FIGHT THE BEATS HYPE (Ultrasone HFI-580/HFI 580 appreciation thread)
Apr 5, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #256 of 685
I don't want loose and flabby bass. I want a good pair that can handle more bass with a decent bass-boosting amp. I'm sure that is possible without ruining the SQ.

Apr 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #257 of 685

Quote:
Well I've never owned any of those.  It's not a horrific flab, just colored for a specific genre.  Let's call it loose shall we.  If it was completely terrible I wouldn't still own it.  Though I'm just more into the earpads tbh.

the ear breast's if you will, I will agree with the coloration.

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #258 of 685

Quote:
I guess I'll have to wait and see... I'm a bit of a basshead. The M50 was way too weak and I heard the 580 had only a bit more bass than that. Even the Crossfades didn't fully impress me.

I've listened to all three. M50 had potential, but I'm guessing needed amplification for bass knock. I A/B'ed the crossfades with my 580's.. wasn't a fan. Dark, warm sound with not much bass. Super comfy though

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #259 of 685
I have a couple of questions about the 580's, as I'm thinking of buying them. (I love phones with good bass)
1. How is the comfort? I like to relax while listening to music, and with my current big cans, the Sennheiser HD 25's it's often not possible cause I always notice the headphones pushing against my ears/head. Are 580 comfortable?
2. Are they small enough to use them in bed? I like to lie in bed with my head resting on a soft pillow while listening, so if they are too big that would be a problem.
3. Does the bass have a good punch (if it's mixed into the recording obviously)? I currently actually prefer IEMs to the HD 25's cause i can simply feel the bass more which i really like. (I'd be using a Sansa Clip+ as a source)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and answers

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #260 of 685

Quote:
I have a couple of questions about the 580's, as I'm thinking of buying them. (I love phones with good bass)
1. How is the comfort? I like to relax while listening to music, and with my current big cans, the Sennheiser HD 25's it's often not possible cause I always notice the headphones pushing against my ears/head. Are 580 comfortable?
2. Are they small enough to use them in bed? I like to lie in bed with my head resting on a soft pillow while listening, so if they are too big that would be a problem.
3. Does the bass have a good punch (if it's mixed into the recording obviously)? I currently actually prefer IEMs to the HD 25's cause i can simply feel the bass more which i really like. (I'd be using a Sansa Clip+ as a source)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and answers

1) I would say its 50/50, once the pads have some wear time they are pretty comfterbal.

2)Yea you can lay in bed with them on I have.

3)yes, they have the mid-bass slam you want.

Apr 13, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #261 of 685
I'm not sure about using the 580s w/ a Clip+ will produce your desired bass slam.  I didn't like the Clip+ w/ the M50s too much so never tried it w/ the 580s.

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #262 of 685
yea, it wont power the bass...oddly enough it powered the HD555's to a pretty full sound.

May 4, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #263 of 685
Question, where the heck?!?! did you guys find these headphones. I've been looking around and cannot find them for less than 149.99 a little bit above my budget. I think I'm going to have to "settle" for ATH-M50s 

May 4, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #264 of 685

Quote:
Question, where the heck?!?! did you guys find these headphones. I've been looking around and cannot find them for less than 149.99 a little bit above my budget. I think I'm going to have to "settle" for ATH-M50s 

$149 is the cheapest I've seen the HFI-580s. ATH-M50s were around $120 or so, but seem to have jumped up to around $160 (from large, reputable dealers, anyway). Just picked up a 580 myself since it's now cheaper than the M50 (at places I'd consider ordering from).

May 13, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #266 of 685
I have both and while the Clip+ does a decent job (esp if you eq) its missing alot of the impact.  Reccomend a portable amp if your just running Clip+.  At home my Xonar DG has more power than needed and my work laptop's onboard (nvida chipset) run them very well.  I just think the Clip doesn't have quite enough juice for these 50mm drivers

Quote:
I'm not sure about using the 580s w/ a Clip+ will produce your desired bass slam.  I didn't like the Clip+ w/ the M50s too much so never tried it w/ the 580s.

May 15, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #267 of 685
I made two friends into audiophiles within five minutes by letting them listen to the drop in Afrojack's "Replica" on full volume out of my HFI-580s. Now, both are looking into getting HFI-580s of their own, establishing budgets, reading comparisons... One even joined Head-Fi. There's no going back for him.
k701smile.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #269 of 685

Quote:

Maybe that's a little too late, but the Ultrasone DJ1s are cheaper!
DJ1s are HFI580 with different look and coiled cable.
You can find them for $140.00 shipped! http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRASONE-HEADPHONES-DJ1-NEW-SEALED-BOX-DJ-/320687086861?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item4aaa709d0d

Jun 13, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #270 of 685
(Copied from HFI-580 vs XB500 thread)

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I just received both of these phones. At least one of the two will be going back so I am currently comparing them to each other and my [relatively bass-anemic but fantastic mids/highs] HD595s.

I bought them for exclusive use with my EDM music, especially trance, house, and vocal trance. And after an initial listen (obviously without the benefit of burn-in), even after [foobar/software] eq-ing, I feel like the HFI-580 (DJ1) are superior phones. I quoted Scytus's line about Deadmau5's "Alone With You" because that track/record happens to be my all-time favorite (out of all genres). I've listened to it about a billion times. It sounded poor on the XB500s but fantastic on the Ultrasones. I just feel like the bass quality/detail as well as vastly superior mids/highs in the Ultrasones are what really sets these two phones apart.

These are just my opinions, and it should be noted that I don't consider my ears particularly trained in evaluating sonic qualities. FYI, I listen via my Thinkpad through Foobar (w/ ASIO4ALL) through a HRT Music Streamer II linked directly to the phones.

On a less important note, the XB500s probably have the edge in comfort, but I find my DJ1s are also comfortable (at least for the hour they've been on my head)-- though since they don't have giant pillows, the clamping force is greater. Additionally, the XB500s kind of look ridiculous on your head whilst the DJ1s look pretty darn stylish in my opinion. Of course, none of that matters if you don't plan on using these portably, as I don't. I have NuForce NE-6s and Shure SCL4s for that purpose.
atsmile.gif

Also, FWIW, I would just like to note that I have been through all the phones listed below in the past couple months. The conclusion I have reached is that the Ultrasone DJ1 / HFI-580 are the best of the bunch when it comes to playing EDM with enough physical comfort.

Sony ZX700
Sony V6
Creative Aurvana Live
Denon HP700
Beyerdynamic DJX-1
Ultrasone Pro550
Audio Technica M50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back