FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 23, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,681 of 6,777
@zankesThe e17 and really any to most external amp would work with a two way male 3.5mm cable. The e17 includes so no. However an lod is highly recommended. Due to its cheap price and audio signal improvement

@sonic defenderWhen used as an amp with ipods only the amps in the e17 r in use. Ur ipods dac will do all the heavy digital to analog lifting. If u JUST need an amo the e11 will fit u as an e17 amp equivalent. The e17 is for those that want the computeruse dac and mutilpe input capability. the e17 can be used with ipad through camera connection kit AND powered usb hun thanks to agent xxl for this info and testing

@roadkam
Thanks for the info man.! I love reading stories like urs!! I hope u enjoy it and haha site spamming. Micca probably thought it was an ddos. Wait no.. Its a couple thousand head fiers spamming the site maaking sure they grt one! Prepare defenses.
When i went on at 8 the site still felt laggy and slow loading than usual so some poor souls must still have been trying

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #1,682 of 6,777
Really wish micca would add different shipping options rather than just what is available via the carrier. If the tracking info is correct, (which I know it sometimes isn't, as USPS is terrible with tracking) in the past 2 1/2 days my shipment has moved a grand total of 16 miles. UPS ground from their shipping location to my home is 1 day.

It may be up to date and accurate, however. When I ordered my E11, it was ordered Monday early AM and delivered to my home Friday afternoon. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #1,683 of 6,777

Quote:
Really wish micca would add different shipping options rather than just what is available via the carrier. If the tracking info is correct, (which I know it sometimes isn't, as USPS is terrible with tracking) in the past 2 1/2 days my shipment has moved a grand total of 16 miles. UPS ground from their shipping location to my home is 1 day.

It may be up to date and accurate, however. When I ordered my E11, it was ordered Monday early AM and delivered to my home Friday afternoon. 
rolleyes.gif

At least your order is shipped... Complaining about a 1-2 day difference is pretty petty imo.

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #1,684 of 6,777

Quote:
@sonic defenderWhen used as an amp with ipods only the amps in the e17 r in use. Ur ipods dac will do all the heavy digital to analog lifting. If u JUST need an amo the e11 will fit u as an e17 amp equivalent. The e17 is for those that want the computeruse dac and mutilpe input capability. the e17 can be used with ipad through camera connection kit AND powered usb hun thanks to agent xxl for this info and testing

So this means if I plug the E17 into the audio out (red and white) of my TV there will be no DAC in use? Only over USB??

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #1,685 of 6,777

Quote:
At least your order is shipped... Complaining about a 1-2 day difference is pretty petty imo.

I apologize if I have offended you. I see that as an area of personal growth for me. 
rolleyes.gif

There is a difference between "complaining" and making a statement. Next time don't read between the lines and try to think about the fact that when you seen information that is typewritten versus spoken verbally, you can't always fully understand the context or tone in which its being written. I could just as easily assume the context of your post and state its pretty petty to make a post "complaining" about someone "complaining." Guess thats why it's "your opinion." Food for thought. 
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #1,686 of 6,777
@l00l
going from your tvs audio rca outputs into a 3.5cable and then into the e17 using AUX input mode will only use thr amp and not DAC. If ur TV or receiver has coaxil or optical out it should work with the e17s dac. Usb with those devices is a bit more tricky

My e17 shipped later than a nother user that ordered on micca after me. Dont worry guys. It will ship and arrive :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #1,687 of 6,777
Has anyone tried the E17 with HifiMan HE-500s?  I intended to use the E17 with HE-400s, but then my HE-400s had a right channel malfunction, and I opted for HifiMan's generous HE-500 upgrade.  I understand the HE-500s require a little more power than the HE-400s, so I'm wondering if I should cancel my pre-order for the E17 and look for something else.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #1,688 of 6,777
Interesting review by Guttenberg.  He didn't really think the E17 had enough to properly drive 300 ohm cans, which makes me wonder how they'll pair with the dt880 250 ohms. 

Now I've got to decide if I want to get this to pair with an E9 or just look at a simpler/less portable option.

Feb 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,689 of 6,777
Thanks for the clarification bowei006. I am about to order the E11, but waiting to see how my repair of a shorted iPod headphone jack goes first. Man I hate waiting, but if I order the E11 I have no source. Delayed gratification sucks, my ID is very persuasive.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,690 of 6,777

Quote:
@l00l
going from your tvs audio rca outputs into a 3.5cable and then into the e17 using AUX input mode will only use thr amp and not DAC. If ur TV or receiver has coaxil or optical out it should work with the e17s dac. Usb with those devices is a bit more tricky

My e17 shipped later than a nother user that ordered on micca after me. Dont worry guys. It will ship and arrive :)

TV has no gital outputs, but Blu Ray player has (coaxial) as well as Xbox and cable box (optical).
What difference will it make in sound quality if DAC is usable or not?

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #1,691 of 6,777
Report again, about the battery life

According to foobar2000, I have played since the first complete charging (using my samsung mobile charger) for 50hours. There are still 3/5 power left!

My setting is E17(usb charging off & lo-bypass)+E9+HD600

I expect in the end it can last for at least 100 hours.
So, there is indeed no reason to turn the usb charging on if you are pairing the E17 with E9.

Hope this is helpful.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #1,692 of 6,777
TV has no gital outputs, but Blu Ray player has (coaxial) as well as Xbox and cable box (optical).
What difference will it make in sound quality if DAC is usable or not?

Im not sure coaxil and optical guaranttees that u r getting a straight digital source as i am more into conputers but ur blu ray player, xbox and cable boxs coaxil out and optical should be pure pc m. Using the wolfson will not give u immensley better sound. It really depends on how much of an audiophile u r. If u r using headphones the seperation, depth of many things will be improved but the wolfson is generally not used for that stuff. The cable box... Garbage in grbage out. Same with xbox. But blu ray. That should give u a nice boost with wolfson

Really it all comes down to , if u want that increase in sound for those sources and how incremental u want it. Every person is differet

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #1,693 of 6,777
Thanks for the clarification bowei006. I am about to order the E11, but waiting to see how my repair of a shorted iPod headphone jack goes first. Man I hate waiting, but if I order the E11 I have no source. Delayed gratification sucks, my ID is very persuasive.

Like i have said before. I recommend an lod. An lod is used by .. Really all audiophiles that have an ipod( theres others but i would confuse u so much and im on mobile) the lod, is cheap by fiio and the l3,l9 or l10 is recommended. Not l1. The lods bypass ur ipods internal headphone amp and headphone jack circuitry so it doesnt matter if urs is damaged. It plugs into the dock connector and sends a clear signal free of most hiss, noise, distortion caused by dual amping to ur external amp. They are highly recomended. Audio signal improvement is significatn and the reason why i use the word highly recommended is price. The lods by fiio are generally $10.

Get one with the e11. But remeber, i dont know anything about ur headphones or anything. All i know is that u just need an amp. Made a personal descision on e17 but now knows its probably not for u. Tge amps arent for everyone. Ppl with "lesser" priced geberally dont need one. There are exepyions depending on ur ear

Sorry guys i cant dual quote . Im on mobile an its just hard to do stuff

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,694 of 6,777
I was surprised at how well the E17 drives my HD650.. definitely not to their potential but surprisingly well even with Gain at 0. Not sure about the DT880/250 but if the amping requirements are similar, it should be OK.

Quote:
Interesting review by Guttenberg.  He didn't really think the E17 had enough to properly drive 300 ohm cans, which makes me wonder how they'll pair with the dt880 250 ohms. 

Now I've got to decide if I want to get this to pair with an E9 or just look at a simpler/less portable option.

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,695 of 6,777

Quote:
I was surprised at how well the E17 drives my HD650.. definitely not to their potential but surprisingly well even with Gain at 0. Not sure about the DT880/250 but if the amping requirements are similar, it should be OK.

Yep.  I'm thinking the will drive them acceptably.  The question is whether or not I can get better performance out of my 880s at a similar or slightly higher price-point.  I've also been looking at the HUD-MX1 quite seriously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back