Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Oct 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #1,816 of 6,413
That's what I meant. I've had many a warranty from different companies go bye-bye thank to what they considered "abuse" which was only regular proper use. In this case, you are purposely messing with the cosmetics and potentially changing the shape, so yea, it's definitely a possibility. Just making sure people are aware of this risk. Someone wanting to try this may want to contact Aurisonics and find out what the repercussions may be from such a modification.
Quote:

Changing the shape of the shell will mess with fit.  It counts as abuse in many aspects.  Which normally isn't covered.  IDK if Dale would support it (he's a really nice guy, so he may replace it under warranty when something happens, but don't count on it).  

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #1,819 of 6,413
Hmm. That is a true issue that I never truly considered. so WARNING, THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

The thing is, the buffers don't actually change the shape of the shell. Others besides the Revlon ones may as they actually have a side that acts like a sand paper but the benefits of the Revlon one is that it extremely fine in terms what it does remove (basically negligible). In fact, when I examine them closely, all the original ridges of the 3D printing process are still all present, but the whole thing is just.... shiny? But as it stands, the difference in appearance is extremely dramatic, these have the high quality gloss finish of any acrylic customs. However, obviously my warranty will be void now if this does happen to be a violation of the policies. However, I must also point out that this is something that for me is 85-95% undo-able, All you need to do is take the sandpapery side of a 4sided nail buffer and run it through and it losses all the shine and looks pretty much like the original product. 

On a likewise note, for a more stinky and less damaging option to get the same results, one just needs to go out and purchase a clear shiny base coat nail gloss and apply it over the desired areas of the IEM. This is 100% removeable with acetone but it gives the same high gloss look as the buffers do. The only difference is that this can chip with regular use (its nail polish...) and you have to wait for it to dry and your ASGs will smell like nail polish for a few days. Should be dermatologically safe and trace free. Like in the OP links, someone had used nail polish to beautifully paint in the AS symbols for their IEMs which I have yet to successfully do as it is a seriously difficult skill to not let paint spill outside the ridges. 

But To address Tone Seeker. I did this with the entire IEM, So the whole shell is very clear and see through. Shining the back does very little for the aesthetics as everything inside is frosted over to prevent one from seeing the internals of the headphones so I actually "unshined them" as they still looked better frosted.

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,822 of 6,413
Quote:
Is there a easy way to identify a ASG-1.2 model unit from the previous versions, just by looking at it's shell (outside)? 

Blue and red dots on the inside, top of the shell to identify left and right markers respectively.  There is also a black filter inside the nozzle.  

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #1,823 of 6,413
Just stumbled upon the logo issue. 

Apparently a music group called Aurosonic has the exact same logo. And they was formed in 2005. Wonder what will happen. Hope This will not delay orders and the release of ASG-2.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,824 of 6,413
Aurisonics is on it, changes happening, site is currently down if you have noticed that, but I have talked to Aurisonics about the situation already and I wouldn't worry about it at all. I've been told more will come soon, but that's about all that's happening right now. Site should be back up soon(ish) AFAIK
Quote:
Just stumbled upon the logo issue. 

Apparently a music group called Aurosonic has the exact same logo. And they was formed in 2005. Wonder what will happen. Hope This will not delay orders and the release of ASG-2.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #1,826 of 6,413
Like in the OP links, someone had used nail polish to beautifully paint in the AS symbols for their IEMs which I have yet to successfully do as it is a seriously difficult skill to not let paint spill outside the ridges. 

That was me. The trick is to actually paint over the symbols and make sure the grooves constituting the AS logo are filled. Don't worry about the paint spilling out, you'll need a small flat craft brush to dip in acetone to carefully clean the excess off. Since the AS logo is recessed, if you're careful, the brush will only clean off the excess paint above the AS logo. Since the paint is one hundred percent removable, you can start over if you mess up so don't worry. Once done, you'll want to let it all dry for a few hours and seal it all with a good clear top coat. Don't cheap out on that top coat if you want the results to last, get OPI brand or something similar that's resistant to chipping. My ASG still looks the same as when I first modded it, and it's completely reversible as its just nail polish. Also, I'm not one hundred percent sure, but Dale might have liked the results of my black and red shell as one of the newly unveiled Aurisonics custom shells is a black shell with a red AS logo :D

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,827 of 6,413
I ordered a set of that new aesthetic option. What Dale is doing is a bit more advanced than what you're doing. But then again, he's the manufacturer. Not sure if it was Dale liked your craftiness, or rather Dale had that in the plans already. Either way, the fact that their is a mod that is 100% reversible does give people the option to do such things if they really desire. I always felt the AS logo should be black on the ASG-1. Then again, i've never seen a set in person.
Quote:
That was me. The trick is to actually paint over the symbols and make sure the grooves constituting the AS logo are filled. Don't worry about the paint spilling out, you'll need a small flat craft brush to dip in acetone to carefully clean the excess off. Since the AS logo is recessed, if you're careful, the brush will only clean off the excess paint above the AS logo. Since the paint is one hundred percent removable, you can start over if you mess up so don't worry. Once done, you'll want to let it all dry for a few hours and seal it all with a good clear top coat. Don't cheap out on that top coat if you want the results to last, get OPI brand or something similar that's resistant to chipping. My ASG still looks the same as when I first modded it, and it's completely reversible as its just nail polish. Also, I'm not one hundred percent sure, but Dale might have liked the results of my black and red shell as one of the newly unveiled Aurisonics custom shells is a black shell with a red AS logo
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #1,828 of 6,413
... as opposed to the company headquartered in NY called Aurisonic, incorporated in 1982?

Of course they closed up shop a few years ago.  But in terms of names, I'd suggest being less critical of a small company in the central USA missing the existence of a Russian rock band... or of a company in NY with the same name 30 years ago.  I've seen some of the biggest companies in the world stumble.  

And having been part of many product and company naming teams, where each time we paid two different law firms tens of thousands of dollars and STILL ended up with a problem not discovered for years... I'm a) sympathetic, and b) impressed at the immediate diligence being shown.

You almost have to have monkeys peck randomly at a keyboard to come up with a product name that no one else is close to. And as to the logo - the tendency of graphical designers to follow trends has long been a problem. Been there, done that too.  The liquid A and S follows a pretty popular design/typography concept. Took me about 10 minutes to find another similar type style in use as a logo elsewhere... just not an A and S.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #1,829 of 6,413
The new logo looks pretty sick. Check it out on their Facebook page. Their site's servers are getting an upgrade right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back