FiiO E09k announced (successor to E9)
Jun 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

yzap

New Head-Fier
FiiO announced the E09k on their Facebook page a few days ago. I noticed that no one had posted this to head-fi yet, so here I go. : )

They haven't shown a full spec sheet yet, but they have posted a handful of pictures with a high level overview of what the desktop amplifier has to offer.

The E09k photo gallery on the FiiO FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150923691634818.429886.293762709817&type=1

And the FiiO facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/FiiO/293762709817

I guess the e17 will soon have a new buddy to dock with? : )

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 56
Woo Hoo! I've been waiting for this since I got my E17! 
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 56
Here is some info - as far as current E9 user is concerned, E09K isn't an upgrade for SQ, The amp section of both models will be the same so they should more or less sound the same. Instead of calling E09K as E9's upgrade, the more correct term will be reversion. The actual parts that get upgraded are all in functionality that don't affect the SQ. The intension is to remake the E9 to more tightly integrated with E17, rearrange and remove some of the sockets and switches based on the feedback FiiO received back from dealer and customer.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 56
So it has the same 10 ohms out?  That would not be comforting.

It will still be there. In case you ever wonder, I asked them about using the same kind of ferrite mod NwAvGuy did on another DIY amp (cutting output impedance to near 0 ohm) and the reply is that can't be done on E9 (or E09K) because the feedback design are not the same. Also, this time FiiO takes away the 3.5mm socket and really making E09K more or less a dedicated amp for harder to drive full sized cans and let E17 or E07K (which will be the upgrade model of E7) to take care of all the other easier to drive cans. This is what I mean by tighter integration on previous post.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 56
They should redesign E11 by dumping the active ground channel and making it able to be used while charging.  IMHO.

I'm kind of surprised they're ditching the 3.5mm jack for this E09k though, since most updates generally don't involve taking away useful features.  But maybe people didn't really use it.  On a side note, pretty much every headphone out there with the 6.25mm jack natively, probably doesn't really mind the 10 ohms output impedance.  Also, what with the E9's high gain, it's not like you want to use it for BA IEMs anyway.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 56
To me, the update brings a clear message from FiiO. They finally realize that instead of trying to position E9 as a one-size-fits-all, it is better to put it on a category of its own as an amp for harder-to-drive headphone. That is what E9 was originally designed to be and putting a 3.5mm socket ended up confusing the buyer to think it would go great with IEM as well, which is definitely not the case since they already design E7 and E17 for that specific purpose. The new E09K just drive home that message.

Jun 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 56
I already own the E17 which is all I need for my current headphones (ATH-M50).

I didn't buy the E9 because I knew the new one was on the way and I didn't need it for my ATH-M50 headphones. The E09K makes a lot of sense for me when I'm ready to move up to headphones that might benefit from some more power since I already own the E17.

Some headphones I'm considering are the HE 400, HE 500, HD 650, HD 700, and LCD2. I'm sure some folks have tried some of these with the current E9. 

From anyone who's tried any of these with the current E9, do any of these pair particularly well with the E9? Are any of these five headphones a poor choice for pairing with the E9?

I know there are a lot of differences between these five headphones, but does anyone think one or two of them pairs particularly well with the E9?

Thanks. 

I listen to mostly rock, reggae, indie, etc., but some jazz and electronic stuff.

Jul 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 56
The E09k looks very interesting to me. Besides better integration with the e17 are there other reasons to buy the e09k over the E9? I just picked up an e17.

thanks...

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #15 of 56
Quote:
I already own the E17 which is all I need for my current headphones (ATH-M50).

I didn't buy the E9 because I knew the new one was on the way and I didn't need it for my ATH-M50 headphones. The E09K makes a lot of sense for me when I'm ready to move up to headphones that might benefit from some more power since I already own the E17.

Some headphones I'm considering are the HE 400, HE 500, HD 650, HD 700, and LCD2. I'm sure some folks have tried some of these with the current E9. 

From anyone who's tried any of these with the current E9, do any of these pair particularly well with the E9? Are any of these five headphones a poor choice for pairing with the E9?

I know there are a lot of differences between these five headphones, but does anyone think one or two of them pairs particularly well with the E9?

Thanks. 

I listen to mostly rock, reggae, indie, etc., but some jazz and electronic stuff.

I tried the HE500, LCD-2 revision 2, and HD650 with the E9.  The HD650 pairs the best, really good sound and I enjoyed it just as much as the Burson HA160.  The HE-500 and LCD-2 r2 sound decent on the E9.  I wouldn't rush out and buy an E9 for a either the HE-500 or LCD-2 r2.

Edit: I'm listening to the LCD-2 thru the E9 right now and it sounds really good, so don't listen to me.  Sure there are better amps out there but the E9 sure doesn't sound bad with these. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back