Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3,196 of 6,413
Even if it turns out to be a QC problem, Tyll was acting responsibly by reporting it. Others could be experiencing the same issue and thinking it's just the way it is and not knowing that it's fixable.

In the feedback section of Tyll's article, a person who enjoys their AS-2 wrote that they didn't think it was suitable for all genres.

I suppose when an earphone is mild across the spectrum, you can throw any track at it and it will stay controlled. But when an earphone excels at something (in this case, apparently, bass) then it is not unreasonable to expect that some tracks will seem to get out of hand.

I'm guessing the AS-2 would be good at Rap and Hip-Hop where over-the-top bass is where it's at (and is expected and desired).

May 7, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #3,197 of 6,413
Oh good, it was becoming a witch hunt in here. I think mimouille, elnero, and goodvibes all made really good points.

Tyll got a set, doesn't like how it sounds. He makes a pretty good gesture towards Aurisonics by assuming it should be better than it sounds, I'd say. Then says it might be broken. He will find out and update.

How is this wrong or bad journalism???

His responsibility is not toward the companies. It's not to save or make them another penny. It's toward his readers and ultimately the "truth," which in the case of sound would be as objective an impression as he could give. He reported on what he heard, even gave the company the benefit of the doubt, and promised he would update if things changed.

Assuming that people wouldn't understand that it's tentative is insulting your possible customers' capacity to think. And people have a right to know that his pair did not sound good to him for whatever reason.

You won't always cover every base in engineering something as anyone who has seen a car recall or software update should know, so it's about how you respond. I'm glad that Aurisonics is on top of it but I don't like the implication of Tyll should have called us first. Just being on top of it would be enough for me.

May 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #3,198 of 6,413
I'll bet the same problem that Tyll's pair had was the same as mine, highs just weren't there except from the dynamic.  Mines back in the shop, so hopefully upon return they will sound just like Flysweep's review said they sound.

May 7, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,199 of 6,413
The Flat-4 has some pretty huge peaks and valleys in the FR. Bigger than just about any other totl iem that I've seen. It would be a stretch to call it hi-fi if accuracy is at all a concern.

Thanks for looking out! :beerchug:

Accuracy is fortunately not a part of my equation here. I'll take another look at Rin's write-up, but honestly I'm more interested in the design concept and how it sounds.

May 7, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #3,200 of 6,413
Quote:
Oh good, it was becoming a witch hunt in here. I think mimouille, elnero, and goodvibes all made really good points.

Tyll got a set, doesn't like how it sounds. He makes a pretty good gesture towards Aurisonics by assuming it should be better than it sounds, I'd say. Then says it might be broken. He will find out and update.

How is this wrong or bad journalism???

His responsibility is not toward the companies. It's not to save or make them another penny. It's toward his readers and ultimately the "truth," which in the case of sound would be as objective an impression as he could give. He reported on what he heard, even gave the company the benefit of the doubt, and promised he would update if things changed.

Assuming that people wouldn't understand that it's tentative is insulting your possible customers' capacity to think. And people have a right to know that his pair did not sound good to him for whatever reason.

You won't always cover every base in engineering something as anyone who has seen a car recall or software update should know, so it's about how you respond. I'm glad that Aurisonics is on top of it but I don't like the implication of Tyll should have called us first. Just being on top of it would be enough for me.

Thanks for saying this.  There was no way for Tyll to know how they should have sounded, that's the entire idea of reviewing them, to figure that out.  He simply stated what he heard.  I'm sure that he tried to use the ear simulator to find some oddity with the IEM.  But couldn't (I'm assuming all 4 BA's dropped).  Since each earpiece measured somewhat similarly, he assumed that it was the way it was tuned originally. 

Still, he had some doubt in his mind that it might be "off", so he did mention it. 

Remember a few things about Tyll, he doesn't read through other's impressions, or even if he does, he goes off of a clean slate when he writes his reviews (how it should be done).  That said, he trusts no information out there except his own findings (if he did use anyone else's info, he'd have to cite it in his review). 

May 7, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #3,201 of 6,413
Quote:
So Tyll gets a crappy pair and it is somehow his fault to post about it. The amount of goodwill towards Aurisonics for nor apparent reason on this thread is quite amazing. This company is quite lucky to have such customers.

And your austere hostility towards them is equally amazing.

This Tyll gentleman did everything right imo. Not sure why everyone is up in arms.

May 7, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,202 of 6,413
Quote:
And your austere hostility towards them is equally amazing.

This Tyll gentleman did everything right imo. Not sure why everyone is up in arms.

I think things got a little out of hand. I merely meant if he's gonna comment that he's gonna send them in to Aurisonics after the review to make sure everything is okay, why not email Aurisonics and see if their are any known issues? Then report back to the readers/update your review before posting. 

Yes, his review, if it turns out the drivers were bad, would help with those that get their set that are also having problems. But he never really indicated that they were defective, just that he was going to send in his pair. That is the only thing I felt he did wrong. Everything else was fine, including what he said he would do if it turns out they are in fact a defective set. But seeing as we found out quite immediately that their was a batch with a defective part that has been wreaking havoc on IEM's during shipping, I would only assume the same information would have been relayed to him through a simple email (or even called their phone number). Then he could have directly said that he has talked to Aurisonics and they believe their might be a defective part in his set. 

Sorry, apparently from now on I will have to be more specific......like when I describe the Earth I will have to talk about protons and electrons that make up everything and explain everything in between......

May 7, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3,203 of 6,413
Quote:
I think things got a little out of hand. I merely meant if he's gonna comment that he's gonna send them in to Aurisonics after the review to make sure everything is okay, why not email Aurisonics and see if there are any known issues? Then report back to the readers/update your review before posting. 

Yes, his review, if it turns out the drivers were bad, would help with those that get their set that are also having problems. But he never really indicated that they were defective, just that he was going to send in his pair. That is the only thing I felt he did wrong. Everything else was fine, including what he said he would do if it turns out they are in fact a defective set. But seeing as we found out quite immediately that there was a batch with a defective part that has been wreaking havoc on IEM's during shipping, I would only assume the same information would have been relayed to him through a simple email (or even called their phone number). Then he could have directly said that he has talked to Aurisonics and they believe there might be a defective part in his set. 

Sorry, apparently from now on I will have to be more specific......like when I describe the Earth I will have to talk about protons and electrons that make up everything and explain everything in between......

off-topic, but it has been killing me :3

May 7, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #3,204 of 6,413
Quote:

off-topic, but it has been killing me :3

I put them their just to annoy you.... lol

Let's get back to the Aurisonics talk though. I'm glad their are no arguments about what I said in correction of my original statement that started this tangent.

May 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,205 of 6,413
I think things got a little out of hand. I merely meant if he's gonna comment that he's gonna send them in to Aurisonics after the review to make sure everything is okay, why not email Aurisonics and see if their are any known issues? Then report back to the readers/update your review before posting. 

Yes, his review, if it turns out the drivers were bad, would help with those that get their set that are also having problems. But he never really indicated that they were defective, just that he was going to send in his pair. That is the only thing I felt he did wrong. Everything else was fine, including what he said he would do if it turns out they are in fact a defective set. But seeing as we found out quite immediately that their was a batch with a defective part that has been wreaking havoc on IEM's during shipping, I would only assume the same information would have been relayed to him through a simple email (or even called their phone number). Then he could have directly said that he has talked to Aurisonics and they believe their might be a defective part in his set. 

Maybe there was a set and promised publish deadline. Who knows, but the end result will be the same. And I'm sure he would have done it the same way for any of the manufacturers.

Why would he indicate that they were defective if he didn't know that to be true?
And that sort of confirmation, if that was indeed the case, would have held back the article for days at the least. All we have right now are assumptions.

Edit: Sorry, I'm a little slow lol, but just this one. And removed a stupid little comment.

May 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #3,206 of 6,413
Fine fine, so has anyone else noticed large changes to the ASG-1 through non-portable sources?

They tightened up A LOT for me, sharper leading edges and better treble presence. More balance and clarity overall. Very good stuff. They've lost their travel appeal now lol.

May 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #3,207 of 6,413
What does it matter? Not every review will be positive. In the event that they weren't defective and Tyll just honestly didn't like the sound, then that review might help someone else. Though it does seem that it was defective, as they weren't that dark when I demoed them at the NY meet they were pushing towards warm, but not overly so. They had a signature that I enjoyed. In any case, Tyll is a fair and honest reviewer. If they were defective then he'll revise his review. If they weren't then he just didn't like them, which as shocking as that might be, does happen. Not everyone hears the same. The trick is really finding a reviewer who shares your preferences. But keep in mind, not one reviewer in the world is unbiased as I've said previously in this thread. There is no such thing as a completely objective review on headphones since hearing is subjective. And our preferences and our hearing is molded over our lifetimes. And how we describe sound is dependent on what we have heard and what we have been told certain things are. Tyll does a good job explaining how he hears things and why he likes it or why he doesn't like it. He even suggests why certain other people might like it (which is impossible to really know since it is all conjecture on his part)

On the whole though each review paints a picture for people to understand and know the product they will potentially buy. Positive or negative all help. 

Honestly when I get upgraded these might be my perfect UIEMs at a really great price. Though I might get a pair of Tzar 350s for reference pair since I've heard fantastic things about them. And honestly I feel like I need a fully BA IEM even though I favor dynamic drivers. (though I may look at other 3 and 4 BA UIEMs) Which will effectively end my IEM journey until I'm ready to drop the cash on CIEMs. 

May 7, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3,209 of 6,413
Quote:

HE DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THEY WERE DEFECTIVE, THAT'S WHY HE MADE THAT STATEMENT.  NO ONE will know for sure until Aurisonics gets their hands on it.  That type of information (about the defects) generally isn't relayed to anyone unless that person makes a complaint that's related to it.  There is no reason to say a product could be defective, it's actually a turn off to both buyers and reviewers.  He wasn't told anything about the defect. 

The fact of the matter is that he felt that the drivers were tuned the way they were meant to sound, that's that.  He was unaware of what the signature was supposed to be (even when told, he wouldn't trust it, I don't trust signatures manufacturers give either personally).  If he had heard treble drop from one, but not the other, he would have contacted Aurisonics right away.  But BOTH (possibly) dropped which made it seem like it was tuned that way. 

Did Tyll do anything wrong?  NO, he didn't.  He did everything a normal reviewer does.  Give his opinions regardless of how positive or negative it is.  Would I have handled it the same way as Tyll, no (but that doesn't mean he did anything wrong).

May 7, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,210 of 6,413
Agreed.  Tyll did zero wrong.  This conversation wouldn't even be happening if certain voices were not rabid apologists for a company run by an intelligent man capable of defending himself.

At the end of the day we'll learn if the sample was faulty or just not to the reviewer's taste.  There's little more useful to be said before that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back