FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Sep 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #4,381 of 6,777
Quote:
You are mixing up terms. If you are referring to noise floor and bit depth, then you are talking more in the area of dynamic range. Power is voltage and current, and Q701 isn't that demanding a headphone that E17 don't have enough on both. The tricky part about Q701 is often not about having not enough power to drive it well, but often not having the right synergy / performance to drive it to its best.

Aye, I am - Although you seem to understand what I was aiming for - I'll lurk around a bit more to find the proper equipment :wink:

Bowei - Norway is not part of EU, thus making it very hard to receive shipping from international sites (we can't buy electronic equipment from amazon for instance!) I'll check if audio gd' actually does ship to Norway

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #4,382 of 6,777
Quote:
Aye, I am - Although you seem to understand what I was aiming for - I'll lurk around a bit more to find the proper equipment :wink:

Bowei - Norway is not part of EU, thus making it very hard to receive shipping from international sites (we can't buy electronic equipment from amazon for instance!) I'll check if audio gd' actually does ship to Norway

They may not say it on their site so email them for questions. They can help you. You place Audio gd orders by mail for them to give you a quote really. Audio gd is very popular in audio as you may tell.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #4,383 of 6,777
Sorry, my previous comment is meant for bowei006 - which I think he is talking about the resolving power of the amp, not the actual power. That is understandable, given Q701 is an very analytical headphone and capable of showing fine detail while O2 isn't a pushover in comparison either.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4,384 of 6,777
Quote:
Sorry, my previous comment is meant for bowei006 - which I think he is talking about the resolving power of the amp, not the actual power. That is understandable, given Q701 is an very analytical headphone and capable of showing fine detail while O2 isn't a pushover in comparison either.

Could you explain what you mean by resolving power? I am a bit confused about resolving power and how it deals with the previous post?  Head-Fi is the place to learn 
gs1000.gif

(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)​

The Q701 is a fine headphone for my Asian pop and rock tastes but a major flaw would be the bass responce. Yes it's just punchy enough and has just enough to not feel empty but as a EDM and normal listener, it is quite unsatisfactory at times and the problems with it are seen in movies that require heavy bass of which the Q701 then has the drivers shaking instead of much actual bass/LF responce causing a "stuttering" shaking fake bass to roll out.

Sep 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #4,385 of 6,777
Resolving power = resolution. How well the amp can resolve one music note / sound to another in the same time+space. For example, most human with average hearing can pick up one instrument from another in a live performance easily. But record that performance down and replay it on headphone and you will start losing the clarity and space between instruments as they become less defined. That because regardless how good the recording and playback devices are, they are still mechanical / electronics devices with limited resolving power. The idea is, when you have enough dynamic range in between recording and playback, any lost of resolution should be negligible. But often that's not the case in real life.

Sep 1, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #4,386 of 6,777
Quote:
Resolving power = resolution. How well the amp can resolve one music note / sound to another in the same time+space. For example, most human with average hearing can pick up one instrument from another in a live performance easily. But record that performance down and replay it on headphone and you will start losing the clarity and space between instruments as they become less defined. That because regardless how good the recording and playback devices are, they are still mechanical / electronics devices with limited resolving power. The idea is, when you have enough dynamic range in between recording and playback, any lost of resolution should be negligible. But often that's not the case in real life.

I see thanks. That still makes me wonder what was directed at me as I wasn't really talking about the resolution of the tracks but how they have a lower noise floor than most general music today.

Sep 2, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #4,387 of 6,777
Hello to all!

I have a problem with my FiiO E17. It keeps discharging at a fast pace even if it's powered off. By this i mean it discharges when powered off as if it were powered on and used.
I used it one day on my laptop with charging on option, closed it (so full battery charge) and after a couple of days when i wanted to use it again it kept closing saying the battery was low on power.

Does anyone ever experienced such an issue with their FiiO E17? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dragos

Sep 2, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #4,388 of 6,777
Quote:
Hello to all!

I have a problem with my FiiO E17. It keeps discharging at a fast pace even if it's powered off. By this i mean it discharges when powered off as if it were powered on and used.
I used it one day on my laptop with charging on option, closed it (so full battery charge) and after a couple of days when i wanted to use it again it kept closing saying the battery was low on power.

Does anyone ever experienced such an issue with their FiiO E17? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dragos

I noticed that when I take this with me in my bag, sometimes the "On" button gets pushed unintentionally because it protrudes a little so it gets turned "On" when pressure is applied on my bag where the ALPEN is located.  This is probably not your situation if the ALPEN is sitting around at home but if in a bag, this could be happening to your ALPEN.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4,391 of 6,777
Your experience contradicts to mine. That's one of the things I love about the E17. Even if I leave it for 2 weeks full batt, the battery is almost as good. No discharging whatsoever. A full-charged E17, when I'm not on vacation and not using it much, can last 3-4 weeks for me. Also if you're using it as DAC, even the USB charging is turned off, the battery seems to almost not discharge at all. It discharges mainly when using as an amp IMHO. Either you have a lemon or you left it turned on. I always put in on hold when I turn it off.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #4,392 of 6,777
you can try doing a full-cycle discharge 3 times. First discharge let the battery drain until the device powered itself off. Then charge it completely while it is turned off (the LED must be Red not Violet in this case). That may take up to 4-4.5 hours. Then the next discharges let the battery reach 1-0 bar then charge it until it's full. Might help... Some sites/articles says we're now using lithium batteries and doesn't require care and is actually useless to mind how you charge them due to its technology. But for me it is still a must for stability of the batteries as I experience weird things happen to the battery life if I do charge them randomly. I'm very sensitive to the behavior of my devices' batteries lol.

Sep 5, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #4,393 of 6,777
As i stated three or four posts above, i closed it and put it on hold afterwards in order to prevent accidental turns on. I never let it on when i don't use it. I'll try what you recommended and hope it will recover. Thank you.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #4,395 of 6,777
Well this sucks, I get home looking forward to using my new e17 that just arrived this afternoon.  Plug it into my computer, it makes a usb device connected ding, makes sound as it should but the screen doesn't turn on!  Oh well, I guess waiting a few days for a replacement won't be the worst.

Scratch that, long day at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back