
@sinew4ve

How long have you been using the E17? I'm not sure if my experience is the same as yours but I thought maybe I should share it with you.

When I first got mine, I plugged it into my MacBook Pro straightaway for charging. Since I was too eager to use it, I turned it on after just 30 mins of charging and let it run and charge at the same time. I set the E17 as the default audio device in the System Preferences. Then I started playing some music. The sound was OK but I noticed some static/distortion for a few seconds every time I press a key on my keyboard (any key).

I was really worried that there is some problem with my E17. I tried many other music and different file format and the problem still the same. I also tried closing and restarting the music player app (Decibel), but it's still the same. Then I tried restarting my laptop and everything works fine from then onwards. Phew!

I'm not sure why the E17 exhibit this behaviour on first use, but I guess maybe it's due to the device driver was not loaded properly and a restart solved the problem. Hope you will find a solution soon cos the E17 is really a marvelous product. I'm loving it. Cheers!

When connected to PC/Laptop through the USB, some problem about the SQ may cause by the PC/Laptop because the OS are running lots of task so the USB data stream may have problem to sending the data correctly. it will be better to try your ALPEN in other PC to see whether the problem still there.  

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,079 of 6,777

Quote:

MICCA just tole me that only 3 E17 have problem, one is about headphone socket, 2 are pop noise , so far they sold out about 600pcs ALPEN. we plan to ask our supplier to make headphone socket as we want, it will cost us about $10,000 to make private molding but it will help us improve

the quality to a very high level ( RMA rate may decrease to less than 0.5% ).

BTW, the pop noise may be not the problem of ALPEN itself.

Hi Feiao.
I'm having an issue with my Alpens Aux in. It makes a pop/whoosh noise out of the right side of my headphones(Westone UM2 and V-MODA M-80). The USB and S/PDIF have no problems and sound fantastic.
I have tried the headphones with different DAPs, amps, and DACs just to eliminate the headphones as the problem.
I haven't tried using the supplied 3.5mm patch instead of the L9 LOD cable as suggested by another member, but I will give that a shot tonight.
So it's either the Alpen or the L9(I will order another L9 just to be sure).
I contacted Micca about a replacement, but was told they could not give me one because they were running out of stock and that is understandable. I also don't want a refund as I really like the sound of this little DAC.
I just wanted to note the issue here with you incase I need to send it off to you for warranty work.

Thanks Feiao

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #3,080 of 6,777
Just got mine in!! Are you supposed to charge it several hours first? Something that I'll miss from the e10 is a simple knob for volume control. Didn't think about that really. An analogue volume control is such a simple yet necessary function. 

First impression after 20 minutes. They sound is good but there is a LOT of noise/hiss. Am I doing something wrong here?

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #3,081 of 6,777

Quote:
Just got mine in!! Are you supposed to charge it several hours first? Something that I'll miss from the e10 is a simple knob for volume control. Didn't think about that really. An analogue volume control is such a simple yet necessary function. 

First impression after 20 minutes. They sound is good but there is a LOT of noise/hiss. Am I doing something wrong here?

damn mattcg.. thought ur not goona jump in buying the e17.lol

when i received mine, i just left it plugged in the whole night with my d5k while continously playing music... i dont have any hissing problem.. try restarting your computer and plug the e17 again.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #3,082 of 6,777

Quote:

Yes. Mine took a 6-7 hrs before the red light went dim indicating it's fully charged. I haven't had to charge it again so not sure it's just the initial charge that takes so long, but once it's charged it seems to last forever. I've used it a lot in the last couple days and it's only dropped a couple bars off the battery indicator. Fiio definately implimented a good design for long battery useage.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #3,083 of 6,777
Okay. Charged it a while and did a restart on the pc and no hiss!! Sounds really good. I'm liking the hardware EQ. Gain control is nice for switching between d2k an he400. Gonna need some serious time with to develop a real idea of how it sounds. 

Still miss the volume knob though 
redface.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,084 of 6,777

Quote:

Yes. Mine took a 6-7 hrs before the red light went dim indicating it's fully charged. I haven't had to charge it again so not sure it's just the initial charge that takes so long, but once it's charged it seems to last forever. I've used it a lot in the last couple days and it's only dropped a couple bars off the battery indicator. Fiio definately implimented a good design for long battery useage.

that's why it's a portable amp:) it takes forever before the battery runs out:)

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,085 of 6,777

Quote:
Okay. Charged it a while and did a restart on the pc and no hiss!! Sounds really good. I'm liking the hardware EQ. Gain control is nice for switching between d2k an he400. Gonna need some serious time with to develop a real idea of how it sounds. 

Still miss the volume knob though 
redface.gif

restart seems to solve the hissing issue. i read that one member had the same problem and pc restart solved it:) the problem i guess is on the driver. anyhow lets enjoy the e17! it definitely made my d5k sing!!!

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #3,086 of 6,777

Quote:

that's why it's a portable amp:) it takes forever before the battery runs out:)

I wish apple had that mentality. I bet I will charge my touch 3-4 times to the E17 1...

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,087 of 6,777

Quote:

I wish apple had that mentality. I bet I will charge my touch 3-4 times to the E17 1...

You use the iPod touch more than the E17.(probably) not to mention you are probably not using it like the E17 with it's limited controls. The iPod has to run background applications if you don't close them(it had basic multi tasking with the iPod and other apps at first, current multi tasking is a worse battery eater), next your wireless based connections be it wifi or bluetooth if you didn't close it will suck up power. Your screen brightness when you use it and how you use it will also matter. Then we have what applications you are going to be using and etc. A charge per day is normal. The iPod is mm's thick. IT is very hard to blame a device like that espeically when Apple's products are made to be "relatively" enviromentaly friendlier than they used to be.

Apple has this mentality. That's why their computers have unibody design and advanced energy management chips to regulate power and thus give Apple computers their 7+ Battery life on regular computers and 9 hours on their "Air's".

Apr 27, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,088 of 6,777

Quote:

You use the iPod touch more than the E17.(probably) not to mention you are probably not using it like the E17 with it's limited controls. The iPod has to run background applications if you don't close them(it had basic multi tasking with the iPod and other apps at first, current multi tasking is a worse battery eater), next your wireless based connections be it wifi or bluetooth if you didn't close it will suck up power. Your screen brightness when you use it and how you use it will also matter. Then we have what applications you are going to be using and etc. A charge per day is normal. The iPod is mm's thick. IT is very hard to blame a device like that espeically when Apple's products are made to be "relatively" enviromentaly friendlier than they used to be.

Apple has this mentality. That's why their computers have unibody design and advanced energy management chips to regulate power and thus give Apple computers their 7+ Battery life on regular computers and 9 hours on their "Air's".

Thanks Bowei, but I was being facetious... :)

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #3,090 of 6,777
It is hard to detect humour on forums sadly 
tongue.gif
 So use Emoticons instead! Super Awesome! 
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks, I had more in depth stuff I could have typed...but I had my main thread to attend and answer so I just gave a half answer and was getting my typing guns ready in case anybody want's to debate. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

De-arming my typing guns. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back