FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Jan 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #451 of 6,777
I can comment on the wallet thing. Since being a member here I've been convinced to spend over three hundred dollars modifying my 100 dollar pair of headphones (wood cups and a budget recable, have committed money to a pair of Magnum drivers as well as buy a 30 dollar case off ebay to keep them safe from those gnomes that visit my room at night and knock things over, and finally an amp/DAC [this one, coincidentally!] which isn't being figured into the 300 dollar figure). I can't afford any of this, mind you... I'm making a conscience decision to eat ramen noodles for a month or two to get some good quality.

Thankfully, as a college student, I'm used to this.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #453 of 6,777

Quote:
I am interested in pairing the E17 and the 598 as well :)  Though not an MBP....

For what it's worth, the E17 doesn't really care what it's plugged into and as long as you're using WASAPI or similar on a PC it'd be identical since the E17, as a DAC, essentially replaces your source's soundcard. Just bypass that damned Windows kernel mixer.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #454 of 6,777

Quote:
I can comment on the wallet thing. Since being a member here I've been convinced to spend over three hundred dollars modifying my 100 dollar pair of headphones (wood cups and a budget recable, have committed money to a pair of Magnum drivers as well as buy a 30 dollar case off ebay to keep them safe from those gnomes that visit my room at night and knock things over, and finally an amp/DAC [this one, coincidentally!]). I can't afford any of this, mind you... I'm making a conscience decision to eat ramen noodles for a month or two to get some good quality.

lol that last part :D hahah :D
So...was it worth modyfying ur heapdhones?

Quote:
For what it's worth, the E17 doesn't really care what it's plugged into and as long as you're using WASAPI or similar on a PC it'd be identical since the E17, as a DAC, essentially replaces your source's soundcard. Just bypass that damned Windows kernel mixer.

there's the aspect of synergy and waht genre's you listen to. From experience and from reviews, FiiO is generally a universal sounding product, but we should first hear his genre's what he wants, and price range before we just plain out say E17

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #455 of 6,777
I can comment on the wallet thing. Since being a member here I've been convinced to spend over three hundred dollars modifying my 100 dollar pair of headphones (wood cups and a budget recable, have committed money to a pair of Magnum drivers as well as buy a 30 dollar case off ebay to keep them safe from those gnomes that visit my room at night and knock things over, and finally an amp/DAC [this one, coincidentally!]). I can't afford any of this, mind you... I'm making a conscience decision to eat ramen noodles for a month or two to get some good quality.

You spent $300 modifying $100 cans. why not just spend $300 on phones you actually like? Its not like theres not a can for every style especially in that price range.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #456 of 6,777

Quote:
You spent $300 modifying $100 cans. why not just spend $300 on phones you actually like? Its not like theres not a can for every style especially in that price range.

I'm a huge fan of Grado headphones and the Grado sound. In order of the events: I bought the SR-80i, bought wooden cups and a recable, and now I'm buying a pair of magnum drivers (essentially giving me new headphones)

I do like the headphones. I always did. I think I've gotten more out of modification than I would have spending 300 dollars on new 'phones - I didn't decide to mod because I was dissatisfied. Quite the opposite.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #457 of 6,777

Quote:
there's the aspect of synergy and waht genre's you listen to. From experience and from reviews, FiiO is generally a universal sounding product, but we should first hear his genre's what he wants, and price range before we just plain out say E17

Not what I was talking about. I was speaking in regards to using a Mac or a PC as a source.

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #458 of 6,777

Originally Posted by HiggsBoson

Maybe because he enjoys making headphones to his own preferences and tastes?

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #459 of 6,777

Quote:

Not what I was talking about. I was speaking in regards to using a Mac or a PC as a source.

Well from my knowledge. It wouldn't make a diff. Using SPDI/F on PC and Mac would bypass the majority of the computer's components and just give you that straight digital data. PC's generally have a optical port and Mac's use their 3.5mm headphone jack output also as an optical out. I have read articles on super audiophilism where hard drives and components in ur computer matter in how the music sounds with SSD's and less components being more preferable. This is generally inaudible to us. 

Jan 21, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #460 of 6,777

Quote:
Well from my knowledge. It wouldn't make a diff. Using SPDI/F on PC and Mac would bypass the majority of the computer's components and just give you that straight digital data. PC's generally have a optical port and Mac's use their 3.5mm headphone jack output also as an optical out. I have read articles on super audiophilism where hard drives and components in ur computer matter in how the music sounds with SSD's and less components being more preferable. This is generally inaudible to us. 

That's what I said.

Jan 21, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #463 of 6,777
I just got the E17 today that I ordered from a local online shop called Noisy Motel. After plugging it into my PC, I made sure the audio device selected was the Fiio and I was relieved to hear sound coming out with no issues. I played around with the settings and had a good listen to some music and the sound is just amazing. I really haven't had any experiences with any other DACs or amps so I cannot make any comparisons, but all I can say is that I am extremely pleased with the E17.

One thing to note was that in the gain settings, I have all three modes (0/6/12), although earlier in this thread I believe it was said that USB input will only allow for a gain of 0 or 6. Anyone else notice this with their E17 or am I missing something?

Being that the E17 for me will be for desktop use, will there be any issues with leaving it plugged into my computer via USB permanently?

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #464 of 6,777

Quote:
... One thing to note was that in the gain settings, I have all three modes (0/6/12), although earlier in this thread I believe it was said that USB input will only allow for a gain of 0 or 6. Anyone else notice this with their E17 or am I missing something?

Being that the E17 for me will be for desktop use, will there be any issues with leaving it plugged into my computer via USB permanently?

You are right. The prototype I received earlier has the 12dB gain disable on USB-in (probably because they fear that the output might clip the amp). But it seems FiiO has enable the 12dB gain on USB-in for the retail unit.

It should be okay to connect it permanently to PC. But take note that the battery won't be used and, like all Li-ion battery, it is not healthy for the battery in the long run. If you can, try draining the battery at least once per month so it gets some proper charging cycle. This will prolong the battery life.

Jan 21, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #465 of 6,777

Quote:
I've bought this in order to use them along with my HE-400, but the Fiio E17 only has a 3.5 mm jack.

Does it come with an adapter from 6.35 to 3.5mm or will I have to purchase this on my own?

You need to supply your own. Only a small hand full of portable amp comes with a 1/4' jack, and E17 is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back