FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Feb 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,051 of 6,777

Quote:
I was not all that impressed with the E7/E9 combo.  Drove the HD600's and HD650's to a loud enough level but the sound was thin and unexciting lacking good dynamics.  My end goal is a Schiit Lyr for my HD650's.
Here are a few comments with the HD650's and FiiO. Source: MacMini, iTunes, Apple Lossless files, No EQ

from my very limited listening so far..
  1. E17 is a definite upgrade to the E10
  2. Neither the E10 or E17 will bring out the potential of the HD650s but if I had to go with one, it would be the E17 - after listening to a few more songs (especially Enigma's Voyageur Club Mix), I'm warming up to it - may not be a bad entry level amp for the HD650's
  3. E17 + HD25 - a fabulous portable solution - on a limited budget, I find this an awesome combo and is my living room combo with my MacBook Air.. except..

Just for giggles, I plugged in my v-Moda M80's (usually run these unamped out of my iPhone4 or iPod 4G) - I have a love/hate relationship with these and the HD25's - they seem to handle dynamics better than the HD25's and I'm not getting the congestion I heard (Stimela opening) - they're a little more open, airy, dynamic and I think the highs are better. Because of their sensitivity, I did not use/like them with the E10.  With the E17 I have a greater rage of volume control so they may end up replacing my HD25's and my favorite portable.

Apologies for the choppy post - I was listening - switching and writing all at the same time. these are just my observations - I do not or never will claim to be a competent reviewer
Hope this helps.. M

Awesome info! I've never owned any other Fiio products, but I have listened to them before. I really haven't played with the HD25s either. I'm on the same page as you when it comes to the E17 and the HD650 - although I'll get my first hand experience on the weekend, I'm pretty sure that the E17 is a really good starter amp for taking the HD650s portable. I'll also be testing with the E9, so the extra power from it will probably have some impact. I suspect the previous comments about the E7 + E9 combo are valid, but the E17 is a pretty decent step forward from the E7. Hopefully using the E17 as a USB DAC and the E9 as the power amplifier, the HD650 (and eventually my HD800 purchase) will be decent. My long term plans will still have me buying a much higher end desktop amp for home listening - as mentioned above, leaning towards the GS-1.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #1,052 of 6,777
I expereince buzz noises quite often. when the sound is off. from nowhere. it's form amp. i can unplug optical cable and what not and it is still there. any physical thing to the device causes it. i can hear it. move the headphone cord a bit and teh sound will change. i can unplug otpical cable. it will disappear. and then come back 2 seconds later. same effect with others. it's kinda annoying with no music playing. tried on both 6db 12db and 0db gain. same. moving volume up and down raises the buzz sound. but as clieos said that is due to the digital volume raiser and is normal.....hmm

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #1,053 of 6,777

Quote:
comparing ohms and what not won't give you accuracy. you can't say the HD800 are just a tad bit harder than a beyer 250 ohm to drive.

I have heard AgentXXL say that for him the E17 just is enough to power his 250 ohm beyer's at 12 gain and 40 volume.

I'm certain the HD800 will be harder to drive than my 250 ohm Beyers. Even the HD650 seems harder to drive than my Beyers. And yes, most of my listening on the E17 with the Beyers is at a gain setting of 12dB and an average volume of 40. Actually I think I was running too loud for the first couple of days and now seem to be closer to 30 for volume. One other note - when docked to the E9, the gain on the E17 automatically reverts to 6dB and you can't increase it to 12dB. You can of course lower it to 0dB. That said, 0dB and 6dB gain settings are more than sufficient with the extra power of the E9.

Warwick108 - as for your plan to buy some DT880s, I agree with the decision to go with the 250 ohm set. They really are fun to listen to and the 250 ohm version definitely seems to have a better soundstage than the 80 ohm version. I haven't heard the 600 ohm 880s, but I have heard some DT990s at 600 ohm. Again, another increase in soundstage, but also a different sonic signature than the DT880. I think you'll be well served by going middle of the road with the 250 ohm set - that's what I did with my DT770s.

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #1,054 of 6,777
Ok just tried these out with my SRH440......these things were bass shy with just a slightly over neutral bass before..i take all that back. the E17 has just made these a bassy headphone :D
BASS EQ at 10...wow.. these things with SRH440! amazing! im afraid to try EQ10+ bass with my earbuds! >_<

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #1,055 of 6,777
I'm a noob too.. Lived with Grado SR-80i & iBasso D10 for a while and decided I really miss my old Senns.  Purchased the HD600's last February (retail box store, mistake) and was not all that impressed after a couple of weeks. Wanted a fuller sound. Found Head-Fi and read everything I could on the HD650's and finally ordered them on eBay without hearing them. Fell in love. Wanted a portable and settled on the HD25. Love them. Read too much about modding and went down that road for a while. Sold the Grado and iBasso and got the E7, later added the E10.. still weak.. did some more research and settled on the Matrix Mini-i.. awesome DAC but needs a better amp.. sold the E9 and used the E7 in my living room while the wife watched endless hours of Say Yes to the Dress and other girly stuff. Got caught up in the v-Moda M80 thread and ordered.. love 'em! E7 was not so satisfying so ordered the E10 when it was released.. better.. same with the E17.. whew!! time to stop..

So, for the beginner, given my limited experience, the E17 is probably one of the best entry level portable dac/amp that I have heard/researched in this price range. Definitely recommended.  Nothing is perfect but in this price range, I don't know if there is anything better (based on my experience and the daily reading I do) Also, not sure of the synergy with other headphones. I love it with the HD25 & v-Moda M-80 and it's quite acceptable for starting with the HD650. YMMV

After all the research, buying and selling, I'm extremely satisfied that the E17 from a price/performance perspective and is a keeper!  It's not the be all and end all but if someone is setting up a budget entry level system, the E17 should be at the top of their list.  Now I need to finish of my office/mi-fi system and add the Lyr to the Matrix & HD650.  Hope this helps.

Quote:
Thank you for the effort for this :D this helped me with how far the E17 will go :D

now to help the newbies out. for a device that is $140-$160 with ti's features and what not. would you recommend this? do you highly like it for this price? conclusion rating out of 10?

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #1,056 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm a noob too.. Lived with Grado SR-80i & iBasso D10 for a while and decided I really miss my old Senns.  Purchased the HD600's last February (retail box store, mistake) and was not all that impressed after a couple of weeks. Wanted a fuller sound. Found Head-Fi and read everything I could on the HD650's and finally ordered them on eBay without hearing them. Fell in love. Wanted a portable and settled on the HD25. Love them. Read too much about modding and went down that road for a while. Sold the Grado and iBasso and got the E7, later added the E10.. still weak.. did some more research and settled on the Matrix Mini-i.. awesome DAC but needs a better amp.. sold the E9 and used the E7 in my living room while the wife watched endless hours of Say Yes to the Dress and other girly stuff. Got caught up in the v-Moda M80 thread and ordered.. love 'em! E7 was not so satisfying so ordered the E10 when it was released.. better.. same with the E17.. whew!! time to stop..

So, for the beginner, given my limited experience, the E17 is probably one of the best entry level portable dac/amp that I have heard/researched in this price range. Definitely recommended.  Nothing is perfect but in this price range, I don't know if there is anything better (based on my experience and the daily reading I do) Also, not sure of the synergy with other headphones. I love it with the HD25 & v-Moda M-80 and it's quite acceptable for starting with the HD650. YMMV

After all the research, buying and selling, I'm extremely satisfied that the E17 from a price/performance perspective and is a keeper!  It's not the be all and end all but if someone is setting up a budget entry level system, the E17 should be at the top of their list.  Now I need to finish of my office/mi-fi system and add the Lyr to the Matrix & HD650.  Hope this helps.

ok now that's more like it. just to help out the people on the wall. we have many that agree that in this range of $140.....no brainer right for teh features. i looked at the little dot mk2 and object 2 amp..but they are amps..i needed a DAC as well.

tahnk you for your impressions and your journey. your journey with fiio seemed negative from what you are saying. was it? or was it negative...but justifiable with the price fiio wanted(sub $100 for those)

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #1,057 of 6,777
Not negative at all. Dropping $100 here and there to experiment was no problem. I was just looking for a particular sound signature.  I have a relatively decent home theatre system with Martin Logan speakers and high end Rotel electronics.  I know the sound signature that works for me.  The journey was kind of fun.  The FiiO E10 and E17 are keepers for their particular use cases. I have my portable system done and just need to finish off my office system.  I really appreciate what I have learned here at Head-Fi and it has pretty much set me in the right direction.. Glad I can give something back.

Quote:

tahnk you for your impressions and your journey. your journey with fiio seemed negative from what you are saying. was it? or was it negative...but justifiable with the price fiio wanted(sub $100 for those)

Feb 1, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #1,058 of 6,777

Quote:
Awesome info! I've never owned any other Fiio products, but I have listened to them before. I really haven't played with the HD25s either. I'm on the same page as you when it comes to the E17 and the HD650 - although I'll get my first hand experience on the weekend, I'm pretty sure that the E17 is a really good starter amp for taking the HD650s portable. I'll also be testing with the E9, so the extra power from it will probably have some impact. I suspect the previous comments about the E7 + E9 combo are valid, but the E17 is a pretty decent step forward from the E7. Hopefully using the E17 as a USB DAC and the E9 as the power amplifier, the HD650 (and eventually my HD800 purchase) will be decent. My long term plans will still have me buying a much higher end desktop amp for home listening - as mentioned above, leaning towards the GS-1.

Am definitely looking forward to hearing your impression of the e17 + e9 with the HD650s. I already have the e9 + e17 and may consider the HD650 if the combo can drive them well.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #1,059 of 6,777

Quote:
I'm not sure that a burn-in applies with the E17. In my personal experience, solid state devices rarely benefit from a burn-in period. Headphones however have moving diaphragms and voice coils that do change their characteristics with use, if ever so slightly. I did say rarely for solid-state devices as I have been able to perceive subtle changes after owning my Pico for three years. Perhaps it's due to the only moving component, the volume potentiometer, perhaps not. Every other solid state device I've experienced seems to sound much the same as it ever did, but the speakers and other moving components have shown changes over time.

As for your question about the HD650, I can't say for sure yet. I'm going to be testing my E17 with a friends pair of HD650s on the weekend. They are definitely tough to drive, with their 300 ohm resistive impedance. My 250 ohm Beyers have always been similarly hard to drive, with my friend and I often hearing similar results using our headphones on the same amps, or DAC/amp in the case of the E17. What volume level are you using on your E17? I too am using a gain setting of 12dB but didn't start really hearing the improved soundstage of the E17 until volume level 35 and above. Bass boost also really made my Beyers sing. I'll let you know next Monday after I've tried the HD650s with my E17.

I am using volume 28 to 33 when it is connected to my iPhone 4s. Volume over 33 is too loud for me.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #1,060 of 6,777

Quote:
Thank you for the effort for this :D this helped me with how far the E17 will go :D

now to help the newbies out. for a device that is $140-$160 with ti's features and what not. would you recommend this? do you highly like it for this price? conclusion rating out of 10?

Would I recommend this:  Yes and No. If you are unsure about just getting an amp, just get the E11 (rock solid). If you must have a DAC and AMP, get the E17.

Do I highly like it for the price?:  Yes. It sounds too good to pass up. My E11 is the only thing I would choose over it.

My rating out of 10: A solid 7 due to quality issues. Would be a 10 if not for the static/garbled audio that randomly happens. I heard a little bit today over optical. First time hearing it with that input.

Thanks to you, now I have put an order in for the HFI-580s. If the bass rocks like you say, then they may be a keeper.

...time for bed.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #1,061 of 6,777

Quote:

Would I recommend this:  Yes and No. If you are unsure about just getting an amp, just get the E11 (rock solid). If you must have a DAC and AMP, get the E17.

Do I highly like it for the price?:  Yes. It sounds too good to pass up. My E11 is the only thing I would choose over it.

My rating out of 10: A solid 7 due to quality issues. Would be a 10 if not for the static/garbled audio that randomly happens. I heard a little bit today over optical. First time hearing it with that input.

Thanks to you, now I have put an order in for the HFI-580s. If the bass rocks like you say, then they may be a keeper.

...time for bed.

I feel the same. Quality is a problem. I dont know whwrre the buzz comes from

U have the athm50s which r very similar. I think the bass might react the same way :/ they r $118 if u want them but be warned this wasnt a buying thread so its not like i know if it will fit u. I and others have reviews on them
Eq bass set to 10 brings out bass in any headphone o belive :)

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,063 of 6,777

Quote:
Has anyone compared this to the Audinst HUD MX1?

I pm a contributor that had the mx1 and e10 a month ago. He said mike was a bit biased in the review of themdue to the e10 being half the price. I say that its due to that reason and the reason mike gave, because he liked the sound of it a bit better to him. It really depends on what u like. Warm mids? Tight bass?

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,064 of 6,777
If i were to connect this to an ipod/walkman via the LOD, do i control the volume via the E17 or the portable player? And should i max out the volume on the player before lining out?

Feb 2, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #1,065 of 6,777
MickeyVee, now that you've compared both the E10 and the E17, and even if the E17 is better, do you think it's worth the upgrade from the E10 (for use only as a desktop dac+amp combo)? For me, I assume it will be at least $100 upgrade cost... 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back