Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Apr 19, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #5,342 of 6,413
Apr 20, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #5,343 of 6,413
I have been running my fxa2s through the paces and I have noticed two things that I have never experienced with a pair of iems before. One is that included silcone tips are actually pretty awesome, provide a good seal, and to my ears actually sound better with these (aka kicker) than foams. They are actually very comfortable and I love being able to quickly take the iems out and put them in.

The second thing I have noticed that i've never experienced and which I need help with is that if the fxa's aren't seated perfectly with silicone tips, the sound is significantly dimished. What I can hear happening is that whatever back pressure there is from the iem slightly pulling outward against a good seal, the suction pulls the speaker diaphragm forward and causes terrible sound quality. Heck, it may even be damaging the iem?!

So what can I do about this? I have never had this happen to me, although I'll admit that I have most of my iem experience with BAs. One other thing to note is that this does not happen at all and no matter what I do if I am wearing foams. Only with silicone.

Its such a shame because for the first time in my life, I think I would actually prefer using the silicones with these iems. I never would have thought I'd hear (or read) myself saying that.... :p

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #5,344 of 6,413
That's driver flex. The bravo (and FXA series it seems) suffers that from my experience. From what I've researched driver flex doesn't really damage drivers (or at least it has to flex more than the usual life time for any significant damage to show) and that you just have to position correctly for it to "pop" back so to speak.

It's mostly because there's a pretty tight seal when you pop them in. If it bothers you try sizing down on your tips or pull your ear down when you insert them to relieve pressure?

Apr 20, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,345 of 6,413
That's driver flex. The bravo (and FXA series it seems) suffers that from my experience. From what I've researched driver flex doesn't really damage drivers (or at least it has to flex more than the usual life time for any significant damage to show) and that you just have to position correctly for it to "pop" back so to speak.

It's mostly because there's a pretty tight seal when you pop them in. If it bothers you try sizing down on your tips or pull your ear down when you insert them to relieve pressure?
My silicon causes a flex when I move my head say looking up then looking down.

Apr 22, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #5,349 of 6,413
My silicon causes a flex when I move my head say looking up then looking down.
Yeah it happens to me when I am chewing or my mouth isn't wide open. I got some new t200 foams that actually fit. Guess my old ones were stretched out and loose. So foam it is! I may still use the the silicones occasionally because I think they are seriously awesome.

Apr 22, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #5,350 of 6,413
Yeah it happens to me when I am chewing or my mouth isn't wide open. I got some new t200 foams that actually fit. Guess my old ones were stretched out and loose. So foam it is! I may still use the the silicones occasionally because I think they are seriously awesome.
Yeah foams after say two three months will loose a bit of seal. Not always bad cause I can just slide them is and go. New ones I can easily feel the tighter seal. Some say squeeze the foam, slide it, allow it to expand and thats it.

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #5,351 of 6,413
Yeah foams after say two three months will loose a bit of seal. Not always bad cause I can just slide them is and go. New ones I can easily feel the tighter seal. Some say squeeze the foam, slide it, allow it to expand and thats it.

I actually prefer foams that have broken in. The problem I was having was that my old pair of t200s were on a pair os UE900s for a while. The plastic nozzle inside the foam was so stretched out that when I put them on the FXAs, they slid right on with zero effort. Then when I took the out, the foams got stuck in my ears because they just slid right off :anguished:. Had to use tweezers to get them out lol.

I will say that I did manage to get some shure foams (for SE models) on the FXAs pretty easily. Getting them off though was a b!$ch!

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #5,353 of 6,413
Apr 22, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #5,354 of 6,413
Hah, nah just saying that if he wants silicone he could look into those. I like comply tips, but there's something about my ears that causes them to disintegrate in like 3 weeks. Gets too expensive to keep up.

Apr 22, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #5,355 of 6,413
Hah, nah just saying that if he wants silicone he could look into those. I like comply tips, but there's something about my ears that causes them to disintegrate in like 3 weeks. Gets too expensive to keep up.

Yeah foams can be a pain in the ass and start to get pretty expensive (relatively speaking. I suppose the one thing that has become cumbersome with foams is the amount of time it takes to insert them. I've been finding myself getting interrupted lately and being able to take iems on and off easily is becoming more and more attractive.

So about those spiral dots, I just took a look at them. Is there anything there to the dots and how they help to reduce noise reflection and all this jazz? Or is that like asking someone if burn-in is real?

I'm thinking I'll start experimenting with different silicones, but keep foams on deck for when I know I am going in for long listening sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back