FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #976 of 6,777

Quote:
To all those who have the e17, how well does the Bass boot function work? Im looking to amp my Senn HD 600's with this and get some better bass cause currently, there is hardly any with it unamped

i don't have the Senn HD600's but with my headphones.......oh lalal 
eek.gif
 i wanted the 580's for bass. but there are times when i wanted super consumer bass with not too much loss of everything else. ya know. superbass....oh my. these things. delivered...these things...legit delivered. however. if your headphone drivers can't do bass. then this won't do too to much super difference. i will test with my studio's later. but...fiio bass boost from this and my E5 is great in my opinion

Jan 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #978 of 6,777
Just checked the mail and my E17 arrived a day early.  Unfortunately it's been sitting in the cold most of the day so have it plugged in and charging.  Going to give it an hour or so before I try using it.  Good first sign is that my Mac recognizes it as FIIO USB DAC-E17. Nice surprise, got a t-shirt with it.. 

~~~~~~~

Edit.. OK.. I just had to give it a try while charging.  Did not go through the menus  so I'm assuming it's all at default. Connected it to my v-Moda M80's, put on some Royksopp (The Understanding, Alpha Male) and I like what's coming out of this.  Bass is definitely tighter  and it sounds a little more open than on the E10. Not bad out of the box.  Also, it does not suffer from the famed E10 plug problem.  I have the iPhone cable on the M80's and the connection is perfect. On the E10, I have to switch to the standard, non remote cable.
Just for giggles, I played 'Alpha Male' through my Matrix Mini-i.. a little more open,airy, dynamic and controlled but not as much as you think for 2.5x the price.  Good Job FiiO!  Still need to test it with my HD650's and HD25's.

Going to let it run all night and see what it's like tomorrow. It may open up after some burn in.

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #980 of 6,777

Quote:
i have rarely had any performance issues from rattles....but i want an answer as well. i made an video and will post shortly to show users what i mean

no. the E17 didn't hit the phone. when moving back into place, my handle near the mic moved and created a sound. with it being so close to the mic...that's the sound you get.if i hit the phone..the video would have shaken  a lot..espeically with the shaking i was doing

Bowei006: Yes, that very faint rattle is what I was talking about in your video.  I never shook mine that hard, but I could hear it from just moving it in my hand, etc.  It may be just the design or the components, but I would like an answer from FiiO.  Thanks for posting the video.

FiveThreeEcho

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #982 of 6,777

Quote:
Actually I'm curious if has anyone received their orders from 2nd preorder yet?

A little early for that, but anything is possible. From what I've seen/read, the 2nd batches of the E17 are just leaving the factory this week. They will hopefully be back in stock at the popular North American retailers by next week, with shipments going out to customers by the 2nd week of Feb. Other dealers won't likely have stock until late Feb/early March. Alas this is all pretty much hearsay as the info has come from audio websites across the net. I haven't seen official comments other than one of the South Asian Fiio distributors showing a shipment leaving their facilities yesterday evening:

http://www.facebook.com/fiiophil

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #983 of 6,777
I think the VOL+ and VOL- buttons rattle a bit... no big deal.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #984 of 6,777
Does the E17 has a minimum burn in period? Does it gets better after certain hours?

I used the E17 with HD598 (laptop/iPhone 4s->E17(usb/DAC)->headphone), HD598 sound better especially when I increase the bass to +4, compared to if I listen it directly from my laptop HP Compaq 6910p without E17. Bose MIE2i also sound better with the bass +4 as Bose is always lack of bass (I used MIE2i mainly for taking long call).

bowei006 did mentioned about the E17 might not be able to fully drive the HD650. I think maybe he is right. I don't hear any different with HD650 (laptop/iPhone 4s->E17(usb/DAC)->HD650). I used Gain 12, Bass 0 and Treble 0 on E17. Have anyone try E17 with HD650? My HD650 has more than 300 hours burn in time. Maybe my expection is high for E17 after all the good reviews.
I mainly listen to latest/popular songs (genres pop, dance, pop rock, alternative rock) which are mostly 256kbps and 320kbps.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #985 of 6,777

Quote:
     Yes, I only heard the rattling when moving it vertically not from side to side.  Hopefully we can get a comment, because I am a bit alarmed that something inside is actually rattling around.

Also, I am running Win7 64 on my computer and have had ZERO issues with drivers.

My E17 has the rattling sound too when I shake it. It was coming from the inside. It wasn't the buttons.

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #986 of 6,777
I am deciding weather to buy a E7 or E17, currently the E7 can be bought for around 90 bux and the E17 for around 160
I have a pair of Bose quietcomfort 15..
now my question is it worth the extra money for the E17? as my headphones aint really a pair of audiophile headphones 
let me know what yous think =)

first time poster long time lurker =)

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #988 of 6,777

Quote:
Does the E17 has a minimum burn in period? Does it gets better after certain hours?

bowei006 did mentioned about the E17 might not be able to fully drive the HD650. I think maybe he is right. I don't hear any different with HD650 (laptop/iPhone 4s->E17(usb/DAC)->HD650). I used Gain 12, Bass 0 and Treble 0 on E17. Have anyone try E17 with HD650? My HD650 has more than 300 hours burn in time. Maybe my expection is high for E17 after all the good reviews.
I mainly listen to latest/popular songs (genres pop, dance, pop rock, alternative rock) which are mostly 256kbps and 320kbps.

I'm not sure that a burn-in applies with the E17. In my personal experience, solid state devices rarely benefit from a burn-in period. Headphones however have moving diaphragms and voice coils that do change their characteristics with use, if ever so slightly. I did say rarely for solid-state devices as I have been able to perceive subtle changes after owning my Pico for three years. Perhaps it's due to the only moving component, the volume potentiometer, perhaps not. Every other solid state device I've experienced seems to sound much the same as it ever did, but the speakers and other moving components have shown changes over time.

As for your question about the HD650, I can't say for sure yet. I'm going to be testing my E17 with a friends pair of HD650s on the weekend. They are definitely tough to drive, with their 300 ohm resistive impedance. My 250 ohm Beyers have always been similarly hard to drive, with my friend and I often hearing similar results using our headphones on the same amps, or DAC/amp in the case of the E17. What volume level are you using on your E17? I too am using a gain setting of 12dB but didn't start really hearing the improved soundstage of the E17 until volume level 35 and above. Bass boost also really made my Beyers sing. I'll let you know next Monday after I've tried the HD650s with my E17.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #989 of 6,777

Quote:
I am deciding weather to buy a E7 or E17, currently the E7 can be bought for around 90 bux and the E17 for around 160
I have a pair of Bose quietcomfort 15..
now my question is it worth the extra money for the E17? as my headphones aint really a pair of audiophile headphones 
let me know what yous think =)

first time poster long time lurker =)

Not sure where you are seeing the E17 for $160. That price seems high - I picked up mine for less, including shipping. That said, you might be correct in that the Bose headphones might not benefit from an amp - I really don't know anything about the Bose series of headphones.  They could however utilize the digital audio if you have some 96/24 or higher rate audio. Pretty well every headphone out there can benefit from listening to higher sample rate audio via SPDIF or with a well implemented USB DAC. I personally couldn't buy the older E7, knowing that the E17 exists, although both are very decent products at their price point. The E17 is the 1st Fiio product I've purchased for myself, but I have used the E7 in the past. Best bet would be to see if you can find a dealer or a fellow Head-Fier in your area that might let you try your Bose on their E7 and/or E17.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #990 of 6,777

Quote:
guys really no way to have the E17's dac function work on an ipad? even through a usb hub? thanks

I've never tried the iPad with a powered USB hub connected to the USB adapter of the camera connection kit. Not sure if it would work, but I'll see about giving it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back