FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 11, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #241 of 1,271
Feiao, don't feel pressured to release the E11 sooner than you think you should.  Fix the problems and make it greater than it already is so you can get rich and give me some of that money :)

May 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #242 of 1,271
Quote:
I mean really, centralized command economy that promotes growth and initiative versus a regulated 'democratic' system that alternates myopic ideologues every 2/4/6 years and alienates entrepreneurship is hardly fair.  But who cares about fair when winning is involved.  

It's clear that between the US and Soviet Union that China won the Cold War.  It's not all completely roses though.  We'll see how well Confucianism adapts and deals with their own shortcomings in various aspects beyond culture and philosophy.

Well the biggest reason, by far, is because they still have a large unindustrialized population that can be converted to greater productivity and not because of any fundamental difference in the nature of governance.  That rate of growth is only sustainable because of that and its largely independent of anything any government could do.  Even dictators can't repeal the laws of supply and demand or print endless quantities of money without causing inflation.

The fact that lawyers haven't ruined everything yet with overreaching intellectual "property" laws is icing on the cake and will remain an advantage even when/if they industrialize the whole population.

I was just taking a poke at that.

May 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #243 of 1,271

Quote:
Well the biggest reason, by far, is because they still have a large unindustrialized population that can be converted to greater productivity and not because of any fundamental difference in the nature of governance.  That rate of growth is only sustainable because of that and its largely independent of anything any government could do.  Even dictators can't repeal the laws of supply and demand or print endless quantities of money without causing inflation.

The fact that lawyers haven't ruined everything yet with overreaching intellectual "property" laws is icing on the cake and will remain an advantage even when/if they industrialize the whole population.

Nice poke.  China is a hybrid Command/Market economy not comparable to Qadaffi or Hugo Chavez playing around in the dirt/sand.  Inflation and dictatorships are irrelevant here.  Control of the Yuan is relevant among other things.  US is a bottom up economy, Authoritarians are top down, China is both.  China is also losing the cheap labor battle compared to it's neighbors so that is not the source of their strength.  It's vision, purpose and efficiency.  The US has neither atm.  Feel free to PM me.

So I'm curious about Mike's comparison of the E11 to the JDSLabs CMoy.  Anyone else read that?

May 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #244 of 1,271

Quote:

This conversation is tempting me but we should stay on topic so I'll only say a few brief things. Productivity isn't only defined by the size of the labour pool, but also investment, and efficiency. Even in classical exogenous growth models ( like solow growth), government plays a huge role. The government has a large say in the flow of investments either through direct policy ((in China's case opening opportunities for foreign direct investments)) or by seeding a market sector, and efficiency (building infrastructure, regulation, standards of economic practice). Governance therefore has a huge role in shaping markets and driving economic growth. Believe free markets and the forces of supply and demand will guarantee economic prosperity? Well unfortunately the free market is not the natural state of an economy, and supply and demand are shaped by social forces. Unless there is some physical or social structure in place, economic power like other forms of power naturally concentrate into monopolies and oligopolies. Government can be one of those social structures. 

As for why Apple doesn't share its digital out? It's got less to do with the fact that it doesn't trust certain companies (like ones from China), but everything to do with control. Not only does Apple make more money by having control over their technology as a patent (giving them the right to make royalties for distribution and sue those who violate its rights), but it gives them greater product quality and marketing control. The person who talked about how they only give control to companies that it can sue has got it right.

May 11, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #245 of 1,271
Quote:
So I'm curious about Mike's comparison of the E11 to the JDSLabs CMoy.  Anyone else read that?

I read it. I was quite surprised after ClieOS specifically saying that he felt that the E11 provided a much better sound. I find Headfonia's reviews to be interesting most of the time, but their style tends to lead a little to close to that of an audiophile magazine for my tastes. The choice of pairings also seems a little odd to me: Is anyone honestly going to buy an HD 800 and then pair it with a $60 amplifier?
Not to slight the E11, but it's a perception thing more than anything.
Still, it could be that the E11 actually ends up costing less than/the same as the JDS CMoy, and with the classier form factor and ther other neat switches I think that still makes the E11 the better deal, even if it doesn't sound quite as good.

May 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #246 of 1,271
Quote:
Nice poke.  China is a hybrid Command/Market economy not comparable to Qadaffi or Hugo Chavez playing around in the dirt/sand.  Inflation and dictatorships are irrelevant here.  Control of the Yuan is relevant among other things.  US is a bottom up economy, Authoritarians are top down, China is both.  China is also losing the cheap labor battle compared to it's neighbors so that is not the source of their strength.  It's vision, purpose and efficiency.  The US has neither atm.  Feel free to PM me.

I'm not saying it is a dictatorship, I'm just saying impossible things are impossible no matter what sort of political power you have.  I'd also say they're in a transition and not trying some new type of economy.  A modern economy is not the kind of thing that can be managed successfully from the top down so they're transitioning to bottom up.  Russia showed what happens if you switch overnight and it sure wasn't pretty.

About the CMoy, I'd say it shows that amps usually aren't as important as they're made out to be.  I usually pick mine based on features, not what people who wax poetic say about the sound.

May 11, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #247 of 1,271

Quote:
 A modern economy is not the kind of thing that can be managed successfully from the top down so they're transitioning to bottom up.

Oh really?  China is doing it quite well and they have no interest in relinquishing control to the individual.  That goes against so many aspects of economic and cultural sense for the Chinese it's not worth consideration.  Latenlazy said it all quite well.  I think you are looking at economics very simplistically and not really understanding the reality of China's policies.  They are not an experimental system and are not transitioning to anything.  They simply are and have been for some time.  A Command/Market economy has been done before to much success but that's a can of worms I won't open.

May 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #248 of 1,271

Quote:
Oh really?  China is doing it quite well and they have no interest in relinquishing control to the individual.  That goes against so many aspects of economic and cultural sense for the Chinese it's not worth consideration.  Latenlazy said it all quite well.  I think you are looking at economics very simplistically and not really understanding the reality of China's policies.  They are not an experimental system and are not transitioning to anything.  They simply are and have been for some time.  A Command/Market economy has been done before to much success but that's a can of worms I won't open.

Oh boy, my academic finger is itching. I'll just say this much. Seeing "culture" as a constraint on economic, social, and political behaviour is also being too simplistic.

May 11, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #249 of 1,271

Quote:
Oh boy, my academic finger is itching. I'll just say this much. Seeing "culture" as a constraint on economic, social, and political behaviour is also being too simplistic.

Yes culture is fluid and adaptable but from a political sense wrt China it's a different animal than other contexts.  Not to say things can't change but from Imperial China to Mao's revolution and even now many things haven't and might not.  Unless you've lived in an Asian society like China for most of your life I'd take you counterpoint as academic theory at best.  We should stop before Post Modern Deconstruction rears its head.  Btw, it's not a constraint in this case but an asset.  I'm not sure what you think you read in my post.

May 11, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #251 of 1,271
Quote:
Oh really?  China is doing it quite well and they have no interest in relinquishing control to the individual.  That goes against so many aspects of economic and cultural sense for the Chinese it's not worth consideration.

I started writing up something rather long but then I though it might just get this page blocked by the Great Firewall or something which would be bad for everyone involved.

In retrospect, that pretty much sums up everything I was going to say anyway...

May 11, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #252 of 1,271
May 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #254 of 1,271
And did the other batteries arrive?  How did they test?

May 11, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #255 of 1,271

Quote:
I read it. I was quite surprised after ClieOS specifically saying that he felt that the E11 provided a much better sound...

That perhaps have more to do with how each of us interprets sound. Does the stock JDS sounds 'grand' in a way? Yes, I do think so. It has a fairly rich sound that tends to 'fill in the blank' between all the notes, giving the listener (or at least me) a more musical experience. But the question in my mind is, does the music supposed to sound that way?  Ideally an amp should be 'wire-with-gain', but the reality seems to be that an amp with a slightly coloration always sounds better than an amp that is too transparent. The first thing that comes to my mind is the reaction of many new E7 buyer complain about the amp is doing 'nothing'. But technical wise, E7 is an excellent amp down to measurement, just that it simply sounds too clean for most. People are expecting to listen to an amp that sounds 'grander' than their headphone-out. A digital'ish transparent sound is probably the last thing in their mind. This reminded me of another experience - when I was in the process of determining which portable amp I should buy 3 years ago, I auditioned the Pico. It was one of the top recommended amp in the forum at that time and to my surprise, a very warm amp and far from my idea of what an amp should be (again, 'wire-with-gain'). I ended up getting the 3MOVE - it is cheaper and sounded more transparent but not overly clean, just the way I like it. When James asked me about what I didn't like about E7 a few months ago (so he can made adjustment to the E11 project), I actually did tell him the problem with E7 for most is that it is too cold and too clean, not musical enough. I am not sure how much James understood what I was trying to say or whether he made any change to the E11 sound, but the idea of wire-with-gain IMO is a tough sell to customer, even when they are audiophile. On personal level, I think a really good amp should sound clean, but not too clean. That will make it an ideal amp for me, thus comes my issue with the stock JDS - not that it doesn't sound good, just 'too good' - well, that's my own interpretation anyway.

Quote:
ClieOS, has the amp's signature changed any with use?

Not at all.

Quote:
And did the other batteries arrive?  How did they test?

No yet. The stock battery tested very good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back