FiiO E11 & E11K & A3 Information + Support
May 11, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #256 of 1,271
Interesting timing, ClieOS - I posted in another thread that the amp builder who creates a truly 'neutral' portable probably wont sell too many amps, but it appears that you are the exception. I know - the audiophile mantra is 'neutrality, neutrality, neutrality', but the warmth you detected in the Pico is the exact same signature that attracts so many of us to amps like the TTVJ Slim and several of Ray's amps. It may not be an accurate 'window on the music', but its definitely alluring.

May 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #257 of 1,271

Quote:
Interesting timing, ClieOS - I posted in another thread that the amp builder who creates a truly 'neutral' portable probably wont sell too many amps, but it appears that you are the exception. I know - the audiophile mantra is 'neutrality, neutrality, neutrality', but the warmth you detected in the Pico is the exact same signature that attracts so many of us to amps like the TTVJ Slim and several of Ray's amps. It may not be an accurate 'window on the music', but its definitely alluring.

I am not against coloration. I am a Stepdance owner after all. The kind of musicality is far from what I would consider to be neutral. But at the same time I know 3MOVE is still an important piece in my reference gear. That perhaps is another reason why I prefer E11 to E7 - it is still very transparent, but not quite as sterile as E7.

May 12, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #258 of 1,271
UPDATE - just finish run down the battery till it auto shutdown and I can't replicate Mike's result. My E11 just recharge as usual. The battery cut-off voltage is as I have predicted, around 3V.

May 12, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #260 of 1,271

Quote:
ClieOS, how does the Radius DDM sounds with the E11? Does it improve on instrument separations and improve the treble? Thanks!

The most obvious improvement is on the bass control and speed. You might detect treble improvement or better instrument separation if you switch from headphone-out to line-out, but I'll say E11 has less to do with improving it, but merely revealing it.

May 12, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #262 of 1,271
May 12, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #264 of 1,271
does it do anything to the RE ZEROs? good, bad anything?
and what exactly with the 0s? does the Sansa Fuze > E11 > RE0 sound goooooood? as in gooooood?

May 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #266 of 1,271

Quote:
Hm initial review was WOWOWOWOW. But it seems when asked how headphones pair with the e11 the response is "pretty good" or "not bad". Imma still buy it though lol.

Welcome to Head-Fi. Welcome to the world of the FOTM.

Personally, I dont blame ClieOS for not giving unqualified recommendations for every headphone someone asks about - to do so is to court almost certain howls of disappointment when someone else (with different musical tastes and preferences) buys the amp and isnt immediately 'wowed'. His initial impressions, obviously, were with his own kit and his music - anything beyond that has to be a slippery slope.

May 12, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #267 of 1,271
It was clear weeks/months ago the e11 was going to be special.  Due to the quality of the inner components most of us were kind of like...

"umm...WOW really?!"  O.o

and it seems we were all correct in saying it and feeling it, I mean doesn't it make you feel good to know your money is well spent and you wont ever feel like you paid too much?  :)

May 13, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #268 of 1,271
Quote:
Hi ClieOS

Have you had the chance to try any earbuds out with the E11, and if you did what is your impressions ?

Thanks

I have tried PK1, AS-Charm, HR1 and NW-Studio Pro with E11 - These are some of the best earbuds in the market and I'll say they all sound pretty good.

Quote:
does it do anything to the RE ZEROs? good, bad anything?
and what exactly with the 0s? does the Sansa Fuze > E11 > RE0 sound goooooood? as in gooooood?

I have yet to listen to anything that sounds bad on E11 so far. Yes, Fuze + LOD + E11 + RE0 sounds pretty good in my ears. How good? A little better than T3D, not quite as good as 3MOVE - then again 3MOVE is like 4 times more expensive as E11 and a very well regarded amp by itself. If I have to make an assumption now, I'll say E11 should easily compared to most sub$150 amp in the market now and possibly holds its ground well to sub$200 amp, except maybe the Mini3 (which I only had a very brief listening before and I don't remember much of the detail).

Quote:
Hm initial review was WOWOWOWOW. But it seems when asked how headphones pair with the e11 the response is "pretty good" or "not bad". Imma still buy it though lol.

You will only get 4 kind of response from me generally: bad, okay (No bad), pretty good, or great. The first and last are most likely a synergy / mismatching issue, i.e pair of Pico (a warm amp) and RE262 will probably be bad, pairing 3MOVE with RE262 will be great. Pairing RE262 with STEPDANCE will be pretty good. Why? Because RE262 already has a strong coloration to it sound, and amp should be as transparent as possible yet allow the IEM to sounds at its best - E11 is transparent enough for E11, but does RE262 sounds as good on it as 3MOVE? No, so it is 'pretty good' - not that RE262 doesn't sound good, just that E11 isn't taking RE262 to its absolute limit. In sum, everything is relative to how far the amp can / has brought it out, not just a simply answer to whether the combo sounds good or not. So what about 'no bad'? For example - I'll say DDM with E11 is not bad. This is because DDM itself doesn't need amping, whatever positive result you can get has less to do with improving DDM via E11, but more of the coloration of the amp or the improvement from using a line-out signal. That's why it is a 'not bad' from me.

All and all, I'll say E11 is still up to par of my early impression - a big wowowowow to an incredible amp for the price (it is very rare to find amp that actually sounds twice as good as it price). It performs as good as I can ever hope for and so more, but it is not a miracle amp that will magically beats a 3MOVE or Stepdance. There is still a size (internal space for electronic components) and price (the amount of electronics inside) difference between E11 and the big boys. But if I were to use an portable amp as my travel rig, guess what I will bring? The E11. Sure it doesn't sound quite as good as the other two amps, but the compromise is small and easily forgettable when I am out-and-about.

Quote:
Welcome to Head-Fi. Welcome to the world of the FOTM.

Personally, I dont blame ClieOS for not giving unqualified recommendations for every headphone someone asks about - to do so is to court almost certain howls of disappointment when someone else (with different musical tastes and preferences) buys the amp and isnt immediately 'wowed'. His initial impressions, obviously, were with his own kit and his music - anything beyond that has to be a slippery slope.

To clarify, I do listen to every headphone a person asked before answering (I generally do that for any question people ask me, not just for E11). Read the above for reason of answer. I do try to avoid creating FOTM as much as I can and there is always good reason not to post everything as either bad or great all the time in a forum like Head-fi.

Here you go: WOWOWOWOW
Does it somehow make E11 better than it already is? Absolutely not. But I bet it makes people happy just to see big bold wow in red, so enjoy :)

Quote:
It was clear weeks/months ago the e11 was going to be special.  Due to the quality of the inner components most of us were kind of like...

"umm...WOW really?!"  O.o

and it seems we were all correct in saying it and feeling it, I mean doesn't it make you feel good to know your money is well spent and you wont ever feel like you paid too much?  :)

I paid my first CMOY on eBay for $80 a few years ago and it doesn't even come close to E11 in comparison. The advancement of technology and sound quality in the sub$100 amp category is amazing. E11 is simply setting up a new standard of what bang for the buck means, much like E7 has done for the AMP+DAC market. Remember that the same quality of sound would have cost at least twice as much from another company, but now they all have to lower their price or improve their quality because of what FiiO has done to the market.

May 13, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #270 of 1,271

Quote:

To clarify, I do listen to every headphone a person asked before answering (I generally do that for any question people ask me, not just for E11). Read the above for reason of answer. I do try to avoid creating FOTM as much as I can and there is always good reason not to post everything as either bad or great all the time in a forum like Head-fi.

Aha ! Then you wont mind giving my your impressions with the a-Jays3 !  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back