FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #4,396 of 6,777
Quote:
Well this sucks, I get home looking forward to using my new e17 that just arrived this afternoon.  Plug it into my computer, it makes a usb device connected ding, makes sound as it should but the screen doesn't turn on!  Oh well, I guess waiting a few days for a replacement won't be the worst.

Is the hold switch engaged?? The hold switch if it is engaged will have the orange strip revealed. 

Make sure to press the power button FIRMLY. Don't smash it but don't lightly tap it either, the E17's power button needs a firm and straight on push (until you learn or get used to it)

For anyone reading this recent posts and getting worried as it seems the last few pages all have problems, think of it this way, we had more posts and what not because those that subscribed to this thread got the items and remarked on it. Most have left since. Most people that get a working product WILL NOT come back to say whatever, while those that do have a faulty one will almost always make it known. With this threads age and nobody that has subscribed to it getting it and comming back, there aren't many impressions as there were before of course. So don't fret. Just purchase from a local in country retailer if possible. Authorized too

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4,397 of 6,777
Quote:
Is the hold switch engaged?? The hold switch if it is engaged will have the orange strip revealed. 

Make sure to press the power button FIRMLY. Don't smash it but don't lightly tap it either, the E17's power button needs a firm and straight on push (until you learn or get used to it)

For anyone reading this recent posts and getting worried as it seems the last few pages all have problems, think of it this way, we had more posts and what not because those that subscribed to this thread got the items and remarked on it. Most have left since. Most people that get a working product WILL NOT come back to say whatever, while those that do have a faulty one will almost always make it known. With this threads age and nobody that has subscribed to it getting it and comming back, there aren't many impressions as there were before of course. So don't fret. Just purchase from a local in country retailer if possible. Authorized too

Omg, I feel like an idiot...  In my mind I thought the hold button being down was off and up was on.  All working now, Thank you so much for the prompt reply as well.  I didn't intend for my post to come off as bashing fiio either, I completely understand that there will always be lemons and as products become more popular you are bound to hear more simply based off the volume of sales.  I've have an e11 and had a e10 which I sold to a friend that I absolutely loved for the prices.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4,398 of 6,777
Quote:
omg, I feel like an idiot...  In my mind I thought the hold button being down was off and up was on.  All working now, Thank you so much for the prompt reply as well.

Glad that you got that working. Don't feel bad, if you have been on this thread as long as I have, you would note that you are around the 6th to have had this problem where they assumed what the Hold Switch indicator was and never bothered with it.

FiiO on the E17 BY DEFAULT has the Hold Switch engaged(meaning in the On position to lock the device). The best and logical guess would be so that the device doesn't turn on during transport if the power button hit the top of the case or got pressed due to some strategic pressing of the power button from a box or something.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #4,399 of 6,777
Quote:
Glad that you got that working. Don't feel bad, if you have been on this thread as long as I have, you would note that you are around the 6th to have had this problem where they assumed what the Hold Switch indicator was and never bothered with it.

FiiO on the E17 BY DEFAULT has the Hold Switch engaged(meaning in the On position to lock the device). The best and logical guess would be so that the device doesn't turn on during transport if the power button hit the top of the case or got pressed due to some strategic pressing of the power button from a box or something.

That definitely makes sense thinking about it now. 

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #4,400 of 6,777
Quote:
That definitely makes sense thinking about it now. 

Very sorry, we may do something to note user take care about the  "  hold " feature. maybe

1, add a label. so user can see the notice about the Hold feature.

2, set the hold switcher to " off "

3, The screen will display " HOLD" when user touch the key and the Hold switcher is ON.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #4,402 of 6,777
Quote:
Most are so excited when they get it that they may forget to look?
Maybe a sticker that says something of disabling hold switch

yes, a sticker or a label. anyway, we should do better and make everything simple and user friend. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #4,403 of 6,777
Quote:

Very sorry, we may do something to note user take care about the  "  hold " feature. maybe

1, add a label. so user can see the notice about the Hold feature.

2, set the hold switcher to " off "

3, The screen will display " HOLD" when user touch the key and the Hold switcher is ON.

That sounds like it would be a great idea, other than the initial scare I am loving the e17.  I know it's the same DAC as the e10 that I had but the improved amp and added capabilities really make it worth the price difference imo.

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #4,404 of 6,777
Quote:
That sounds like it would be a great idea, other than the initial scare I am loving the e17.  I know it's the same DAC as the e10 that I had but the improved amp and added capabilities really make it worth it imo.

Same DAC does not always mean same sound. How it is implemented, the circuit, inputs(such as Tenor chip in the E17), and all those factors that can be and are generally changed between devices can change how the device sounds even if it is used as a DAC. Usually it's not night and day as we are implying that the companies that made the two units with the same DAC's implemented them well already.

Sep 7, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #4,405 of 6,777
Are there any firmware updates available for this device? 
Last but not least is all audio source you listen to at 48K? even if it is playing 44k from your PC?

Sep 7, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #4,407 of 6,777
Quote:

I think it's better to do it like this:
- If the device is connected to an external powersource, it doesn't really matter how hold status is communicated.
- If the device is powered on, not connected to an external powersource, and hold is engaged either show an indicator on screen continuously or temporarily when a key is pressed.
- If the device is powered off, not connected to an external powersource, and hold is engaged, do absolutely nothing. Firing up the screen and monitoring button-status still uses a little power. Which would still mean unwanted battery drain when something keeps pressing the buttons in your pocket or bag.

I mean, if someone cant figure out that they might need to flick the hold switch if their device doesn't respond to a buttonpress, they probably shouldn't be using technology at all
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #4,409 of 6,777
I personally find the orange colour of the hold button the most obvious indicator of all, orange == on hold, what more do you want, look at the device, is the colour at the hold switch orange or gun metal black? if its orange flick the damn switch, anyone who has owned a cd player from the 90's implicitly understands this logic, at most Fiio should provide a two line description in its instruction leaflet. 

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #4,410 of 6,777
Sure, but most people I know are more pissed off by finding their batteries drained even though their device is on hold than by not being notified that they need to check the position of a switch.

But that is why I added different scenarios. If the device is connected to external power, communicate the hold status in whatever way you see fit, as it won't drain the battery. If the device is in use, communicate the hold status in whatever way you see fit, as the added batterydrain by the additional message is too small to notice. But When the device is off, don't do anything, as this will trigger a natural user response (to me as a geek, but I checked with 3 of my less tech-savvy colleagues and they say the same). Press a button -> nothing happens, check the hold switch and try again. If still nothing happens, charge the device. And if they skip straight to charging without checking the hold button, they will automatically go to the scenario where the device is connected to external power and thus receive the hold button notification. If hold button is off and the device is charged, and it still doesn't work, they have a right to complain :)

So much for my lunchbreak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back