FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #1,051 of 2,388
I'm late to the game and am supposed to be getting a FiiO E12 DIY (and X5!) tomorrow.  I've read the last few references to the Muses02 OpAmps.  My question is, do they require a buffer?  If so, what's a good suggestion.  I apologize if these questions were already answered and I just missed them.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 6, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #1,052 of 2,388
  I'm late to the game and am supposed to be getting a FiiO E12 DIY (and X5!) tomorrow.  I've read the last few references to the Muses02 OpAmps.  My question is, do they require a buffer?  If so, what's a good suggestion.  I apologize if these questions were already answered and I just missed them.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Welcome to the club!  The Muses 01 and 02 just need to be plugged in, however the E12 DIY case is just a bit too tight for them which will lead to board flex... so you need to file down the inside of the case to allow for proper fit without stressing the board.  I'm horrible with tools and managed to accomplish it without damaging my E12 DIY 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #1,053 of 2,388

Welcome to the club!  The Muses 01 and 02 just need to be plugged in, however the E12 DIY case is just a bit too tight for them which will lead to board flex... so you need to file down the inside of the case to allow for proper fit without stressing the board.  I'm horrible with tools and managed to accomplish it without damaging my E12 DIY 
smily_headphones1.gif

Great!  Thanks very much for the info!  I am really looking forward to trying out the DIY (it may be a little while before I try the Muses though).
L3000.gif

Cheers and Thanks!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 6, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #1,054 of 2,388

smily_headphones1.gif

Hi. By "just need to be plugged in", do you mean that they don't require any form of soldering to attach them to the adapter PCBs provided with the E12DIY? Thanks in advance.

May 6, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #1,055 of 2,388
Hi. By "just need to be plugged in", do you mean that they don't require any form of soldering to attach them to the adapter PCBs provided with the E12DIY? Thanks in advance.

Yup, the Muses I ordered are DIP-8 and are plug n play - no soldering required :). Their legs are softer than the other opamps I ordered, so I'd emphasize caution against overworking them, though.

May 6, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,056 of 2,388
I'll need to discuss the details, but I'm going to say I'm interested in getting on a group purchase of the MUSES 01 and 02.

Let me know how things develop. I'd offer more assistance, but I'm way to busy at work currently. Hope you understand.

May 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #1,057 of 2,388
I'm interested but headfi mods have come down on group buys in the past: http://www.head-fi.org/f/51/group-buys 

Did anyone check whether we have approval? Do we need it? I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but it may be worth checking...

May 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #1,058 of 2,388
when this was initially polled, i didn't have the money(or "need") for this, but now i've ordered it -and missed delivery.

from tomorrow i'll be joining the X5+E12 masterrace :wink:

going to read through this thread now, i hope i won't have any questions after that :)

May 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #1,059 of 2,388

Good.  Even if it's just the two of us, I think we would still save substantial money.  I'm thinking of getting the 01 and the 02.  What about you?  Feel free to PM me.  I'm thinking of waiting a week or two, to see if there is any interested, and then making the arrangements.

One of each.

May 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #1,060 of 2,388
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Yes, they need buffer. But don't forget you already have 3 choices of buffer with the stock E12DIY selection.

If you want the ultimate cleanness of sort, Intersil HA-5002 is probably one of the best option. However, it will need a special BrownDog adapter (search my previous post in this thread).

May 6, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,061 of 2,388
  when this was initially polled, i didn't have the money(or "need") for this, but now i've ordered it -and missed delivery.

from tomorrow i'll be joining the X5+E12 masterrace :wink:

going to read through this thread now, i hope i won't have any questions after that :)

I just did!  They've arrived and I confirmed their authenticity.  I can't wait to start playing with them!
biggrin.gif

Cheers and all the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 6, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #1,062 of 2,388

Yes, they need buffer. But don't forget you already have 3 choices of buffer with the stock E12DIY selection.

If you want the ultimate cleanness of sort, Intersil HA-5002 is probably one of the best option. However, it will need a special BrownDog adapter (search my previous post in this thread).

Thanks very much for the info!  I actually have a Brown Dog (adapter
wink_face.gif
) lying around somewhere from my Practical Devices XM6 amp rolling days.  I really look forward to trying out the different sounds.  Now I just have to rationalize to myself why I should still keep my iBasso DX90 after getting this (don't worry, I'm sure I'll come up with something 
wink_face.gif
).  Plus, these are my first FiiO components but I had to get the X5 after being part of the review tour and had to try out the E12 DIY after reading about how it pairs well with the X5 (along with the customize-ability).
biggrin.gif

Cheers and all the Best!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

May 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,063 of 2,388
Just finished reading the whole thread, and i have 3 questions (question 3 depends on the answer of question 2)

1: what exactly does the buffer do? Does it reduce the voltage, or smooths it out?

2: where in europe could i find a reliable seller of the Muse 1/2?

If not

3: Deterministic NL i take it you're dutch, if so, and if i can't find a european distributor, i would like to ask you something. I won't bother you if not needed and if you don't want to :)

May 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,064 of 2,388
Just finished reading the whole thread, and i have 3 questions (question 3 depends on the answer of question 2)

1: what exactly does the buffer do? Does it reduce the voltage, or smooths it out?

2: where in europe could i find a reliable seller of the Muse 1/2?

If not

3: @Deterministic NL i take it you're dutch, if so, and if i can't find a european distributor, i would like to ask you something. I won't bother you if not needed and if you don't want to
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're going to ask if I can get a Muses 01 and 02 and ship to you the answer would be yes, however I have one of each on order from two sources.  I think I bought a Muses 02 from somewhere on Amazon Japan and bought the 01 from Akizuikidenshi.

Today is the last day of what they call Golden Week in Japan.  Everybody is back to work today.  I expect to get my orders delivered to my home either today or tomorrow or certainly by Friday latest. 

I don't want to promise anyone anything unless I can confirm that the Muses are legit and as soon as I get them I'll post pics and try to determine authenticity through photos and some of the posts regarding such here. 

Once I'm sure I have a good source I'm happy to help you get them.  I don't need to make any money but I don't want to lose any either.  I have access to the military postal system at MCAS Iwakuni Japan and can only ship USPS Priority. 

But lets make sure I can get legit chips first.

May 6, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,065 of 2,388
If you're going to ask if I can get a Muses 01 and 02 and ship to you the answer would be yes, however I have one of each on order from two sources.  I think I bought a Muses 02 from somewhere on Amazon Japan and bought the 01 from Akizuikidenshi.

Today is the last day of what they call Golden Week in Japan.  Everybody is back to work today.  I expect to get my orders delivered to my home either today or tomorrow or certainly by Friday latest. 

I don't want to promise anyone anything unless I can confirm that the Muses are legit and as soon as I get them I'll post pics and try to determine authenticity through photos and some of the posts regarding such here. 

Once I'm sure I have a good source I'm happy to help you get them.  I don't need to make any money but I don't want to lose any either.  I have access to the military postal system at MCAS Iwakuni Japan and can only ship USPS Priority. 

But lets make sure I can get legit chips first.

The e12 broke my bank, so it's not something i'll ask of you very soon, but thank you for your help! I hope they'll be the real deal (for you, not for me)

Of course i'll cover all expenses it will take to get them from japan to the Netherlands.

Thank you,

--CH23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back