FiiO E12DIY Limited Edition Version---DIY your own sound !
May 7, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #1,081 of 2,388
  Many thanks once again for the patience and kind support as always ClieOS!

Also assuming that the dent and dot should face on the front side of the E12 DIY too right? (just making sure i won't screw up on my precious muses)

Yes, and note that the buffer sockets are on opposite direction.

May 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,082 of 2,388
i've tried some of the possible combinations now

X5 - e12DIY - Grado PS1000

I had no idea that a different buffer or opamp could make such difference. Mind = blown.

Buffer BUF 634
AD8620 sounds very clean, in a good way. Pretty balanced, bass reaches out a bit, and highs are there, but not annoyingly so.
OPA 1611 punchy highs and bass, but it sounds dull.
OPA604 less bass than i'd like.
AD797 nice bass but the mids are gone. Actually the mids seem to went up with the highs a bit.

Buffer LME49600
AD8620 gives clarity and nice bass response, so far my favourite combination.
OPA1611 sounds a bit muddy.
OPA604 sounds a bit muddy.
AD797 has a more clinical sound to it. More so than i'd like.

Buffer LMH6321
AD8620 gives clarity, but the mids have gone out the door.
OPA1611 to me it seems like the highs are very focused, but the bass is going all over the place. Basically muddy+sharp highs.
OPA604 Balanced, my 2nd favourite combo
AD797 the bass is more there than mids or highs. No focus on the highs.

May 7, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,083 of 2,388
i've tried some of the possible combinations now

X5 - e12DIY - Grado PS1000

I had no idea that a different buffer or opamp could make such difference. Mind = blown.

Buffer BUF 634

AD8620 sounds very clean, in a good way. Pretty balanced, bass reaches out a bit, and highs are there, but not annoyingly so.

OPA 1611 punchy highs and bass, but it sounds dull.

OPA604 less bass than i'd like.

AD797 nice bass but the mids are gone. Actually the mids seem to went up with the highs a bit.

Buffer LME49600

AD8620 gives clarity and nice bass response, so far my favourite combination.

OPA1611 sounds a bit muddy.

OPA604 sounds a bit muddy.

AD797 has a more clinical sound to it. More so than i'd like.

Buffer LMH6321

AD8620 gives clarity, but the mids have gone out the door.

OPA1611 to me it seems like the highs are very focused, but the bass is going all over the place. Basically muddy+sharp highs.

OPA604 Balanced, my 2nd favourite combo

AD797 the bass is more there than mids or highs. No focus on the highs.

Nice impressions! Thanks! :D
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

May 7, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #1,084 of 2,388
Thanks for posting your impressions of the chip combos, CH23. Your favorite combo, the AD8620 with LME49600, I'll have to try that.

What phones are you using? I'm finding that there's synergy between all 3 components: opamp, buffer, and phones. So there's not necessarily one opamp/buffer combo that's perfect for everything. Makes it kind of complicated and fussy, but once you find a great combo, that's one to mark down.

Btw, I just looked up the prices for MUSES 01 and 02 on Mouser. $74 each chip! 

That's a lot, but I'm almost tempted to do it.

I figure ordering from Mouser would almost certainly give me a genuine chip, and once I purchase a 01 and 02 for my two E12DIY amps, I won't be dabbling with the MUSES for anything else.

Somehow it seems worth the premium to know I'm getting the genuine thing, instead of worrying about it. I've got enough stuff to worry about in my work life.

May 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,085 of 2,388
Thanks for posting your impressions of the chip combos, CH23. Your favorite combo, the AD8620 with LME49600, I'll have to try that.

What phones are you using? I'm finding that there's synergy between all 3 components: opamp, buffer, and phones. So there's not necessarily one opamp/buffer combo that's perfect for everything. Makes it kind of complicated and fussy, but once you find a great combo, that's one to mark down.

Btw, I just looked up the prices for MUSES 01 and 02 on Mouser. $74 each chip! 

That's a lot, but I'm almost tempted to do it.

I figure ordering from Mouser would almost certainly give me a genuine chip, and once I purchase a 01 and 02 for my two E12DIY amps, I won't be dabbling with the MUSES for anything else.

Somehow it seems worth the premium to know I'm getting the genuine thing, instead of worrying about it. I've got enough stuff to worry about in my work life.

As i stated in my post, i'm using Grado PS1000. Of course headphones are as big a part of the synergy as all other parts from file to ear.

I'll have to wait before ordering the Muses. "Sorry about your wallet" indeed :p

May 7, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #1,086 of 2,388
As i stated in my post, i'm using Grado PS1000. Of course headphones are as big a part of the synergy as all other parts from file to ear.

I'll have to wait before ordering the Muses. "Sorry about your wallet" indeed :p

Oh, sorry. Whoops, I totally overlooked the part where you specified Grado PS1000.

Thanks for your sentiments about my wallet. At this point I figure my two E12DIYs with a MUSES 01 in one, and a MUSES 02 in the other may, be my endgame for portable amps. I also have the regular E12, too.

So if the MUSES work out, I may not have to fiddle around with my portable amps in the future.

Of course it's always good to get as best a bargain as possible, but with the counterfeiting situation around MUSES, I think it may be worth it for me to just get it from Mouser and not have the second guessing taking up valuable mental energy. But that's just me.

No doubt I hate to have to pay that much, though.

May 8, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #1,087 of 2,388
I received a MUSES02 from an Amazon Japan seller and it is pretty clearly a fake.  Ordered one from Akizukidensi and it should be here tomorrow.  I can confirm that Akizukidenshi does indeed sell authentic MUSES chips.  I can place an order with them and it is shipped directly to my home in Iwakuni Japan on the 2nd day after the order.

May 8, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,088 of 2,388
Given Akizukidenshi is JRC official dealer on the MUSES series, I don't think authenticity is of any concern at all.

May 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #1,089 of 2,388
Pics of fake MUSES02.  The most dead giveaway is the E or hair or whatever it is on the right of the ladies face.  Tentacles are too fat.  Legs are stiff beyond all belief.

Just for fun I took an authentic MUSES01 and plugged it in a CMOYBB and removing it really almost made a mess of the pins they are so soft.  The ones on this "Muses02" are solid and do not bend a hair under nuclear conditions. 

May 8, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #1,090 of 2,388
Pics of fake MUSES02.  The most dead giveaway is the E or hair or whatever it is on the right of the ladies face.  Tentacles are too fat.  Legs are stiff beyond all belief.

Just for fun I took an authentic MUSES01 and plugged it in a CMOYBB and removing it really almost made a mess of the pins they are so soft.  The ones on this "Muses02" are solid and do not bend a hair under nuclear conditions. 

Man, i'm really sorry for you.

Is the "m" also more rounded on the top on the fake one?

May 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,092 of 2,388
  Given Akizukidenshi is JRC official dealer on the MUSES series, I don't think authenticity is of any concern at all.

Thanks for that info. I'm going to be ordering the Muses fairly soon, one 01 and one 02.

Given Aizukidenshi is an official dealer, I may try ordering from them through one of those ordering services.

I know it's been discussed before, but can someone give a quick overview of how that works? I'm a bit nervous as I've never use such a service.

Or direct me to the post. Yes, that's just me being lazy. Actually, me working too hard and not having time to look through the post.

Thanks!

May 8, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,093 of 2,388
May 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,095 of 2,388
Wow. It lasted 14 hours on a 2 hour charge!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back