FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 25, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,846 of 6,777
For anyone wondering. The one's from monoprice COME OFF PRETTY EASY. not gravity can take it off. but it doesn't take much. i have to hold it and teh cable when inserting and removing. the one that came with the micca cable is solid.

this is the monoprice one ^

this is micca store one^

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #1,847 of 6,777
First off, congrats to the new batch of E17 owners...  I hope everyone ends up getting what they hoped for!

Quote:
That's not exactly what I'm wondering. I just want to be able to adjust the E17's existing volume controls without having to take it apart and solder extra leads on the volume up and volume down buttons. Is there some way to control it through the dock like an iPod or is just connector just for line-level audio I/O?

I haven't come across any pinouts for the dock connector of the E17 (and E7). My assumption based on the way they work docked to the E9 is that volume control from the dock connector isn't likely. To my knowledge the dock connector contains a line out and a duplication of the USB port connections. I haven't come across anything that would indicate volume control is possible, but hopefully Feiao can respond to this one. My guess is you'll have to either solder wires to the switches in the E17 (voiding the warranty) or drill holes in the hard case to provide access to the E17 buttons.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,848 of 6,777

Quote:
Yeah it's pretty tight fitting with the one that comes from Micca, but for those of you who ordered elsewhere you might have trouble. My Belkin optical cable is loose enough gravity can pull the mini TOSLINK off.

Now that would be a pain. Yep, I think I'd get a mini to mini cable if the one Micca had sent was like that.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,849 of 6,777

Quote:
Now that would be a pain. Yep, I think I'd get a mini to mini cable if the one Micca had sent was like that.

Monoprice does ship mini - mini TOSLink cables - see the bottom of this page:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

You can also get them from Startech.com - here's the links:

10 ft Thin Miniplug Digital Audio Cable

6 ft Thin Miniplug Digital Audio Cable

3 ft Thin Miniplug Digital Audio Cable

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #1,850 of 6,777
Feb 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,851 of 6,777
Since this is a dac and amp, is it all you would need to connect a laptop to your headphones? For example, I currently have an external usb sound card for my laptop. When I get the E17, would I skip the sound card or use it? So like laptop > e17 > headphones OR laptop > sound card > e17 > headphone? Are there any other additional components I'm forgetting about? Also any random advice about how to get the best quality out of your laptop sound would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #1,852 of 6,777

Quote:
Since this is a dac and amp, is it all you would need to connect a laptop to your headphones? For example, I currently have an external usb sound card for my laptop. When I get the E17, would I skip the sound card or use it? So like laptop > e17 > headphones OR laptop > sound card > e17 > headphone? Are there any other additional components I'm forgetting about? Also any random advice about how to get the best quality out of your laptop sound would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Headphones are the centerpiece to any great sound. With the E17, you can go USB out from your laptop into the E17 and then to headphones. If optical out is more convenient, you can do that as well. So laptop <Digital out via USB or optical into the E17> headphones. The biggest improvement I got to my laptop sound was a $260.00 set of K702 headphones. Worth every penny!

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,853 of 6,777
Quote:

That's correct. You can use the E17 as either a DAC and an amp or just as an amp.

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,854 of 6,777
So. My E17 was just delivered today (even though tracking says it was yesterday 3:22 p.m.), I guess I just "love" usps... what a terrible company.
Anyway, thanks to them for at least delivering this magnificent thing.
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, here is shortly what i think of this amp/dac:
I will be using this with my laptop, as I am now, so E17 gave HD600s more detail and increased sound stage, if you choose to EQ bass and treble, (I found that setting them to 10 and 4 respectively suits my taste) you will be satisfied.
I think main con of HD600s is that they have 0 bass. E17 definitely helps them improve on this front, the cans even start jumping a bit, which is nice! BUT I must say the bass is never overwhelming, since these are HD600s, more like it adds to general sound signature. I still think HD600s would fit classic music, maybe jazz, but elsewise if you're looking for a pair of cans, don't go this way.

P.S. The T-shirt that came with it is also lovely :p

All described ^ is IMO

Forgot to add: the device which has been delivered from Miccastore is from 1st batch (i remember Feao say something about the fact that 2nd batch is supposed to carry name "Alpen" and this one hasn't anywhere)

actually, I'm kidna curious, what else is the difference b/ween 1st and 2nd batches?

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,855 of 6,777

Quote:

in case RoadKam's responce wasn't clear enough. just go laptop,E17 and then headphones. be sure to use USB  and not use your laptops 3.5mm headphone out into the E17..that's a no no. if your laptop has optical which i doubt it does you can use that too. optical on E17 supports up to 192/24..not that it matters too much for newbies(your own computers hardware and sofware has to support 192/24 over SPDIF SPECIFICALLY first. Mac OSX limits optical to 96KHz. Windows supports whatever you want however my desktop motherboards SPDIF out only supports up to 96KHz)

like RoadKam also said. the best improvement in sound would be a new headphone :D

to get best quality on a windows laptop. just plug the E17 in. it wil instal. give it a minute. open up sound menu and be sure to set it as default device

like this picture. then see that properties button in the bottom right? click it. go to advanced. and set it to this setting

this will be best optimization for E17 :D diff of 44.1 and whatever is debatable and depends on person to person. but just set it to this for best performance. 

also be sure to use CD ripped lossless tracks in .wav .aiff or preferable .m4a (ALAC, don't be confused. AAC also uses this ending as they both use MPEG 4 audio container) and .flac as it is compressed and let her rip :D 

oh and another piece of advice. when you set E17 as default windows should set volume to 100%. im not sure if this is everytime. never lower or use volume settings on comptuer. so don't raise or lower the volume. and don't use application control. so if VLC or itunes is at 100%..leave it. don't touch it. use E17 as volume control. again. most won't hear anything if they do, but technically this is bad and or not recomended as you now are using your computer to do this and that..blah

Quote:
So. My E17 was just delivered today (even though tracking says it was yesterday 3:22 p.m.), I guess I just "love" usps... what a terrible company.
Anyway, thanks to them for at least delivering this magnificent thing.
I own a pair of Sennheiser HD600s, here is shortly what i think of this amp/dac:
I will be using this with my laptop, as I am now, so E17 gave HD600s more detail and increased sound stage, if you choose to EQ bass and treble, (I found that setting them to 10 and 4 respectively suits my taste) you will be satisfied.
I think main con of HD600s is that they have 0 bass. E17 definitely helps them improve on this front, the cans even start jumping a bit, which is nice! BUT I must say the bass is never overwhelming, since these are HD600s, more like it adds to general sound signature. I still think HD600s would fit classic music, maybe jazz, but elsewise if you're looking for a pair of cans, don't go this way.

P.S. The T-shirt that came with it is also lovely :p

All described ^ is IMO

Forgot to add: the device which has been delivered from Miccastore is from 1st batch (i remember Feao say something about the fact that 2nd batch is supposed to carry name "Alpen" and this one hasn't anywhere)

so you like it right? ppl forget to add that in a lot. Were you the one that had his E17 cancleded many times and raged a few times? if so do you think this is a keeper for you? are you getting an E9?

i love the T-Shirt too. not for the design but for audiophile pride :D the FiiO on the shirt is awesome. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #1,856 of 6,777
Unfortunately, my t-shirt died after arrival. When I received my package, I tried ripping it open but had a hard time. So, what did I do? I took a pair of scissors and shook the package from one side so that everything would slide down into the package. I then snipped a small incision, enough that I could get my finger inside for strength to pull it apart. Upon removing all the items, I noticed that the t-shirt was cut exactly quarter of an inch. Doh!

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #1,858 of 6,777
After having used mine for a couple days I have to say over all I happy with it.  I can't say it improved anything, since it's hooked up to my desktop computer and I normally used my MP3 player if I wanted to listen to music while on the computer.  The only minor problem I'm having is that randomly a song will "skip."  I'll then play that part of the song over and it will be OK.  I have the E17 hooked up through USB and I'm listening to MP3s that I ripped from CDs or bought from Amazon using the Rhapsody program.  Is this more likely to be the E17 or a hiccup with the computer?

Feb 26, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,859 of 6,777

Quote:
Unfortunately, my t-shirt died after arrival. When I received my package, I tried ripping it open but had a hard time. So, what did I do? I took a pair of scissors and shook the package from one side so that everything would slide down into the package. I then snipped a small incision, enough that I could get my finger inside for strength to pull it apart. Upon removing all the items, I noticed that the t-shirt was cut exactly quarter of an inch. Doh!

I gave my shirt to my wife.  It was tagged XL, but sure wasn't a man's XL.

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #1,860 of 6,777
Since I 've dealt with cloths from China before (for domestic consumption), this is... something you may call "Chinese XL". People there are much different in sizes to us/europeans.
Normally I wear "M" size, this XL T-shirt I received fits me just well.
Quote:
I gave my shirt to my wife.  It was tagged XL, but sure wasn't a man's XL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back