FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Mar 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #2,236 of 6,777

Quote:
try that..but..idk, maybe try different computers and if it still happens see if you can get a RMA ..hopefully you bought it from micca.

That's not going to happen. I'm listening to music now with no problems. So, I'll just say it's my notebook and not the E17.

I wanted to state that while listening to music, it's like hearing my collection all over again. I thought I had a pretty good main system but I'm hearing instruments like I've never heard before. A good way to describe it, is like being closer to the music. Isn't that what we're all trying to achieve? 
cool.gif

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #2,238 of 6,777
Using the E17 with HD650 in the office now. Loving it.

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #2,240 of 6,777
@sounddreamers reaction: take away my e17 for a few weeks? NOOO MINE!

^wow a schiit and e17. Are u using e17 as dedicated dac through line out to the schiit? How is it that way

^the e9 and e17 is a general question so i should say that the use of the e9 is to drive headphones. If u have enough power, then u dont need it(yet unless u get hard to drive cans)

@parallel haha yeah theres never too much bass. Gonna reveive my fun cans the xb500 today. Gonna hook up my e17 to computer through optical at 192KHz not that it matters as my only track that goes up that high isnt bassy and i doubt i can hear a diff but hey PRETTY NUMBERS. And gonna rock some bass with some serious eq on my e17 :) of course im not gonna go hard yet , will do an 30hr burn in before i start pushing some muddy, boomy delicious wub wub wub. Im on my phone, sorry for my terrible way if spelling and grammar that i can see you dont like.

Mar 23, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #2,241 of 6,777
i can't really read all the pages in this thread so sorry if this question was already discussed many times.. :| A remember reading ClieOS saying that on usb in, max gain is 6db.. but I can use the 12db when connected to my laptop as a DAC.. Can anyone clarify that? Thank you very much.

And anothet one.. Is 0 gain sounds better than 12db gain with the same volume?? I dunno really of it's psychological but 6db sounds the best for me.. Is there really a difference on SQ or that gain should only be used if you really need more volume?

Mar 23, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #2,242 of 6,777

Quote:
i can't really read all the pages in this thread so sorry if this question was already discussed many times.. :| A remember reading ClieOS saying that on usb in, max gain is 6db.. but I can use the 12db when connected to my laptop as a DAC.. Can anyone clarify that? Thank you very much.
And anothet one.. Is 0 gain sounds better than 12db gain with the same volume?? I dunno really of it's psychological but 6db sounds the best for me.. Is there really a difference on SQ or that gain should only be used if you really need more volume?

Lower gain should be theoretically better, since more gain means worsen SNR.

Anyway, you are no supposed to be able to use 12dB gain on USB-in because it might be too much for the amp and could clip the signal. If you turn the amp on in USB mode, you will find the 12dB gain disabled. But I find a way to trick the system - If you select AUX-in and set the gain at 12dB, then switch to USB-in, the amp seems to 'forget' about the 12dB restriction.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #2,243 of 6,777

Quote:
Lower gain should be theoretically better, since more gain means worsen SNR.

Anyway, you are no supposed to be able to use 12dB gain on USB-in because it might be too much for the amp and could clip the signal. If you turn the amp on in USB mode, you will find the 12dB gain disabled. But I find a way to trick the system - If you select AUX-in and set the gain at 12dB, then switch to USB-in, the amp seems to 'forget' about the 12dB restriction.

How long did you played with your e17 to get into GODMODE?

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #2,245 of 6,777
Depends are you on a tight budget. Amp suggestions for the HD650 goes limitless

Quote:
You can use amp other than E9, by adding L7.
E9 is not the only option.

I think HD650 need a more powerful amp.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #2,246 of 6,777

Quote:
How long did you played with your e17 to get into GODMODE?

To enable GODMODE, press these keys within 3 seconds: "Power + V+ + V+ + Menu + V- + Input + V- + Input V- + V+ + Hold + Menu + Menu + Hold + Input + Power + All buttons"

wink_face.gif

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #2,249 of 6,777

Quote:
Hi ClieOS and fellow Head-fiers :)

in your opinion, do you think E17 kills the Digizoid ZO2 because of its EQ features for both Bass and Treble?

I'll say ZO2.3's bass sounds a little bit more fun for me. E17's bass boost has more control but also lose some of the fun factor. Of course ZO2.3 doesn't has any treble EQ to play with. Overall, I'll say E17, with EQ included and all, is better than ZO2.3.

Mar 24, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #2,250 of 6,777
Hi everyone.
With a budget of max 200€ I'm looking for a simple solution to be able to listen to all my audio sources with my AKG K240 MKII (55Ohm).
I have all my cds ripped in flac format and I'd like play them with my Samsung N510 netbook (or even my old Asus eeePC 900) with foobar/WinAMp with the right plugins from an USB drive. I also have an iPad1 with Capriccio installed to play flac. With these devices I'd like to play mp3s also.
I also have an old Sanyo Plus Q25 turntable (waiting for a new needle) for my little vinyl collection with a classic L/R output.
Lately I've made some experiments with my Playstation2 digital/optical output into a Creative Extigy USB Soundblaster for cd playback; I have to say that I like the console more than my old crappy portable for cd playback.
I created a thread about this and a user suggested my the combination on Fiio D3+D5+E11+L cable for the iPad, but I discovered the E17 that looks like having everything I need all in one; another option could be the TubeMagic D1 by Maverick Audio, but it seems beyond my budget.
Can anyone make a comparison? In few words, I need something like USB(dac)/turntable/optical/iPad --> DAC/AMP --> K240.
I listen to almost every genre of music, from post-bop to swedish death metal :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back