FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #1,531 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:
are you finding your E9/E17 lacking??!  (as far as driveability) and for which headphone?   that makes me seriously reconsider getting just the E17 (which will have to suffice for a long while)...forego the portability....and just get a tube amp like the little dot..................... btw i have the dt880 250ohm

No absolutely not, i love this combination but i've always wanted to try a tube amp. Another reason is i have the dt990 600 and k702. While they both sound magnificent with the e9/e17 combo, the dt990 can be a bit harsh sometimes so i wanna try throwing in a tube amp to see how that would turn out.

sent you a pm.  don't want to keep bugging everyone else with questions that just seem to not be getting answered :p  i think you'll have the insight i'm looking for!  

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #1,532 of 6,777

Quote:
sent you a pm.  don't want to keep bugging everyone else with questions that just seem to not be getting answered :p  i think you'll have the insight i'm looking for!  

I'm not sure what question(s) you aren't getting answered, but I gather you want to know if the E17 will be suitable on its own to drive your DT880 250 ohm cans? I would say the answer is yes, based on the fact that it adequately powers my DT770 250 ohm cans. That  said, I went with the E9 + E17 bundle to give myself just that much more headroom and a little bit of future-proofing for my next cans, hopefully a set of Sennheiser HD800s.

As for needing the E9, I would say it's not absolutely necessary. I do have to set the E17 to a gain of 12dB and operate at a volume of 35 - 45, depending on the source material. With my Shure SE215 IEMs, I can easily operate at 0dB gain and a volume level of 20 - 30 depending on the source material.

That said, this is purely my opinion and is what I consider acceptable to my ears and my brain. What's adequate for me may not suit you at all. The only way to know for sure is to try the E17 with your headphones and your source material. Only your ears and brain can decide if the solution achieves what you wanted or hoped for. Unfortunately we all like to base our decisions on what others hear or perceive, but in reality it's up to the individual to decide if a certain setup meets their needs.

Hope that helps a little...

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #1,533 of 6,777

Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure what question(s) you aren't getting answered, but I gather you want to know if the E17 will be suitable on its own to drive your DT880 250 ohm cans? I would say the answer is yes, based on the fact that it adequately powers my DT770 250 ohm cans. That  said, I went with the E9 + E17 bundle to give myself just that much more headroom and a little bit of future-proofing for my next cans, hopefully a set of Sennheiser HD800s.

As for needing the E9, I would say it's not absolutely necessary. I do have to set the E17 to a gain of 12dB and operate at a volume of 35 - 45, depending on the source material. With my Shure SE215 IEMs, I can easily operate at 0dB gain and a volume level of 20 - 30 depending on the source material.

That said, this is purely my opinion and is what I consider acceptable to my ears and my brain. What's adequate for me may not suit you at all. The only way to know for sure is to try the E17 with your headphones and your source material. Only your ears and brain can decide if the solution achieves what you wanted or hoped for. Unfortunately we all like to base our decisions on what others hear or perceive, but in reality it's up to the individual to decide if a certain setup meets their needs.

pre-emptive answer and the last sentence could almost be made into a verse in a rhyme....  hehe...thank you.  I did send you msg without seeing this.  That really helps again.  I guess what I'm hoping to hear is that the E17 will significantly DRIVE the 250ohm dt880s..  What fraction of a FULLY adequate desktop powered amp (to your ears) can the E17 achieve?  

or if you haven't heard it with another fully adequate amp, then can you compare the e17 on paper to this one's specs (which I have heard and was pleased).  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-AnmOJygfCpB/p_252HEDBX2B/Pro-Ject-Head-Box-II-Black.html

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #1,534 of 6,777

Quote:

Would be REALLY interested to know if the e9+e17 can drive the HD800s and any top tier headphone to a decent level. 

Feb 20, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #1,535 of 6,777
For any customers looking into that 16th of March date at advancedmp3players (the only UK supplier at the moment) I emailed asking about availability and they told me that they are only expecting, wait for it:

10 units

Unbelievable.

They said more pre-orders than this have been placed already so no chance there. Now I am seriously doubting that my mp4nation pre-order is going to be fulfilled.

Feiao this is ridiculous, I feel like those of us waiting are being strung along. You keep giving these glimmers of hope but so far it's amounted to nothing, and we're all just waiting around cluelessly.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #1,538 of 6,777
This thread went off the rails a lonnng time ago. Speaking of which whatever happened to that bowie guy?? I'm worried for him.

Besides, this is important information.

A lot of people were waiting on the advancedmp3players batch and many may be placing pre-orders that will never be fulfilled, which is poor.

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #1,540 of 6,777
Sucks for you lot to wait for this to come out 
biggrin.gif
, why didn't any of you purchase the first batch that came out? It seems like I've had my E17 forever now. 
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #1,541 of 6,777
Good morning e17 thread.  So, if we're in the US and are considering ordering one of these, would the fastest potential retailer still be mp4nation at this point, or are there better alternatives?

Secondly,  anyone had experience with e17 and orthos, for example the Fostex T50RPs, Hifiman HE-500, or Audeze LCD-2?  

Lastly, would love to hear impressions on the bass/treble controls as compared to EQ'ing in foobar with a PC/FLAC as the source.  Are said controls on the e17 good enough that EQ'ing in foobar isn't as necessary?  Many thanks!

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #1,542 of 6,777
The DAC in the iphone's is the best DAC on the phone market..as in; in all of the mass marketed smartphones on the market.

The iPhone does have a good quality DAC, however, claiming that it is the best in class is simply untrue. Android users on Samsung Galaxy devices, in my opinion, have superior audio to any iDevice when utilizing the Voodoo Sound kernel. Seriously, it's that good.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #1,543 of 6,777
What I'd love to ask FEAIO is if are you guys going to fulfill the demand  for batch #2 sellers like mp4nation have? here's rule of thumb: if you are unable to produce as much as market demands, DO NOT SPECULATE WITH PREORDERS. Don't you have any business people in your company that can tell you how to conduct your activities?
In case you don't, here's a free consultation for you: you should supply the necessary quantity and 10% extra on top of it to avoid any potentially unpredicted situations. Delivering less or not delivering in time at all makes people unhappy. Unhappy people tend to cancel their orders and buy from your competitors.
And since your business is not selling bred, I doubt many of those buyers will need a new portable amp/dac any soon, unless they collect 'em.
Limited quantities notification on preorder? OK, I get it. I placed my order like a month ago, even today you can go to mp4nation and place another one, if quantities are limited, why does this keep happening?
Buy local warnings: internet is a global market, I can buy from whoever I want, your job is to produce and ship it to distributors, not to tell me where I should order from. That should be of my concern, if I am willing to take this path.
Delay to early march: OK, we're all humans, we have our holidays. We all know workers like not to show up sometimes. How long must it take you to solve this problem? Not enough skilled workers in China? I managed to find qualified workforce after holidays even in Russia in 2 days; and people did the job for appropriate money. 
to sum up my "raging post" (which it is not, it is rather an advice for the future to fiio reps) here are the things no one here knows for sure: are you going to delay the 2nd batch again? why do you let your distributors have unlimited preorders for limited quantity? Do you even care about people who ordered long time ago and may still get their order delayed? Do you feel like your company needs some more workers, including business people?

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #1,544 of 6,777

Quote:
Good morning e17 thread.  So, if we're in the US and are considering ordering one of these, would the fastest potential retailer still be mp4nation at this point, or are there better alternatives?

Secondly,  anyone had experience with e17 and orthos, for example the Fostex T50RPs, Hifiman HE-500, or Audeze LCD-2?  

Lastly, would love to hear impressions on the bass/treble controls as compared to EQ'ing in foobar with a PC/FLAC as the source.  Are said controls on the e17 good enough that EQ'ing in foobar isn't as necessary?  Many thanks!

Miccastore for U.S would probably be fastest

Quote:
The iPhone does have a good quality DAC, however, claiming that it is the best in class is simply untrue. Android users on Samsung Galaxy devices, in my opinion, have superior audio to any iDevice when utilizing the Voodoo Sound kernel. Seriously, it's that good.

I have not read much on the Voodoo kernel. i know it's there but it's not mentioned too too much. in terms of true DAC ability however on the standard OS. the iPhone always wins. but like you said. Voodoo. im not going to go into this subject as i have not yet heard Samsung Galaxy device with Voodoo and I wont' take others opinions on it. despite most saying..they are not going to be biased towards Apple...you don't know how many people say that..and then start getting biased towards Apple.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #1,545 of 6,777

Quote:
What I'd love to ask FEAIO is if are you guys going to fulfill the demand  for batch #2 sellers like mp4nation have? here's rule of thumb: if you are unable to produce as much as market demands, DO NOT SPECULATE WITH PREORDERS. Don't you have any business people in your company that can tell you how to conduct your activities?
In case you don't, here's a free consultation for you: you should supply the necessary quantity and 10% extra on top of it to avoid any potentially unpredicted situations. Delivering less or not delivering in time at all makes people unhappy. Unhappy people tend to cancel their orders and buy from your competitors.
And since your business is not selling bred, I doubt many of those buyers will need a new portable amp/dac any soon, unless they collect 'em.
Limited quantities notification on preorder? OK, I get it. I placed my order like a month ago, even today you can go to mp4nation and place another one, if quantities are limited, why does this keep happening?
Buy local warnings: internet is a global market, I can buy from whoever I want, your job is to produce and ship it to distributors, not to tell me where I should order from. That should be of my concern, if I am willing to take this path.
Delay to early march: OK, we're all humans, we have our holidays. We all know workers like not to show up sometimes. How long must it take you to solve this problem? Not enough skilled workers in China? I managed to find qualified workforce after holidays even in Russia in 2 days; and people did the job for appropriate money. 
to sum up my "raging post" (which it is not, it is rather an advice for the future to fiio reps) here are the things no one here knows for sure: are you going to delay the 2nd batch again? why do you let your distributors have unlimited preorders for limited quantity? Do you even care about people who ordered long time ago and may still get their order delayed? Do you feel like your company needs some more workers, including business people?

Very sorry for the situation, but we had never  arranged any pre order because we don't sell to end customer directly. and I will talk with MP4nation about it to make sure

they can inform their customer know how many uint that we can supply to them.so they can stop any pre order when the quantity reach the limited.

Also usually we will produce only 1,000 pcs in first batch and the second batch will be 5,000 pcs. and it take about 45 days from first batch to second batch , but between

them we meet a long holiday for the Chinese New year, so we have to wait till the whole supply chain back to normal.   

Anyway , thanks for your feedback and it can help us learn more about how to run a global business. we will try out best to improve our work in the future.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back