Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Apr 22, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #5,357 of 6,413
Yeah foams can be a pain in the ass and start to get pretty expensive (relatively speaking. I suppose the one thing that has become cumbersome with foams is the amount of time it takes to insert them. I've been finding myself getting interrupted lately and being able to take iems on and off easily is becoming more and more attractive.

So about those spiral dots, I just took a look at them. Is there anything there to the dots and how they help to reduce noise reflection and all this jazz? Or is that like asking someone if burn-in is real?

I'm thinking I'll start experimenting with different silicones, but keep foams on deck for when I know I am going in for long listening sessions.

I honestly think that it's a matter of getting the proper insertion depth and seal. Though I have some weird problems with the harmony where tips with narrow bores muffles the sound a bit (pretty much the only IEM I've experienced this with, must be the way they sit in my ear), which isn't a problem with the wide bore spiral dots.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,359 of 6,413
I really wish you wouldn't have posted this because now i am contemplating returning my fxa2's and buying this deal instead. The only thing i am trying to assess is what signnature changes I can expect. I am actually really loving the sig of the fxa2s right now. I am coming from using shures for a while and have become accustomed to really great and present mids. The mids certainly take a bit of a backseat with these fxas compared to the 846S. They sound just a tad constrained. However, I feel the bass and soundstaging is better with the kickers than the 846s! Is that crazy?!!

So thes "kickers" i have....what changes are between these and the fortes? I prefer iems with veiled or recessed highs due to fatigue and ear sensitivity. Are the mids pushed more forward?

Jmills, care to comment? From what i have read in this thread, you have owned a lot of these iems including some of my favorites like the 846s.

This is exactly what I did. Without trying to goad you I will say the Forte is a very clear upgrade from the kicker and the bass stays the same. Treble is not hot at all and retains an overall smooth signature with much more striking reproduction.

I'm not a used car salesman, I swear, I merely love my new IEM's.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #5,360 of 6,413
I honestly think that it's a matter of getting the proper insertion depth and seal. Though I have some weird problems with the harmony where tips with narrow bores muffles the sound a bit (pretty much the only IEM I've experienced this with, must be the way they sit in my ear), which isn't a problem with the wide bore spiral dots.

I might have to check those out then. I'd love to find a good pair of silicones that fit and that I can use. It's nice that they have in between sizes too with these.

How large is the housing of the Bravo series (Kicker) compared to, let's say the SE846? The latter did not fit me at all.

The housing is about the same size and maybe even a touch bigger with the Bravos, but the way it is distributed and shaped due to it's 3d printed "custom" nature makes it fit differently than the 846. I will say though that if it wasn't even a close fit with the 846, the bravos might not fit you as well, but its tough to say. I personally find the aurisonics to fit better and be more comfortable, especially for long sessions, than the 846 and I have very small ears.

Your best bet may be to try a trade with someone on the forums to test them out for a bit. There are also some online retailers that also carry the new fender series and offer easy return policies as well.

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,361 of 6,413
This is exactly what I did. Without trying to goad you I will say the Forte is a very clear upgrade from the kicker and the bass stays the same. Treble is not hot at all and retains an overall smooth signature with much more striking reproduction.

I'm not a used car salesman, I swear, I merely love my new IEM's.

Did you have the fxas at all? I actually really enjoyed the FXA2 a whole lot once my ears burned in to the sound. They are pretty marvelous.

In any event, I indeed bought that deal on the fortes that B&H had going. For $250, it seemed dumb to not get the fortes especially since my only "issues" with the sound signature on the FXA2s (kicker) would most likely be rectified with a BA. I'm glad I bought them when I did too (impulse buy at like 5 AM half asleep in bed on my phone lol). I checked back they are all gone now.

So I received them yesterday and I will say wow! I am absolutely loving these things. I totally agree with your assesment on treble presentation. The BA has helped a whole lot with separation, instrumentation, and aiding the sound stage a touch. Vocals, especially in the mid and upper frequencies are much improved by being distincly separated from the lower regions, but still are natural and smooth. I'm also happy to report that the bass is every bit as powerful. I honestly am enjoying these IEMs more than my 846s (when I had them). These might be my favorite IEM I've ever owned. I am now a firm believer in hybrid IEMs!

I'm glad I didn't wait for you to pop in with your "used car salesmanship" to convince me to pick these up haha. Heck at $400 these are some of the best value IEMs. Did you also get the B&H deal while they had them?

Apr 22, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #5,362 of 6,413
Wait till you hear a harmony/fxa7 then. 
wink.gif

Still, the king of bass for me would still be the asg2.5.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #5,363 of 6,413
Yep, swiped them at $250. :)

I sent back my Kickers the moment I tried out the Forte. I agree that at $400 they blow away other competitors such as the IE80. At $250 it's downright unfair to compare them to others in that price range. I still haven't finished my review simply because I had more to say on them (i.e. more to ramble about) than I thought.

I haven't tried any units in the Fender line-up and I probably never will. I'm happy to say I've found my end-game with IEM's. I would probably enjoy the Harmony at the risk of the treble really being too hot and the Fxa7 is apparently much more balanced than the Harmony which doesn't sound very interesting to me. 

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #5,365 of 6,413
Yep, swiped them at $250. :)

I sent back my Kickers the moment I tried out the Forte. I agree that at $400 they blow away other competitors such as the IE80. At $250 it's downright unfair to compare them to others in that price range. I still haven't finished my review simply because I had more to say on them (i.e. more to ramble about) than I thought.

I haven't tried any units in the Fender line-up and I probably never will. I'm happy to say I've found my end-game with IEM's. I would probably enjoy the Harmony at the risk of the treble really being too hot and the Fxa7 is apparently much more balanced than the Harmony which doesn't sound very interesting to me. 

I couldn't agree more. The kickers/fxa2 were pretty awesome iems too, but the BA significantly helped pick up the areas that were lacking. I can't wait to read your review of them. Post back here when it's up.

As for the tuning of the forte, to my ears it is just about perfect. I find sparkly and bright treble to be rather fatiguing for longer sessions so I don't really see too much appeal to the harmony, but I could be wrong. I find this IEM to be the whole package deal. Its got comfort, style, the sound sig is damn near perfect to my ears. I think for this may be the end of the line for me as well, at least for universals. I do however want to get a good pair of customs at some point, but that's a different animal.

I tried end gaming with the forte. No. Damn. Way. That BA did nothing for the mids/treble. At $400, I would have been a fool to keep them when IEMS at $200 best it.

IMO

I completely disagree with both assesments, but different strokes for different folks. That's the beauty of this whole audio game. To my ears, the BA offered immediate and significant sound changes to the treble and mid regions. As for value, i would say quite the opposite; at $400 these are some of the best dollar-for-dollar value iems ive experienced. I can understand your side though.

So Thick, what are your fav IEMs at the moment?

Apr 24, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #5,366 of 6,413
Some of my favs are phonak pfe, dn1k, T10. The T10 and the dunu are just the smallest bit bright for me, but not bad at all. I've got the asg 1plus currently but the jury is still out on them at this point. Although I will say, I prefer it to the forte.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #5,367 of 6,413
Just went to listen to the FXA7, very impresive iem. Much better balance and less fatiguing than the Harmony, if I didnt just bot the Oriolus then I will certainly get the FXA7. V punchy and solid bass, lovely slightly warm mids and extended highs, excellent for the price. The new MMCXi plug very hard to unplug.

Strange, I have a very different opinion. They sound overly warm too me. Too much low mid. Lack of details in the highs, almost muffled sounding.

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #5,368 of 6,413
Strange, I have a very different opinion. They sound overly warm too me. Too much low mid. Lack of details in the highs, almost muffled sounding.
guess you either dont like bass or prefer a thinner sound with extended treble. What sort of music do you listen to ? Which player did you use?

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #5,369 of 6,413
guess you either dont like bass or prefer a thinner sound with extended treble. What sort of music do you listen to ? Which player did you use?

Actually not at all, I prefer a well balanced sound with significant bass presence, but a lot of multi-BA products and hybrids have too much energy in the 100-300Hz range compared to the real bass range 20-100Hz. I listen to a wide range of music, but with an emphasis on electronic music. My current players are ONKYO DP-X1 and my phone (S7).

Apr 25, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #5,370 of 6,413
Actually not at all, I prefer a well balanced sound with significant bass presence, but a lot of multi-BA products and hybrids have too much energy in the 100-300Hz range compared to the real bass range 20-100Hz. I listen to a wide range of music, but with an emphasis on electronic music. My current players are ONKYO DP-X1 and my phone (S7).
Well stated, so which iems do you like ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back