FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 27, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #1,936 of 6,777

Quote:
Aight I see whats going on here :D 
I DO appreciate all and any input you guys have in my questions, really, I do.
yes, correct, the issue we are dealing with is crackling all over the place when S/PDIF jack is set to default and device set to output OPT via 24 or 16 bit and 192 000 Hz.
USB connection works like charm, sound is great, no questions asked there. 

Ah hah! So does the optical work with lower resolution and no crackling? or do you get crackling via optical no matter what, but it's just a lot worse at higher Hz?

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,937 of 6,777

you're reading it! holy smell.
yea dats the prob. it works perfect @ 92 k hz. Still ... perfect defined by no crackling but sound is worse than usb i think.
Quote:
Ah hah! So does the optical work with lower resolution and no crackling? or do you get crackling via optical no matter what, but it's just a lot worse at higher Hz?

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,938 of 6,777

Quote:
you're reading it! holy smell.
yea dats the prob. it works perfect @ 92 k hz. Still ... perfect defined by no crackling but sound is worse than usb i think.

Okay. Then to isolate where the problem lies, the next step would be to compare with another laptop or optical out source. If USB on another laptop sounds about the same as the optical, then your Alienware sounds like it may have something wrong with the optical out (may be just your laptop, may be all of them, I'd look online for reviews that mention the optical out.)

If the USB sounds better than optical on other laptops (the more different laptops you can try the better) then there MIGHT be something wrong with the SPDIF input on your E17. I would see that as a last resort, but if USB sounds better on several different laptops, then that might be the case. The main reason I would doubt this is that the E17 uses the same DAC to decode the digital from either input. This is why USB and optical SHOULD sound much the same. (Laptops really don't generate a high enough quality source to hear the difference between 96k and 192k, like bowie said.)

EDIT: especially since if I remember correctly, USB can only carry 48k?

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,940 of 6,777
Im thinking about waiting for the E17.... Or just stretch my budget and get the Matrix Mstage with the USB input.... does anyone have an mstage and can compare the E17?  Is it worth the extra $$?

Thanks

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,941 of 6,777

Quote:
especially since if I remember correctly, USB can only carry 48k?

USB Audio Class 2 allows for 24/192 output but requires proprietary drivers while USB Audio Class 1 allows for driverless 24/96, which is what E17 supports.

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,944 of 6,777

I actually love them both, but they are very different..... The ultrasone has more bass and a lot more impact, but the soundstage on the K701 is so impressive, and also sound really detailed... I would say the Ultrasones are more fun, but the AKG is a lot more balanced while i think still have enough bass to be satisfying, and laid back enough where i can enjoy for hours without much fatigue.. the Ultrasone hits you hard but can get tiring quickly... I am using these with my Onkyo AV Amp SR606 for now until i get a proper amp/dac

Quote:
@nsx280ps I'm curious - how do your K701s compare to your Ultrasones?

Feb 27, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #1,945 of 6,777
The E17 is my first DAC, and the far I have to say it has come in handy and I love it. 

Quick question... when plugged in via USB and playing files - I thought you would be controlling the audio via the E17 only and bypassing the amp on the computer completely. Is it normal for me to be able to adjust the volume on the machine as well as the E17? Hope that makes sense. 

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,946 of 6,777

Quote:
I actually love them both, but they are very different..... The ultrasone has more bass and a lot more impact, but the soundstage on the K701 is so impressive, and also sound really detailed... I would say the Ultrasones are more fun, but the AKG is a lot more balanced while i think still have enough bass to be satisfying, and laid back enough where i can enjoy for hours without much fatigue.. the Ultrasone hits you hard but can get tiring quickly... I am using these with my Onkyo AV Amp SR606 for now until i get a proper amp/dac

From the descriptions of the Ultrasones I've read, that was about what I'd expected having heard K702s. But, I like to hear the opinions of those that actually have both to compare. I was thinking of maybe getting Ultrasones for gaming, but my K702s are actually starting to 'fill out' a bit as far as lower range. So Meh! (Maybe I can get a mic that can clip onto my 702s and EQ the bass a bit, then they can be a gaming set... :)

Thanx for the info.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,947 of 6,777

Quote:
The E17 is my first DAC, and the far I have to say it has come in handy and I love it. 

Quick question... when plugged in via USB and playing files - I thought you would be controlling the audio via the E17 only and bypassing the amp on the computer completely. Is it normal for me to be able to adjust the volume on the machine as well as the E17? Hope that makes sense. 

Yes, that's normal. Increasing or decreasing the volume will change the digital data, and the E17 DAC will read that as volume. I've heard that it's best to keep the volume on the laptop full and use the E17's volume control, but as I understand it that's so you get the best data 'signal.'

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #1,948 of 6,777

Quote:

Thanks for teh answer, it makes me feel a lot better and keep the upgradeitis bug at bay. i have the bassier HFI 580's, i got it on purpose. in audio, higher number in same series doesn't always mean better :wink:

Quote:

Yes it is normal, iTunes and programs and things that change volume that way don't use your computer's amp.

Feb 27, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #1,949 of 6,777
How is your K702 while driven by the E17?  Do you think there is plenty of power to spare or just adequate?

Quote:
From the descriptions of the Ultrasones I've read, that was about what I'd expected having heard K702s. But, I like to hear the opinions of those that actually have both to compare. I was thinking of maybe getting Ultrasones for gaming, but my K702s are actually starting to 'fill out' a bit as far as lower range. So Meh! (Maybe I can get a mic that can clip onto my 702s and EQ the bass a bit, then they can be a gaming set... :)

Thanx for the info.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #1,950 of 6,777

Quote:
How is your K702 while driven by the E17?  Do you think there is plenty of power to spare or just adequate?

Plenty of power. If I put the E17 on 12db gain they lose a bit of separation - 6db makes them sound excellent. (0db makes them sound a bit weak.) As my K702s burn in, (got them Saturday morning) they seem to fill out a bit. I'm currently watching the Star Wars blu-rays, and the bass is full... explostions boom, the Imperial March sounds fabulous, with lows and highs sounding against each other just as intended. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back