Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 7, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,181 of 6,413
Quote:
Too bad I'm not close enough to any of the locations where you'll be or I'd stop out and say hi.  Maybe I'll see what races are in your area since I have nothing planned until September and that's simply not possible 
biggrin.gif

Pulled from shotgunshane: "I'm not really understanding Tyll's impressions. He couldn't tell the tweeters are turned on? That makes zero sense to me. The AS-2 is nowhere near as dark as the ASG-1 and is brighter and the Westone uni's I've owned. That one is confusing."

This Exactly.  Granted I have the 1.2 but there's no comparison.  The AS-2 is brighter than the 1.2 and the Westone 4 I previously owned.  I think it's also more detailed than my PFE 232's.  Can't say more until I have my set back but Tyll's review left me dumbfounded.  

If you are between Chi town and Nashville we could let you have a listen to the ASG-2.

May 7, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #3,182 of 6,413
Quote:
If you are between Chi town and Nashville we could let you have a listen to the ASG-2.

I don't think Ohio is in your line of travel but no worries.  I'm sure I'll have the pleasure of meeting you guys at some point.  I think most locations would take you 2-3 hours out of your way. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,183 of 6,413
so what exactly is the address/place you guys are going to be in madison?  Also, any parking limitations that you guys know of?  Hopefully its at a park/alliant energy center or something, with a really big parking lot.

May 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #3,184 of 6,413
I am still waiting for the ASG-2 from the contest. I know I have said this before but I still can't wait. As I am a contest winner I don't really have anything to complain about. I just hope that everyone gets whatever they paid for in the end of the day. 

May 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3,185 of 6,413
I feel like Dale/other staff post here quite frequently to address everyone's complaints or constructive criticisms. Like kenman said, it seems like they're trying their best which is really all you can ask for.

They try to be responsive here, but they're selective. And maybe I've come to hold them to high standards, which is a good thing in my book, but I don't think what I said was without merit given that. The higher you fly, the further you have to fall seems apt here.

The company is still relatively young and I'm sure they are learning and improving all the time, from the good and the bad.

Yeah, the Flat-4 SUI has done a lot to recalibrate my expectations from a dynamic driver phone. And after having heard the FAD Heaven VI and owning the SM64, the ASG-2 is really gonna have to bring it in that price bracket to impress me. I'm sure it's up to the task though, from all I've read about it

I'll be looking forward to your impressions and hopefully some comparisons. I've been eyeballing a Flat-4 pretty intently lately.

May 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #3,186 of 6,413
Quote:
I'll be looking forward to your impressions and hopefully some comparisons. I've been eyeballing a Flat-4 pretty intently lately.

The Flat-4 has some pretty huge peaks and valleys in the FR. Bigger than just about any other totl iem that I've seen. It would be a stretch to call it hi-fi if accuracy is at all a concern.

May 7, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #3,187 of 6,413
Quote:
Too bad I'm not close enough to any of the locations where you'll be or I'd stop out and say hi.  Maybe I'll see what races are in your area since I have nothing planned until September and that's simply not possible 
biggrin.gif

Pulled from shotgunshane: "I'm not really understanding Tyll's impressions. He couldn't tell the tweeters are turned on? That makes zero sense to me. The AS-2 is nowhere near as dark as the ASG-1 and is brighter and the Westone uni's I've owned. That one is confusing."

This Exactly.  Granted I have the 1.2 but there's no comparison.  The AS-2 is brighter than the 1.2 and the Westone 4 I previously owned.  I think it's also more detailed than my PFE 232's.  Can't say more until I have my set back but Tyll's review left me dumbfounded.  

From what I've seen the biggest difference in the 1.2 and the 1.3 (to my ears) is overall tonal balance while still keeping the midrange bump for the purposes of being a stage monitor. They are better suited for a wider range. I can't wait to upgrade to ASG-2s, but the more I listen to my G-1.3s I feel like it won't be necessary for a while.

They are still on the warmer side, but the midrange gets pulled back and the highs open a bit after burn in. They are still rolled off and nonfatiguing. But it seems like its moving toward a balanced, almost neutral signature. 

May 7, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #3,189 of 6,413
Quote:
Tyll mentions he'll be sending in his pair and reporting back if his opinion changes when they come back, in his article. I think it will only be a matter of time before things are corrected/confirmed. It's a shame though that he didn't contact Aurisonics about it before posting his comments (apparently). Makes me question how much fact checking and everything else they do

Seriously? Nothing about this would make me question Tyll or Inner Fidelity. Lets take stock here, it seems like there's one of three possibilities with the pair Tyll had for review. First, there is nothing wrong with them, this is just how they sound. If that's the case then I question everything Aurisonics has said about this design. Second, he received a faulty pair that left the factory in this condition, or three, something happened to them in shipping. Either way the last two scenarios would make me question Aurisonics level of QA and/or design flaws causing failure.

As a professional reviewer it's Tyll's responsibility to not only report on what he hears but the overall quality of the product. So even if the pair proves to be faulty, as a potential customer this is something I would want to know about before investing my hard earned cash on them. You may not like that your beloved Aurisonics got a bad review but ultimately it's on them, not Tyll. Trying to shift the blame and make Tyll look bad is in extremely poor taste in my opinion.

May 7, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3,190 of 6,413
+1000.
Seriously? Nothing about this would make me question Tyll or Inner Fidelity. Lets take stock here, it seems like there's one of three possibilities with the pair Tyll had for review. First, there is nothing wrong with them, this is just how they sound. If that's the case then I question everything Aurisonics has said about this design. Second, he received a faulty pair that left the factory in this condition, or three, something happened to them in shipping. Either way the last two scenarios would make me question Aurisonics level of QA and/or design flaws causing failure.

As a professional reviewer it's Tyll's responsibility to not only report on what he hears but the overall quality of the product. So even if the pair proves to be faulty, as a potential customer this is something I would want to know about before investing my hard earned cash on them. You may not like that your beloved Aurisonics got a bad review but ultimately it's on them, not Tyll. Trying to shift the blame and make Tyll look bad is in extremely poor taste in my opinion.

May 7, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3,191 of 6,413
Quote:
Tyll mentions he'll be sending in his pair and reporting back if his opinion changes when they come back, in his article. I think it will only be a matter of time before things are corrected/confirmed. It's a shame though that he didn't contact Aurisonics about it before posting his comments (apparently). Makes me question how much fact checking and everything else they do

Aurisonics already suspects faulty glue.

May 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #3,192 of 6,413
Quote:
Aurisonics already suspects faulty glue.

Look, I am not saying that he shouldn't post, but when something sounds off and you are in the audio world where BA's can go bad quite easily, If I were doing a review I would at least contact the company to ask if their were a way to tell if everything is fine. I question his fact checking because he mentions Heir Audio being a Korean company in his video as well as a few other mistaken attributions to things.

May 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #3,193 of 6,413
Quote:
biggrin.gif

I think you guys don't understand how much driver overlap exist in most of these designs. it would still have highs, just less of them. You also have to consider the likelihood of a pair that Aurisionics confirmed was shipped in working order having both channels go bad in the same way before a listen. If only one channel went bad, Tyll would have heard it and delayed his review.

Aurisonis has given an explanation of how the tweeter can become disconnected in shipping. That it would happen to both isn't on Tyll nor to honest, very comforting. Other companies get pounded for shipping damage when there isn't a discovered build issue like here yet theresponsibility here seems to directed at a very well established reviewer. I'm sure that if it's discovered that they were defective, Tyll will addendum or even redo the review. This is like blaming somebody for getting hit by a drunk driver for crossing the street with the light. Stuff happens, Aurisonics seems to be on top of this so shouldn't be dragged over the coals but either should Tyll. Noting about the pair he had shouted defective unless he knew the sig to be different ahead of time. Without a previously controlled listen, there's no way.

At this point, Tyll should actually listen to another borrowed set and keep the manufacturer out of the loop. It would take all variables out of the equation.

May 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM Post #3,194 of 6,413
Quote:
Look, I am not saying that he shouldn't post, but when something sounds off and you are in the audio world where BA's can go bad quite easily, If I were doing a review I would at least contact the company to ask if their were a way to tell if everything is fine. I question his fact checking because he mentions Heir Audio being a Korean company in his video as well as a few other mistaken attributions to things.

This just sounds bitter. Innerfidelity is the best objective review site on the web and has some of the best associates now participating. Take a look at the consistency of rankings and described sig among the 5 independent reviewers and you can remove bias or preference from the equation. Some things are simply better.

BAs don't go bad quite easily. Stuff happens and gets corrected and even Aurisonics suspects a different component as the culprit. I would never assume a bad BA if both sides of my earphones sounded the same. The odds of both sides going bad in an identical way are quite remote without a built in issue. Aurisonics seems to think there was one that they have now corrected. We'll find out if that's the case in time. Until then, we shouldn't be spinning incompetence at extremely well respected reviewers. It's a cheap shot and reflects more on those making the comment. When all your fact checking is perfect, maybe then cast the first stone.

May 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #3,195 of 6,413
I just wanted to say that my comment about Tyll's review was just my thoughts. It was nothing against him - I was just confused as I was reading it. He's entitled to write about what he heard, though, and I do look forward to seeing what he thinks if he gets to hear a different pair.

I'm interested in the 1.3 but I may actually sell my 1.2's as I just don't know how much I can justify spending or keeping. It is nice to have options when you don't want to take your high-end pair somewhere. I'll just have to see what the upgrade is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back