FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 21, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #466 of 6,777

Quote:
You are right. The prototype I received earlier has the 12dB gain disable on USB-in (probably because they fear that the output might clip the amp). But it seems FiiO has enable the 12dB gain on USB-in for the retail unit.

It should be okay to connect it permanently to PC. But take note that the battery won't be used and, like all Li-ion battery, it is not healthy for the battery in the long run. If you can, try draining the battery at least once per month so it gets some proper charging cycle. This will prolong the battery life.

Thanks, ClieOS. Would you be able to explain a little bit about how gain works and when it is best used?

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #467 of 6,777

Quote:
Thanks, ClieOS. Would you be able to explain a little bit about how gain works and when it is best used?

Gain is basically the amplification factor for voltage of the signal. Voltage is what controls the volume. Adjusting volume is basically adjusting voltage of the signal. At 0dB gain, the amp doesn't amplify the voltage / volume. So basically you are listening to the same volume as the source if you max out on E17's volume (60/60). This is not to say E17 isn't doing anything - it still output current to the headphone and provides dampening, which (hopefully) will improve the SQ. At 6dB gain, it means the E17 output (at max) will be 6dB higher than the input (and to give you an idea, 3dB is doubling the signal)。 Same principle goes for 12dB gain setting as well.

In general, the lesser the gain the better as amplifying signal always add distortion. The higher the gain, the more distortion there will be. So the basic is, if you have a very high input (say a 2Vrms line-out from a desktop source), then 0dB gain is actually all you will need. For iPod and such, 6dB will do. If you have a particularly weak source or you are not getting enough volume for your hard-to-drive headphone, then use the 12dB setting.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #468 of 6,777
Quote:
Gain is basically the amplification factor for voltage of the signal. Voltage is what controls the volume. Adjusting volume is basically adjusting voltage of the signal. At 0dB gain, the amp doesn't amplify the voltage / volume. So basically you are listening to the same volume as the source if you max out on E17's volume (60/60). This is not to say E17 isn't doing anything - it still output current to the headphone and provides dampening, which (hopefully) will improve the SQ. At 6dB gain, it means the E17 output (at max) will be 6dB higher than the input (and to give you an idea, 3dB is doubling the signal)。 Same principle goes for 12dB gain setting as well.

In general, the lesser the gain the better as amplifying signal always add distortion. The higher the gain, the more distortion there will be. So the basic is, if you have a very high input (say a 2Vrms line-out from a desktop source), then 0dB gain is actually all you will need. For iPod and such, 6dB will do. If you have a particularly weak source or you are not getting enough volume for your hard-to-drive headphone, then use the 12dB setting.

So. Just for check my understanding.
This means on any headphone (yuin pk1, AKG K702, any headphone with any impedance )
if volumn=30@gain=6dB is loud enough then it should always be better than gain=12dB volumn=20(or whatever that is equally loud).

then volumn=60 gain=0  >is better than> volumn= 40 gain=6dB >is better than> volumn=25 gain=12dB
right?

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #469 of 6,777
If I use the E17 using S/PDIF out from my Titanium HD, will I be able to preserve the 3D/EAX positional audio effects?  If I'm just listening to music, will having the sound card connected to the E17's DAC have any adverse effects? 

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #470 of 6,777

Quote:
... if volumn=30@gain=6dB is loud enough then it should always be better than gain=12dB volumn=20(or whatever that is equally loud).

Theoretically, yes.

Quote:
then volumn=60 gain=0  >is better than> volumn= 40 gain=6dB >is better than> volumn=25 gain=12dB
right?

No. For most amps, the optimum zone for performance is usually at the mid of the volume pot. Say the volume goes from 0 to 60, the amp most likely will best behave at 15 to 45. Too low, channels balance becomes an issue (though not a problem for E17 as it has digital volume control). Too high and distortion (and sometime current) becomes an issue. So you should set the amp in a way that you are using half of the max volume at most of the time. If you need to set volume to 60 at 0dB, then it is better to use 40 at 6dB.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #471 of 6,777

Quote:
If I use the E17 using S/PDIF out from my Titanium HD, will I be able to preserve the 3D/EAX positional audio effects?  If I'm just listening to music, will having the sound card connected to the E17's DAC have any adverse effects? 

I think the answer to both of those is one and the same. Using the E17 through USB or SPDI/F will bypass the sound card or any set audio device on ur computer. To preserve 3D/EAX on ur Titanium HD and to use the E17 JUST to amplify the sound. You would need to get a dual way male 3.5mm cable. and use the E17 in AUX mode (so like an E11 or just an amp) 
When listening to music, i will guess the E17 has better DAC, and basically components for music then the Titanium HD. Some if not half of the sound cards i see use their own DAC they made. While the DAC;s they made aren't bad. Audiophile DAC's like the Wolfson are usually prefered by audiophiles and for adio.I don't remember what my Wolfson equiped iPod's sound like, but i have plenty of Cirrus Logic chips all around the house.

so basically. when gaming, if you just need to amplify sound. connect through AUX on the E17. when listening to music just use SPDI/F and use the E17 as your external "sound card" if you don't. now that you know this. Is the E17 still worth it to you? 

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #472 of 6,777

Quote:

Most likely not. Sound effect is usually handled by the sound card processor, which will not be used with E17. If you already have a pretty good sound card, I don't think you will need an external DAC.

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #473 of 6,777
Oh, I was under the impression that the sound card would do all the audio processing for the 3D effects, and the DAC on the E17 would replace the DAC on the sound card. I've been reading around, and it seems some people do this to get the best of both worlds.
Quote:
I think the answer to both of those is one and the same. Using the E17 through USB or SPDI/F will bypass the sound card or any set audio device on ur computer. To preserve 3D/EAX on ur Titanium HD and to use the E17 JUST to amplify the sound. You would need to get a dual way male 3.5mm cable. and use the E17 in AUX mode (so like an E11 or just an amp) 
When listening to music, i will guess the E17 has better DAC, and basically components for music then the Titanium HD. Some if not half of the sound cards i see use their own DAC they made. While the DAC;s they made aren't bad. Audiophile DAC's like the Wolfson are usually prefered by audiophiles and for adio.I don't remember what my Wolfson equiped iPod's sound like, but i have plenty of Cirrus Logic chips all around the house.

so basically. when gaming, if you just need to amplify sound. connect through AUX on the E17. when listening to music just use SPDI/F and use the E17 as your external "sound card" if you don't. now that you know this. Is the E17 still worth it to you? 

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #474 of 6,777
bookmarked :)

Jan 21, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #475 of 6,777
Well if the soundcard+ DAC worked, I could just give my brother my Titanium HD, and take his cheapo x-fi xtreme gamer to use with the DAC. Thereby, I could get the benefits of the cheapo soundcard's DSP and using the E17's superior DAC, as well as the amp since I'm looking around for some high end headphones. These threads seem to suggest that an external dac+ sound card would work. Is the E17 an exception?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/583299/can-sound-card-dsp-be-carried-over-s-pdif
http://www.head-fi.org/t/484672/question-about-using-both-external-dac-and-sound-card
http://www.head-fi.org/t/523171/sound-card-upgrade-or-adding-an-external-dac
Quote:
Most likely not. Sound effect is usually handled by the sound card processor, which will not be used with E17. If you already have a pretty good sound card, I don't think you will need an external DAC.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #476 of 6,777

Quote:
Oh, I was under the impression that the sound card would do all the audio processing for the 3D effects, and the DAC on the E17 would replace the DAC on the sound card. I've been reading around, and it seems some people do this to get the best of both worlds.

hmmm. but then if you plug the E17 in through USB or SPDI/F....it will bypass everything on the soundcard and thus make the soundcard irrelevant :/ 

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #477 of 6,777
Did you happen to read my last post? The people in those threads explain it better than me but, connecting the E17 through USB will bypass the soundcard. But connecting the E17 through S/PDIF from the sound card will take the digital signal with all the DSP effects and carry it on to the DAC effectively bypassing only the sound card's DAC. I just want to be 100% sure this will work on the E17 before I even think about buying it.

Quote:
hmmm. but then if you plug the E17 in through USB or SPDI/F....it will bypass everything on the soundcard and thus make the soundcard irrelevant :/ 

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #478 of 6,777

Quote:
Did you happen to read my last post? The people in those threads explain it better than me but, connecting the E17 through USB will bypass the soundcard. But connecting the E17 through S/PDIF from the sound card will take the digital signal with all the DSP effects and carry it on to the DAC effectively bypassing only the sound card's DAC. I just want to be 100% sure this will work on the E17 before I even think about buying it.

I hapened to read it, but didn't get what you meant. this post explained it better. hmmm going through SPDI/F on the soundcard? I thought SPDI/F just patches striaght digital signal through. :/ if what you say does happen. you will need to come back and tell me the results :D

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #479 of 6,777

Quote:
 Is the E17 an exception?

I guess it depends on the soundcard you are using. Most sound card I know output untamed SPDIF, some do output processed SPDIF. In the later case, you will get the sound effect with E17 as E17 doesn't care whether the signal has been processed or not. As long as it is standard 2 channels SPDIF format, the DAC inside will decode it.

Jan 22, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #480 of 6,777

Quote:
I guess it depends on the soundcard you are using. Most sound card I know output untamed SPDIF, some do output processed SPDIF. In the later case, you will get the sound effect with E17 as E17 doesn't care whether the signal has been processed or not. As long as it is standard 2 channels SPDIF format, the DAC inside will decode it.

that makes a lot more sense :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back