Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #3,211 of 6,413
Quote:
And your austere hostility towards them is equally amazing.

This Tyll gentleman did everything right imo. Not sure why everyone is up in arms.

I am not hostile towards them. I was going to get a pair of AS2 then decided against it before I hear more.  I do think that fans on this thread will defend almost anything and I find it "interesting".

I have my opinion but have never expressed anything excessive on this thread. If I was to say what I really think on this thread (or others), I would be attacked by fans quite quickly and it would not serve any purpose.

May 8, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #3,212 of 6,413
It's a pity that this thread always devolves into the literary equivalent of a dog chasing its tail. I'm pretty sure that all parties understand what's involved. Let's please just leave it at that.

Dale has initiated the process of getting Tyll a proper/different set. We'll see what happens in the coming days.

May 8, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #3,213 of 6,413
Not that I'm innocent or anything, and not to instigate something else, but just this thread?

The portables section is reaching critical mass in two main contentious situations, (1) when there are very outspoken detractors or exponents of a product or company, or (2) when the devout pro and nay to measurements people butt heads. It's kind of becoming a thing around here.

I just don't like logical fallacies fwiw.

Edit: I think goodvibes made a very good point that Tyll should get a pair from a third party if possible to have a cursory listen. I know it's a custom so cursory is all that's possible but it's a very elegant and objective solution to get a point of reference for his pair before and after it comes back to him from the company. I don't see it happening but it really is a great idea.

May 8, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #3,214 of 6,413
Quote:
Not that I'm innocent or anything, and not to instigate something else, but just this thread?

The portables section is reaching critical mass in two main contentious situations, (1) when there are very outspoken detractors or exponents of a product or company, or (2) when the devout pro and nay to measurements people butt heads. It's kind of becoming a thing around here.

I just don't like logical fallacies fwiw.

Exactly. I my early days on hf, when the members would discuss more without personal attacks.

May 8, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #3,215 of 6,413
Yea, those were nice. I feel like the forum, this section at least, will be coming up on a delicate tipping point soon enough.
Also, how the heck did you rack up over 4k posts? Lol

May 8, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #3,216 of 6,413
Quote:
Yea, those were nice. I feel like the forum, this section at least, will be coming up on a delicate tipping point soon enough.
Also, how the heck did you rack up over 4k posts? Lol

I blinked, and boom. There's no cake when you turn supremus though. I hear Jude passes out free UERMs to people who get 35K posts. That's where I'm headed.

May 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,217 of 6,413
No cake huh... I guess I'll just go at my current leisurely pace and be right there with you in about... 20 years give or take.

May 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3,218 of 6,413
Well guys, I just met up with Dale today in madison, wi.  Even though they shut down for the day, Dale was patient enough and waited for me to get off work and showed me the Aurisonic ASG-2's. He waited roughly an hour.  He even offered to come to my work place!  But then again I'd get fired if something like that happened haha, so I just met up with him at the original spot.  He did say that he liked the attention Aurisonics was getting by the audiophile crowd even though his products are more for musicians.  And by talking to him, I got a sense that he really cared about customers and potential customers.  Bottom line, he's an outstanding guy who just unfortunately can't please everyone, but he sure tries!

Anyway I'm not a pro reviewer, and I only have my xba 40's to compare with, but I did get to try out the ASG-2 for about 30-45 minutes.  I also bought along my JDS C5 amp, Ipod nano 7th gen and a Fiio LOD cable. 

Quickly I just wanna say that the fit is really comfortable, Dale said he took comparisons/scans of thousands of ears(or did he say skulls? can't remember haha) and made a mold of what would fit most peoples ears.  Well, it worked for me. 

Also I have heard the as-2's through a friend of a friend whom I paid 20 bucks before, they sound almost the same.  But the difference was that Dale allowed me to play with the bass ports which was really awesome.  Basically the Bass is extremely powerful with the ports fully open + JDS c5 bass boost.  The iems actually shook and rattled in my ear, its just that powerful.  It's got a strong punch.  With a bass heavy track, there was no distortion with listening levels.  It did start to distort when I turned up the volume to dangerous levels, but nobody will listen to them that high.  Compared to the sony xba 40's the bass was definitely stronger and punchier, and did feel very dynamic.  And with the bass ports fully open, the tracks did get pretty warm and the treble took a step back. Also I felt that it had more midbass and less sub bass than my xba 40's.  Or maybe the sub bass was there, but my brain was just too rattled up to detect it.

With the bass ports fully closed, there was NO distortion with the JDS c5 bass boost with volume on full blast, with a bass heavy track which was really refreshing, because the bass was still pretty powerful.  In the closed position, the music was very clear, and there was definitely no sibilance even at high volumes.  I did play some classical and acoustic music (ports closed, no bass boost on), and compared to my xba 40's they sounded neutral and maybe even a bit warm which I don't think is really good for this genre of music.  In other genres though, the singers are put up front and the voices were very clear and just sounded excellent. 

The ASG-2 felt like a different iem with the bass ports fully open vs fully closed.  And even though I consider myself a bass head, I preferred the ports fully closed, not even a bit open.  Hearing the ASG-2's, I can definitely say that it's a great IEM, but it's not for everyone.  I found that music with lots of bass, and vocals sounded great on these iems just because of the way the voices are presented.  If you want screeching highs and really powerful treble, you wont like these.  If you are looking for neutral-ish with a bit of bass, then perhaps the asg-2's are right for you!

Did I like these more than my sony xba 40's?  I wanted to say yes, but sorry Dale -- after thinking over it for a few hours, I prefer my xba 40's.  And it really made me think that maybe I am a treble head AND a bass head.  The main reason for me preferring the 40's is just because I like the bass control and detail of BA drivers, and classical/accoustic just sounded a bit more musical.  But I'll say this again, perhaps I'm just one of those guys that like a V/U shaped sound.  The ASG-2 sounded very neutral/flat in comparison (Which I know alot of people do like), except with more powerful bass.

Also, this testing was done with a JDS c5 amp, an ipod nano 7th gen + a LOD cable.  I didn't want to hold Dale up, so I didn't bother not using an amp because an ipod isn't exactly the best source.  That being said, the ASG-2 sound may be different without an amp.

May 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #3,219 of 6,413
Thanks for taking the time to write all that up. Nice impressions.

Did you feel the ASG-2 has a much more rounded note presentation than the XBA-40?

May 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,222 of 6,413
Something like they both have all the detail but one seems like the notes are sharper sounding, like the leading edge of notes seems sharper or peakier?
If you didn't hear them as very different then then that's what I'm hoping for.

May 8, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #3,223 of 6,413
Something like they both have all the detail but one seems like the notes are sharper sounding, like the leading edge of notes seems sharper or peakier?

If you're looking for an IEM with that sharpness, the ASG-1.1 would have worked. An Etymotic or HiFiMan IEM may also suffice. Phonaks PFE1xx wth grey filters would also do well.

May 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #3,224 of 6,413
Quote:

I would have to say that the notes are more realistic(analytical?) sounding than the xba 40's, and maybe a bit sharper.  The drums and cymbals have a more noticeable impact, But overall was definitely not peaky-er.  The whole time, I felt the ASG-2's never came close to sibilant.  The xba 40's have been said to be very colorful (perhaps unnaturally so), and I guess I just liked that more.

May 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #3,225 of 6,413
Interesting interesting. Thanks. Great to read about the comfort too.
The XBA-4 is an odd bird, but I like it for certain things.

If you're looking for an IEM with that sharpness, the ASG-1.1 would have worked. An Etymotic or HiFiMan IEM may also suffice. Phonaks PFE1xx wth grey filters would also do well.

That's just the thing, the ASG-1 doesn't do it at all, at least not mine. I don't want an extreme amount but I want some and the crossover less design had me worried becuase it would still have that underlying the sound. I can only describe it as it sounds like the ASG-1 uses a smoother more powerful drive unit with a lower maximum output, similar to a modern turbo diesel car engine for lack of a better comparison. The FX700 for example is at the very other end of that spectrum, more like a quick and high revving V8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back