FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 27, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #2,311 of 6,777

Quote:
Where are you guys buying these from? I'm having a hard time locating a dealer online, or even a time frame for when the second batch will ship. Also another questions...this forum is way too long and I am way too busy to search 150+ pages, do you think it is a better option to buy e7/e9 now used and cheap, or wait for the e17/e9? I am using d2000s and will be using either ultrasone pro 900s or dt880 250ohms...thanks!

Shipments have been sent out for the second batch, there are still more to be sent out. Best bet is to keep an eye on the forums here, or your favorite web stores. Might just be worth placing a preorder for them. Stock is low and they are not coming fast.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,314 of 6,777
I want to use it both portably and as a desktop unit and I didn't want to spent a kings ransom, I was thinking the e17 had more power so I should wait...sorry if I was unclear, I know the DAC is the same I was just thinking it still might be a more versatile/better sounding option than the older e7.

Mar 27, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #2,315 of 6,777

Quote:
I want to use it both portably and as a desktop unit and I didn't want to spent a kings ransom, I was thinking the e17 had more power so I should wait...sorry if I was unclear, I know the DAC is the same I was just thinking it still might be a more versatile/better sounding option than the older e7.

i have heard both people say E17 and E11 have enough power for 250 ohm beyer and have heard the opposite, and remember, listening volume is different for everyone.

If anyone has the Ultrasone Pro 900 and 250 ohm beyers then you can help.. or Disco. you can look through thtis thread and PM the one's that do.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #2,317 of 6,777
Guys stupid questions but

1. can I use the E17 as a DAC only? I wanna plug the E17 into my MacBook via optical cable and bypass the internal sound card this way while using the Headstage Arrow 4G as the Amp. Also want to avoid double amping.

2. Does optical cable bypass the MacBook's sound card as well or does this function only work with USB?

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #2,318 of 6,777
I'm sorry, I understand that the E7 and E17 have the same DAC chip, but it has been said in here, and in other reviews, before that the DAC section on the E17 sounds far better than the DAC on the E7 because of an improved circuit design. There are tons of products with the same DAC chip, but saying that the the analog sound that comes from the digital to analog conversion with all of those products is the same is ridiculous. There are plenty of DAPs that use the same Wolfson DAC chip, but they sound significantly different.

Saying that you will get the same quality sound from the E7 and E17 when using either of them as a standalone DAC is misinforming people.

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2,319 of 6,777

Quote:

1. can I use the E17 as a DAC only? I wanna plug the E17 into my MacBook via optical cable and bypass the internal sound card this way while using the Headstage Arrow 4G as the Amp. Also want to avoid double amping.

2. Does optical cable bypass the MacBook's sound card as well or does this function only work with USB?

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Yes, you can do that. But you will need to buy an adapter, the L7, to plug into the bottom of the E17 that allows it to act as a standalone DAC

Mar 27, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,320 of 6,777

Quote:

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

1: yes. Grumble fish answered it well. You just need the FiiO L7 to bypass the E17's internal amp and just use it as DAC

2:Optical on Macbook through the 3.5mm audio jack also bypasses the Macbook's audio chip.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I understand that the E7 and E17 have the same DAC chip, but it has been said in here, and in other reviews, before that the DAC section on the E17 sounds far better than the DAC on the E7 because of an improved circuit design. There are tons of products with the same DAC chip, but saying that the the analog sound that comes from the digital to analog conversion with all of those products is the same is ridiculous. There are plenty of DAPs that use the same Wolfson DAC chip, but they sound significantly different.

Saying that you will get the same quality sound from the E7 and E17 when using either of them as a standalone DAC is misinforming people.

That is true to an extent but really. To what extent? Could it be placebo? The world may never know.

their are plenty of DAP's that use the same wolfson chip....but do they all use the same amp?

Everybody has their own audio beliefs, this is mine.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #2,321 of 6,777
I'll still new to this, but after receiving the Miles Davis from Monster and pairing it with E17.  I'd have to the soundstage got 3x bigger and the instrument separation is just so much clearer.  It is making my music feel alive.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2,322 of 6,777

1.  Yes, just get a L7 cable.  I'm doing that now with Audioengine A2 speakers.
2.  Yes, it bypasses it.  Although I can't really tell a huge difference, optical allows you to select high gain (+12db), while USB limits it to low gain (+6db)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AykDaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #2,323 of 6,777

Quote:

You don't have to be sorry. I agree with you. That was my main concern for the E17 (it's dac compared to E7's dac) and gave ClieOS a msg, which he told me to expect more details and something else improving.

Then recently I acquired a Keces dac and wow, good components and circuit design does make a difference, big big difference...

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2,324 of 6,777
i'm sure this has been answered many times, but how is the E17 vs E7 JUST for the DAC portion?  I'm also guessing that the Wolfson DAC in either of these beats my Wolfson wm8994 that's in my Nexus S phone, right?  

I know it's significantly better in the amp section (E17 > E7).

I'm also guessing that E7+E9 is better than E17 (maybe by a little bit?)

thanks

Looks like mp4nation would have shipped today had I not cancelled a few weeks back.  My little dot mk3 is still not here...and feeling a little antsy now.  -_-

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #2,325 of 6,777
I asked for you already :)

Quote:
Same DAC chip, but everything else is different, down to the implementation. You can expect E17 DAC section to sound more refined and detailed over that of E7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back