FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Apr 23, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #2,988 of 6,777
I got some of the HM5/FA-003 type OEM cans yesterday. Just killing it with the e17
L3000.gif

...everyone was right. this place is bad for your wallet
frown.gif

Apr 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #2,990 of 6,777

Quote:

I think the DAC, but i heard it loses brightness over time

What's your control when you say the E17 is bright?

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #2,991 of 6,777
I have to say I am a little underwhelmed thus far with my E17. I've only had it a couple of days and isn't really bad, just not as earth shaking as I was hoping. Using it with my Laptop via USB it definitely improves the sound of my music collection but doesn't seem to be as noticeable with movies ripped at around 1-2GB. 
Using it with my iPhone it definitely improves the sound but to be honest I still think my Aud-5X CIEMs sound better straight from my Rockboxed Clip+. The clip just seems to have better extension, particularly in the sub-bass department which is very important to me. The only downside to the Clip+ for me is the user interface (I tend to flick around songs rather than just let an album play) so I was hoping the E17 would give me the same sound but with the iPhone touch interface (using either the standard player or panamp). Sadly it hasn't so I think I now need to decide if I'll keep it just for my laptop or sell it on here.
Don't get me wrong, the E17 does sound a lot better than the standard iPhone but if I prefer the sound of the Clip+ then the extra weight and bulk is hard to justify.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,992 of 6,777

Quote:
I have to say I am a little underwhelmed thus far with my E17. I've only had it a couple of days and isn't really bad, just not as earth shaking as I was hoping. Using it with my Laptop via USB it definitely improves the sound of my music collection but doesn't seem to be as noticeable with movies ripped at around 1-2GB. 
Using it with my iPhone it definitely improves the sound but to be honest I still think my Aud-5X CIEMs sound better straight from my Rockboxed Clip+. The clip just seems to have better extension, particularly in the sub-bass department which is very important to me. The only downside to the Clip+ for me is the user interface (I tend to flick around songs rather than just let an album play) so I was hoping the E17 would give me the same sound but with the iPhone touch interface (using either the standard player or panamp). Sadly it hasn't so I think I now need to decide if I'll keep it just for my laptop or sell it on here.
Don't get me wrong, the E17 does sound a lot better than the standard iPhone but if I prefer the sound of the Clip+ then the extra weight and bulk is hard to justify.

You must like the sound of the DAC in the Clip+ compared to the iphones DAC. Remember the E17 will not bypass the DAC in the iphone, only the amp.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2,993 of 6,777
Mine just showed up in the mail. I have it charging as I type this. We'll see how it compares to the E7. Better I'm assuming...

Apr 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,994 of 6,777

Quote:

I tried but it wasnt working, optical cord in the spdif out port to the fiio e17 spdif in port. with headphones in the headphone port and their was no sound. So i have it on USB right now.

Also which sample rates should I have checked for best results?

Still having problems with this, could it be because the xonar dg doesnt support 192? Im using the latest unified xonar drivers.

Apr 24, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,995 of 6,777
Just order the e17 from ebay. Was about to order from amazon but the price jumped up $50!! Got $139 free shipping from a trusted ebay retailer. Can't wait...hoping for a good upgrade from my old e10.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,997 of 6,777
Really? I bought mine from Amazon last Fri for $149(Micca store) and they threw in a free toslink cable...

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #3,000 of 6,777
After 50 hrs burn-in I can tell that E17 is the king of USB DACs but this king has no mercy and he is aggressive too

I rarely listen to good recordings may be some 20% but mostly I listen mostly to indian music which has recording quality from medium to poor....Clip+ easily forgives and I really enjoy the musical signature but E17 reveals all the pit falls in the recording making  me to remove my headphones or change the track

Isn't there any DAC/Amp which suits my taste?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back