Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Apr 17, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #5,327 of 6,413
  From what i understood the screw is the bass knob. When you turn it in the universal ones it opens an air path. In the customs you can turn it all the way till it comes off.

So you can only take out the screw when the port is Fully 100% opened? cause if you turn it halfway, you can't take it out if I understand it correctly

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #5,329 of 6,413
  Yes and without the screw you have an even greater port for air x)

Other members of this thread please correct me if i'm wrong

Cause I had the ASG-2.5 before, and when I turned the dial to the max, the Bass is insane, it pounds my ears so hard.  So I can't imagine how harder it would be on the Custom 2.5 with the port even more Open?

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #5,330 of 6,413
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here:

The bass port is just an aperture into which a screw is set. The depth of the screw in the valve determines the bass response. On a generic 2.5, there is a maximum 'open' setting, beyond which turning the screw simply damages the mechanism; However, on a custom, there is nothing to prevent the user from opening the valve by removing the screw entirely. This is not advised.

This also means that the user must pay attention a bit more closely to ensure matched valve settings in each ear. I find the total removal of the screw much more useful on the ambient port than the bass port, but it is important to note that it is applicable to both by design.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #5,332 of 6,413
Following up, the screw would still be inside the valve and simply open enough for full exposure of the bass canal (you can see right down into it). Total removal of the bass screw goes beyond the intended maximum and sounds a bit weird.

You can pop out the ambient screw with no issues relative to its maximum open setting with the screw in, though.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #5,333 of 6,413
Following up, the screw would still be inside the valve and simply open enough for full exposure of the bass canal (you can see right down into it). Total removal goes beyond the intended maximum and sounds a bit weird.

What about if you only turn the screw to like almost fully open, like not 100% open but close to it on the Custom 2.5, would it give you more bass than when u turn the screw to max on the Generic 2.5? since the Generic 2.5 screw maximum is only go to 180 turn, and on the custom 2.5 it can go 360 turn.  But in this example, let say the screw on the Custom 2.5 doesn't go all the way 360, but like let say 300 degree, would it give more bass than the Generic 2.5 with the screw on Max?

Does anyon in here that bought a Custom 2.5 and can post a picture of the bass p ort and the ambient port as well?

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #5,334 of 6,413
Again, it's all about internal air volume, and that's modified by the depth of the screw. Each custom will have a slightly different total canal depth where the port is due to differing ear anatomy.

What is for certain is that you can achieve greater volume with the screw still in the housing with the custom, but how much more is determined by your ear shape. The customs exactly match the generics in bass response if the screw is just open far enough to expose the entirety of the canal. Any further than that with the screw still in will give you what you're looking for, but unless you have giant ears it won't be too much :)

And I'll post pics when mine get back from TN if no one else has had a chance to do so. Much respect~

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #5,335 of 6,413
Again, it's all about internal air volume, and that's modified by the depth of the screw. Each custom will have a slightly different total canal depth where the port is due to differing ear anatomy.

What is for certain is that you can achieve greater volume with the screw still in the housing with the custom, but how much more is determined by your ear shape. The customs exactly match the generics in bass response if the screw is just open far enough to expose the entirety of the canal. Any further than that with the screw still in will give you what you're looking for, but unless you have giant ears it won't be too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok thank you for the infos.  How do you know about these stuff? do you have a custom 2.5? just wondering.

Also, is the Ambient port work the same? like it has a screw and you can turn it to let how much ambient sound get in?

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,336 of 6,413
Yes, a set of custom 2.5s alongside many other AS ears and much commiserating with the guys in TN.

The ambient port is much more for individuals who use these for playback when singing or playing brass/wind instruments where there would otherwise be a feeling of 'stuffiness' or occlusion due to the perfect seal afforded by the custom fit. It does not provide the kind of openness or passive noise change that is useful from a casual point of view, nor does it make them safe for use while cycling if you weren't comfortable with it beforehand. Maybe +4db? I'm hazarding a guess. After a long practice session (singing), I never got the head pressure effect, though :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #5,337 of 6,413
Yea I know it can go even further than the asg 2.5, but you said take out the screw? that's the part im confused. TAke out what screw?

The screw you turn the bass port. Removing it - again not possible on the 2.5 - the screw has no lock, like in the 2.5 so you can unscrew it until it comes out of the housing and can be removed.

Cheers.

Apr 19, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #5,339 of 6,413
Has anyone seen a frequency graph for the Forte (soon to be fxa6)?  I noticed someone referred to these as v-shaped but was curious how drastic the treble boost is.
In no eay is it a V shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back